California

BrownArmy

Actually if you add up costs of social services, crime, border enforcement, education, and medical it does add up to tens of billions a year which adds up to hundreds of billions spent over a decade. And border patrol backing up a wall would be the most effective way to keep them out. Or we could just beef up the border patrol and make it impossible to get past. That is until a more accommodating administration tells the bp to stand down.

Nope.

It's not 'up to tens of billions a year which adds up to hundreds of billions spent over a decade'...

Sorry.

wkmac

Walls work in both directions. Still old enough to remember the Iron Curtain and what that came to represent. No way am I willing to trust these bastards now a days and risk that.

Hell no.

Besides, one good thing about illegals is they keep black and gray markets alive and you never know when that will come in handy!

vantexan

Have you factored in the taxes that the undocumented population pays?

What they pay into SS?

Has it occurred to you that, if they disappeared, our economy would take a MASSIVE hit?
I don't have to factor. Google how much illegal aliens cost the U.S. and see for yourself. And how much they pay in taxes is factored in. If you think there's no downside to illegal immigration then you haven't given it much thought. And the wall would be worth it if it greatly slowed down the criminal element and drugs from getting in.

vantexan

Not even that.

Most of our 'migration' problem, at this point, is overstayed visas.

How high you gonna build a wall to stop that?
There is some of that, but it isn't most. And please hear me on this...no one is talking about sending them all back. That was bluster from Trump to get him elected. The focus is on ridding our country of the criminals. And the wall is to discourage further illegal immigration, and again greatly slow down the rate of drugs. Those flying in and overstaying their visas aren't hauling in drugs, and are usually people of means. Not so with those coming across our southern border, who are very much straining our social services.

wkmac

I keep hearing this figure that illegal aliens cost $113 billion annually and I just have a hard time accepting that number. Best estimates are that the US has 13 million illegal aliens present inside the country and if you take and divide out to equal proportions, that equates to each illegal getting right at $9k annually. A family of 6 illegals for example would have the equivalent income of $50k annually.

Now obviously the money doesn't go out so proportionally and can be spent out as a cost across a wide spectrum of welfare and other forms of public assistance or gov't action. But if you took any group of 13 million people and placed an annual economic input of $113 billion dollars into it, that group's rising living standards would become to damn obvious to ignore. I don't see that standard across the so-called illegal alien community, in fact mostly the opposite. Even their underground economy speaks to this.

So if there is $113 billion public monies going to illegals, the burden is on you to show me where that money is going and like all other forms of welfare, I'll ask this simple question.

In whose bank account do the welfare or public dollars finally come to rest in at the end of the economic transaction journey? That is who the ultimately beneficiary is and the one who wants the system itself to perpetuate. $113 billion is big business and I suspect many at the end of the day are talking out of both sides of their mouths on this issue and thus I trust none of them. The most vocal are at the top of the list.

wkmac

Another point (2 points actually) about California.

1) Most of the people complaining about California the loudest don't even live there to begin with.

And

2) Californians often complain about everyone else because they don't think and live like Californians.

friend:ck All Ya'll!

vantexan

I keep hearing this figure that illegal aliens cost $113 billion annually and I just have a hard time accepting that number. Best estimates are that the US has 13 million illegal aliens present inside the country and if you take and divide out to equal proportions, that equates to each illegal getting right at $9k annually. A family of 6 illegals for example would have the equivalent income of $50k annually.

Now obviously the money doesn't go out so proportionally and can be spent out as a cost across a wide spectrum of welfare and other forms of public assistance or gov't action. But if you took any group of 13 million people and placed an annual economic input of $113 billion dollars into it, that group's rising living standards would become to damn obvious to ignore. I don't see that standard across the so-called illegal alien community, in fact mostly the opposite. Even their underground economy speaks to this.

So if there is $113 billion public monies going to illegals, the burden is on you to show me where that money is going and like all other forms of welfare, I'll ask this simple question.

In whose bank account do the welfare or public dollars finally come to rest in at the end of the economic transaction journey? That is who the ultimately beneficiary is and the one who wants the system itself to perpetuate. $113 billion is big business and I suspect many at the end of the day are talking out of both sides of their mouths on this issue and thus I trust none of them. The most vocal are at the top of the list.
You're focused on the social services but look at the % of Federal prison inmates who are illegal. Look at the emergency rooms that have been shut down because of all the illegals who couldn't pay. Trump has used that $113 billion number but I'm reading the number probably is in the $50 billion range. That adds up quick though. And if the country is broke then it's money we can't afford.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I don't have to factor. Google how much illegal aliens cost the U.S. and see for yourself. And how much they pay in taxes is factored in. If you think there's no downside to illegal immigration then you haven't given it much thought. And the wall would be worth it if it greatly slowed down the criminal element and drugs from getting in.
I took a brief look at the study that came up with that 113 billion number, it's kind of a freaking joke man.

wkmac

I took a brief look at the study that came up with that 113 billion number, it's kind of a freaking joke man.

I compared State budgets to per capita spending and that alone raised a red flag for me about some of the cost claims lumped on illegals. No doubt there is costs and yes even some cheating but is this more a red herring than anything else?

Not enough facts on the table to convince at this point or at the least I'm still skeptical. If it is true it costs that much, proves once more how terrible gov't is in doing anything!

:happy-very:

vantexan

As I pointed out from what I've read costs are more in line with $50 billion+ a year. Take into account the damage done by drugs too. And take into account the jobs lost by citizens. Which will only get worse if we continue to let millions more come across. Already it's being reported by bp that crossings are wsy down because this administration is serious about not letting them. But if Republicans are refusing to build the wall it's because they want cheap labor. So without it eventually we'll be back to business as usual.

It will be fine

As I pointed out from what I've read costs are more in line with $50 billion+ a year. Take into account the damage done by drugs too. And take into account the jobs lost by citizens. Which will only get worse if we continue to let millions more come across. Already it's being reported by bp that crossings are wsy down because this administration is serious about not letting them. But if Republicans are refusing to build the wall it's because they want cheap labor. So without it eventually we'll be back to business as usual.
Can't stop the drugs, the demand is too high. If you want to talk about wasting government money that's where you should start. All money spent on prohibition is wasted. This includes all the citizens imprisoned and denied future employment due to nonviolent drug offenses.

vantexan

Can't stop the drugs, the demand is too high. If you want to talk about wasting government money that's where you should start. All money spent on prohibition is wasted. This includes all the citizens imprisoned and denied future employment due to nonviolent drug offenses.
If you're talking pot looks like that genie is out of the bottle. I don't care how much we spend on it, we should never stop fighting the distribution and use of hard drugs.

It will be fine

If you're talking pot looks like that genie is out of the bottle. I don't care how much we spend on it, we should never stop fighting the distribution and use of hard drugs.
Why? Has is it ever worked? Seriously, is there any instance where prohibition was effective in curbing drug use? People are going to party, can't stop it.