California

Mutineer

It is arguable there is a strong genetic component to the kinds of behavior that cause people to end up as a customer to the prison system. Mental illness and drug/alcohol addiction are also very inheritable and go hand in hand to a lifetime of criminal behavior.

Nothing will change for the better until mental health facilities are no longer a thing of the past, and drugs and alcohol are demonized and rendered socially unacceptable the same way as tobacco.

People talk about de-funding the police. As a side effect, I believe that a program that gives a cash award to anyone who has a history of addict or criminal behavior to be sterilized would go a very long way towards that idea.

It would be interesting to see the effect (if any) twenty-five years after the implementation of such a program.

I know, eugenics, only in Utopia.

rod

Retired 22 years
You know as well as I do that prison is a revolving door for many violent criminals. They have a 64% recidivism rate. You want to roll the dice with them reoffending against someone you love? I don’t. Y’all have fun! Glad I’m over 3,000 miles away from there.
I would say the % should be higher than that because a good chunk of them just haven’t been caught doing crime again - like we all know they are doing.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member

Californians who care about their state should take notes from the people of Austin, TX, who fought hard to take back their city.
Or we can just reply with a :wink-very: because California's homeless situation (and they're a protected class here) is out of control.

From your article:
"In the end, we won the votes of at least 40 percent of Democrats, at least 85 percent of independents, and at least 90 percent of Republicans. That’s what a winning coalition looks like. If a victory like this is possible in Austin, one of the most progressive cities in America, then it is possible anywhere. The necessary ingredients were these: a true nonpartisan partnership; a focus on data, organizing, volunteer recruitment, fundraising, and efficient voter contact; and absolute relentlessness."

This wasn't a Trump or Republican led thing, it was humankind saying enough. Anyone thinking California's problem is not a serious matter needs to have their head examined.

This, despite the bay-area leftist enjoying stepping over excrement everyday and not getting proper care for these people. :speechless:

vantexan

Or we can just reply with a :wink-very: because California's homeless situation (and they're a protected class here) is out of control.

From your article:
"In the end, we won the votes of at least 40 percent of Democrats, at least 85 percent of independents, and at least 90 percent of Republicans. That’s what a winning coalition looks like. If a victory like this is possible in Austin, one of the most progressive cities in America, then it is possible anywhere. The necessary ingredients were these: a true nonpartisan partnership; a focus on data, organizing, volunteer recruitment, fundraising, and efficient voter contact; and absolute relentlessness."

This wasn't a Trump or Republican led thing, it was humankind saying enough. Anyone thinking California's problem is not a serious matter needs to have their head examined.

This, despite the bay-area leftist enjoying stepping over excrement everyday and not getting proper care for these people. :speechless:
Notice that about 60% of Democrats voted against it. More and more Democrats are moving to Texas, especially from California. Very possible Texas will be a blue state by 2024. If so with California, New York, Illinois, and Texas it will be about impossible for a Republican to win the presidency. And if Dems fail to make D.C. and Puerto Rico states they might still get two Dem senators in Texas.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

Californians who care about their state should take notes from the people of Austin, TX, who fought hard to take back their city.

From your article:

Notice that about 60% of Democrats voted against it. More and more Democrats are moving to Texas, especially from California. Very possible Texas will be a blue state by 2024. If so with California, New York, Illinois, and Texas it will be about impossible for a Republican to win the presidency. And if Dems fail to make D.C. and Puerto Rico states they might still get two Dem senators in Texas.
I would like to point out that the average Democrat in Texas is a lot more Conservative than West Coast or East Coast Democrats.

vantexan

I would like to point out that the average Democrat in Texas is a lot more Conservative than West Coast or East Coast Democrats.
Democrats in Austin aren't average. It was always considered liberal even when Dallas and Houston were still conservative. Primarily due to the huge university and eventually the tech industry. Look at the state's current population. It's had huge growth in the last 20 years. A lot of that was from liberal areas. And the major cities are all considered somewhat liberal now. I do wish I could see the look on the faces of Californians who decided to move to hip and trendy Austin when they experience their first summer there. Beautiful terrain in Austin, but the heat and humidity is nasty.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member

‘Constant emergency zone’: Calls for change mount as homeless encampment fills Venice boardwalk, crime increases

With a homeless encampment stretching across much of the Venice Beach boardwalk and a spate of recent crimes alarming residents, the calls for city officials to take action have grown to a cacophony.

The numbers were already climbing before the pandemic: 2020 data showed a 57% increase in the number of homeless people in Venice over the previous year — far greater than the increase in the city as a whole, which was 16.1%.

“It’s the worst I’ve seen in 20 years,” Venice resident John Betz told KTLA.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

‘Constant emergency zone’: Calls for change mount as homeless encampment fills Venice boardwalk, crime increases

With a homeless encampment stretching across much of the Venice Beach boardwalk and a spate of recent crimes alarming residents, the calls for city officials to take action have grown to a cacophony.

The numbers were already climbing before the pandemic: 2020 data showed a 57% increase in the number of homeless people in Venice over the previous year — far greater than the increase in the city as a whole, which was 16.1%.

“It’s the worst I’ve seen in 20 years,” Venice resident John Betz told KTLA.
Very sad. I sure hope the calls for city officials to take action result in change. No one should have to live that way.

rod

Retired 22 years
Oh, we import them from your neck of the woods...No worries for you, too cold there. :teethy:
You know it used to be that way until the Dems made Minnesota so accommodating for them. Even cold weather don't keep them peckerheads out anymore. Its not bad farther north where I live but I will say our county jail is full of riff raff that was given a one way ticket out of Chicago to Minneapolis only to think they can come up here and sell their drugs. They don't realize the Indians control the drug trade around here :-)

El Correcto

god is dead
1626716786692.jpeg

hopefully the next governor of California Larry Elder.