California

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I like California, always enjoyed my time there.

I do like driving down to the redwoods just south of the California/Oregon border. Del Norte and Humboldt county are beautiful places. When I was a child my grandparents used to take me out on Lake Shasta in their pleasure boat. I really love the scenic drive thru the redwoods on 199 between Crescent City and Cave Junction OR. Any further south than that, though, and I start getting a bit nauseous. Sorry, but you couldnt pay me enough to live in or visit SoCal, unless I was flying down to see an Oakland Raiders game.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I do like driving down to the redwoods just south of the California/Oregon border. Del Norte and Humboldt county are beautiful places. When I was a child my grandparents used to take me out on Lake Shasta in their pleasure boat. I really love the scenic drive thru the redwoods on 199 between Crescent City and Cave Junction OR. Any further south than that, though, and I start getting a bit nauseous. Sorry, but you couldnt pay me enough to live in or visit SoCal, unless I was flying down to see an Oakland Raiders game.
Everyone's got their thing. I've been to Monterey too ( I think that's as far north as I've been) and I liked it there. It's a big state, lots to do, I guess the only place that I didn't really care for that much was LA itself mainly because you could see the big polluted smog cloud just hanging over the city as you flew into LAX although I think they've taken steps to address that.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Been to Monterey....liked it better than artsy-fartsy Carmel!! Better antique shops.

We drove to Portland.
I was surprised to see decorated cow statues on all the street corners in downtown Portland.

Liked the Shasta area of our drive.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I love Del Taco both mine and the Barstow one is regular top for us on the way to Vegas.

Funny, but my favorite menu item of theirs is the regular hamburger (just has ketchup & pickle).....love it !!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Via SacBee:
Legislation introduced Tuesday would give about 400,000 undocumented immigrants in California the same rights as citizens tounemployment benefits and various othergovernment services.

Assembly Bill 35 targets a select group of undocumented immigrants, participants in President Barack Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, who came to the United States as youths and have lived generally productive lives for numerous years.

Gov. Jerry Brown signed legislation, effective Jan. 1, that enables participants in the federal program to obtain California driver’s licenses. AB 35 would provide them with rights to a state ID card, unemployment benefits and state-administered medical services.

AB 35 was proposed by Assemblyman Roger Hernández, a West Covina Democrat who was named chairman of the Assembly Labor and Employment Committee this month.

“California embodies the greatest diversity in the world,” Hernández said in a written statement. “We recognize we will need the collective skills and talents of these young immigrants to aid out state in reaching our true potential

moreluck

golden ticket member
15d1fzl.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
Entertainment on the way.

Via Daily Caller:
California Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein — a staunch supporter of gun control — may soon regret not registering her own domain name, since senatorfeinstein.com will now be run by a firearm parts and accessories store that will use the site to promote gun rights.

“COMING SOON! Senator Feinstein’s Biggest Fan Page,” reads the title of the new pro-gun site. “Someone didnt [sic] register their own name… This should be fun. Thats right Dianne your biggest fan site is going to be run by AresArmor”

The domain name was created by California resident Dimitrios Karras on Jan. 4, 2013, according to GoDaddy. Karros is the CEO of the gun parts and accessories store Ares Armor, which will now run the site.

“It’s funny,” Karras told the Daily Caller News Foundation, adding that his company was not very good at political correctness. “This is going to be an entertaining thing.”

Karras said that he was frustrated when he saw how Feinstein and other members of Congress managed the commenters that criticize them on their Facebook pages, and that he wanted to have platform where people could say whatever they wanted.

“[Feinstein's] got a big mouth on her, she thinks she’s pretty much the queen of the state. She almost thinks she’s the queen of the country,” he said.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Cal - Fresh" is the new name for food stamps in California. The CalFresh Program, federally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), can add to your food budget to put healthy and nutritious food on the table. The program issues monthly electronic benefits that can be used to buy most foods at many markets and food stores.

Carts will still be filled with soda and chips no matter what you call the program.