California is a sorry excuse for a state

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
dont forget salt is going away to and earthquakes. Also the homelessness problem and the fires that pop up out of nowhere. Illegal immigration, gas tax and so forth

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
A quick Google search showed McDonald's profits for 2016 at $1.09 billion and Walmart at $121.15 billion so no in McDonald's case.

Still a billion in profit means you can afford to pay your people better than minimum wage.

Most McDs restaurants are operated by franchisees who aren't raking in billions in revenue.

Regardless, it's generally not a smart move to pay people more than they are worth.

rod

Retired 22 years
Most McDs restaurants are operated by franchisees who aren't raking in billions in revenue.

Regardless, it's generally not a smart move to pay people more than they are worth.

Maybe not billions but they aren't exactly living in poverty either. I know a guy who owns 5 McD's and a guy who owns 4 Wendy's. They both live pretty extravagant lives with fancy lake homes here and winter homes in Fla. plus LOTS of toys and trophy wives.

59 Dano

The service sector is quickly becoming the largest sector for employment, yet is the lowest paid.

Like it or not, with the loss of manufacturing, North America is quickly becoming a service oriented society.

Factory jobs are going unfilled in my area. The area has been experiencing strong manufacturing growth for most of the previous ten years. Starting pay near $20/hour for most jobs in those newer plants that are nothing like the old stereotypical factory (dirty, noisy, unsafe, physically demanding).

Here's the messed up part... The older plants where the jobs pay less and you stand in one place all day doing monotonous repetitive work don't have as many problems with staffing and retention. The newer plants require active participation in a team environment, among other things. They are having problems.

59 Dano

Maybe not billions but they aren't exactly living in poverty either. I know a guy who owns 5 McD's and a guy who owns 4 Wendy's. They both live pretty extravagant lives with fancy lake homes here and winter homes in Fla. plus LOTS of toys and trophy wives.

Happy for them.

Star B

White Lightening
Here's the messed up part... The older plants where the jobs pay less and you stand in one place all day doing monotonous repetitive work don't have as many problems with staffing and retention. The newer plants require active participation in a team environment, among other things. They are having problems.
Are the old plants full of old-timers that don't want to move because of age? I also knew places that didn't have staffing problems, paid like crap, but were full of temps.

59 Dano

Are the old plants full of old-timers that don't want to move because of age? I also knew places that didn't have staffing problems, paid like crap, but were full of temps.

I don't know how many of the existing plants' employees are old farts but they have don't have the problems finding and retaining new hires.

dmac1

If we allow corporations to pay less than a wage people can live on, we end up with what we have now- people working full-time and still needing help from the rest of us. That means that instead of the employer paying enough to live a basic life, we the taxpayers end up paying.

I can't see how any intelligent person can want their taxes to be higher so McDonalds can pay less. We need to demand, or require, that any employer pays at least enough to live on, including a basic home, food, utilities, transportation to be able to go to work, and medical care.

Until employers pay enough to live on, your taxes will be higher than they need to be. Yes, there will still be people who can't work, or won't work, or are unhirable for some other reason, but a large % of people collecting social benefits are working people.

You and I are subsidizing employers like Walmart and McDonalds indirectly. That takes them out of the 'free market' ideal where employers succeeed or fail on their own. Demanding fair pay, a livable wage, would reduce the level of subsidy. I'd rather pay 10 cents more for a burger the few times a year I eat fast food than to pay higher taxes to support a company I don't really care about. Let McDonalds fail or succeed on their own while demanding that their workers get paid enough to live on.

We could greatly reduce the dollars spend on the aid, plus the tax dollars spent on the bureaucracy managing that aid if employers were required to pay enough to live on if they want to stay in business.

bacha29

Burger flippers should be paid enough to live on. Otherwise, you and I pay to help them survive.
Many low paid service workers still qualify for CHIP's. medical assistance. food stamps. reduced school lunches etc and at least some work for Fortune 500 companies. The troubling aspect is that if the Kinsey Global Institute's projections are correct the US workforce will contract in size not expand.

dmac1

Look, you morons. Don't sit around waiting for the govment to make private businesses pay 15/hr. Grow the economy so they can't make money because they can't hire enough employees. When companies have to compete for labor, wages naturally go up. I saw this during the Reagan administration. Companies were offering good wages, healthcare, free gyms, day care, to get employees. It's possible. You people settle for shiZ. When did the government, who doesn't have any money, doesn't produce anything, and only exists by confiscating wealth become so good! Don't be stupid!
Inflation was rampant during the Reagan administration, and interest rates were high. That's why wages rose. Reagan spent us into the largest deficit spending spree and artificially inflated the demand for workers with wasteful defense spending.

What do you think gov't does with your taxes??????? Are you slow?????

They don't confiscate it and lock it in a vault. They SPEND it, and even more. In our country, we don't really want the government producing things. Otherwise, they could set up oil companies, and sell oil without paying royalties, build houses, etc. We have decided that some things- like policing and our courts should be paid for directly by government, and national defense, and some help for the poor. That takes people, and would probably end up costing more if we paid private companies to patrol our streets or defend our embassies.

Saying that the government 'confiscates' wealth is stupid. They may 'redistribute money, but don't try telling me that the Koch bros have had their wealth confiscated. An argument is easily made that they have benefitted the most from living in the USA, have used our infrastructure more, and have cost the rest of us, and pay no where close to the amount they should be paying.