California

moreluck

golden ticket member
The Santa Anna winds are not always as strong is this last event. And the same for the Diablo winds up north. Those strong winds change the fire into a fire storm. You could clear a mile around your home and still have it burn down in one of these events.
It happens every year...….weak or strong!!! It's called "weather". If it's not you cup of tea, move to Fargo!!

MAKAVELI

Nah. I’m on board with climate change but not with giving it the primary blame here. California and its utility companies need to do better.
Wildfires are increasing throughout the Western US, not just California. And worldwide for that matter.

It will be fine

I hope affected areas instruct their utility companies and forestry departments to intelligently mitigate their effects or prevent them in the first place.
I’m pretty sure they told the utilities to clean it up and gave them millions to do it. They spent it on cocaine and hookers and here we are. Public private partnerships at their finest.

newfie

Nah. I’m on board with climate change but not with giving it the primary blame here. California and its utility companies need to do better.

agreed. on the east coast they have made an effort to prevent power outages by aggressively trimming trees back from power lines which has helped a lot.

on the other hand I had the pleasure of recently taking a vacation through central California and up US 1 coast line. The hidden secret of California is that most of their 36 million residents live in the cities. There is so much open land in between the cities that is barely populated. trimming back the trees and building the needed fire breaks would be a huge and very expensive undertaking .

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
agreed. on the east coast they have made an effort to prevent power outages by aggressively trimming trees back from power lines which has helped a lot.

on the other hand I had the pleasure of recently taking a vacation through central California and up US 1 coast line. The hidden secret of California is that most of their 36 million residents live in the cities. There is so much open land in between the cities that is barely populated. trimming back the trees and building the needed fire breaks would be a huge and very expensive undertaking .
More expensive than a wildfire?