Called in and harassed question

SmithBarney

If he asks for the note from the doctor tell him you don't have it but you'll be filing a grievance under article 37 tomorrow.

If he asks for a note, tell him you don't go to the DR for diarrhea... but would a poo stained underwear be ok?

or as mentioned above.. tell them you'll need to take another sick day to return to the Dr for a note.

slingblade

If he asks for a note, tell him you don't go to the DR for diarrhea... but would a poo stained underwear be ok?

or as mentioned above.. tell them you'll need to take another sick day to return to the Dr for a note.

we had a guy get fired for the biological hazard part of doing that when he presented the boss with crappy toilet paper to prove he had to go to the bathroom. Wonder if he had a craphouse lawyer suggest the idea to him...:)

Last edited by a moderator:

shagNasty

I got a warning letter for calling in too much once. UPS sent it to me registered mail. I had to call in so I could go to the post office and pick it up. Probably doesn't apply here but I've been drinking, so…

Sent using BrownCafe App

C

chuchu

We say this: "I'm taking myself out of service for today". Nothing more is needed.

When they ask why we say: "Your question violates federal HIPPA law and also Article 37".

Article 37 says "the employer will treat the emloyees with respect". Asking an employee personal questions violates Art. 37.

We had a driver call in "sick" and then was sighted playing in the city golf tournament when we were very short staffed (more than the normal critical mass manning). They couldn't fire him for dishonesty but it added incentive for his termination when he finally gave management a valid reason later.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
we had a guy get fired for the biological hazard part of doing that when he presented the boss with crappy toilet paper to prove he had to go to the bathroom. Wonder if he had a craphouse lawyer suggest the idea to him...:)
Seriously?? lmao...When I was on TAW in small sort...the sup gave me lip once because I told him I was going to use the bathroom for the 2nd time. So I asked if he wanted to come watch me change my tampon...that shut him up...lol.

slingblade

We say this: "I'm taking myself out of service for today". Nothing more is needed.

When they ask why we say: "Your question violates federal HIPPA law and also Article 37".

Article 37 says "the employer will treat the emloyees with respect". Asking an employee personal questions violates Art. 37.

We had a driver call in "sick" and then was sighted playing in the city golf tournament when we were very short staffed (more than the normal critical mass manning). They couldn't fire him for dishonesty but it added incentive for his termination when he finally gave management a valid reason later.

I always enjoy watching you rebels fight with the boss everyday. Makes a boring job a bit more entertaining...:)
As for me I rarely miss time. Boss seems to understand when I do.

C

chuchu

I always enjoy watching you rebels fight with the boss everyday. Makes a boring job a bit more entertaining...:)
As for me I rarely miss time. Boss seems to understand when I do.
There's no fighting involved. We have to deal with the same questions about WHY you're out of service for the day.

Why you call people who are sick or have a sick child "rebels" is invalidated to me but if you can type and spell you can interject all the wisdom you want to share right here on BC.

What I stated before was the "out of service" response to an ignorant and leading management question that most hourly deal with. Glad you get entertained by that.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I average less than one sick call per year, in 27 yrs I have never once called in during peak, and I once went 4 years without a single sick day.

When I do call in, they say "sorry you are sick, get better, and let us know when you can come back."

Sent using BrownCafe App

Back first

I average less than one sick call per year, in 27 yrs I have never once called in during peak, and I once went 4 years without a single sick day.

When I do call in, they say "sorry you are sick, get better, and let us know when you can come back."

Sent using BrownCafe App
I wish every center is as caring as yours. Everyday my centers give the same drivers the day off when we are over staffed because it is benefits them. I call in and say I am booking off then hang up.

blkmamba

This is a stretch for harassment, now if they kept calling you and asking why, that would be harassment. Just asking for a simple explanation is not treating an employee with disrespect.

C

chuchu

This is a stretch for harassment, now if they kept calling you and asking why, that would be harassment. Just asking for a simple explanation is not treating an employee with disrespect.
Reread my post. It says nothing about harassment. It talks about respecting the employee's privacy.

Out of service is out of service. I wouldn't ask one of them why they were taking the day off. They only need to know that you won't be in that day. It wont have a bearing on getting a "pass" on an attendance infraction in our center whether you are sick or your child is sick or you have to be off for another personal reason. Its not about harassment unless they continuously pry or push the issue.....which happens a lot here.

blkmamba

Reread my post. It says nothing about harassment. It talks about respecting the employee's privacy.

Out of service is out of service. I wouldn't ask one of them why they were taking the day off. They only need to know that you won't be in that day. It wont have a bearing on getting a "pass" on an attendance infraction in our center whether you are sick or your child is sick or you have to be off for another personal reason. Its not about harassment unless they continuously pry or push the issue.....which happens a lot here.

How does asking a personal questions violate Art. 37 (respect). I think it is a natural response when someone says they are sick, to want to know what is wrong.

jaker

trolling
Back in my younger years when I called in sick and they would start with the why , I would say well you are my Sup my dick has burning when I pee , Can you tell me what's wrong with it

I been hung up on a few times over that and the ones who paused wouldn't look at me for a few days

Now I just call and say I am sick and every once in awhile I get some questions from a new sup and every answer after that is no until they hang up

C

chuchu

How does asking a personal questions violate Art. 37 (respect). I think it is a natural response when someone says they are sick, to want to know what is wrong.
Because, in our center, the management often questions the employee in depth about what is wrong with them and tries to goad them to come into work anyway. This has been a common tactic in centers around ours and it gets to be aggravating.

That's one reason we just tell them that we are "out of service" and just hang up.
The other reason is that, like I referenced earlier, if you say that you are sick and they see you out playing golf or whatever they have brought up integrity issues against the employee.

Do whatever you want to in regards to calling in. That's your deal. I don't care.

We don't give them rope to hang us with or the authority to cross examine why we aren't coming in by saying we're sick. We are out of service. Period. It sets boundaries where we work.

C

chuchu

Besides all that, it transgresses HIPPA law. If you don't believe me just ask the center manager what is wrong with an employee that called in sick. THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TELL YOU....it is against a federal privacy law called HIPPA.

Ask HR about it if the management team doesn't understand. Training will commence pretty quickly.

CharleyHustle

I have yet to find anything more amusing than when a center manager thinks that they can discipline an hourly employee for taking advantage of a benefit that the company gives its employees.

Our tyrant of a center manager was trying to threaten people with the dreaded warning letter because they were calling in sick/personal during blizzard conditions. I can't wait for the TLA that I'll get when it comes time for me to take a vacation or work my election day.

people.

The proper response to your super is "yeah whatever"

If I'd have gotten a warning letter every time a boss threatened me with a warning letter, I'd have been fired 20 years ago. They threaten workers with warning letters because it does work on some people.