Called in and harassed question

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
How does asking a personal questions violate Art. 37 (respect). I think it is a natural response when someone says they are sick, to want to know what is wrong.
Not unless your sup is also a doctor.....we are not required to discuss the symptoms of our "illness" when calling off. Saying you taking a sick day and will not be coming in is all they need to know.

CharleyHustle

I started with Bloody Mary's and now I'm just sipping some chardonnay. Next time I call in I'm thinking of saying "hey boss I'm wasted, what ya got for me?".

slingblade

What I stated before was the "out of service" response to an ignorant and leading management question that most hourly deal with. Glad you get entertained by that.

okie dokie. If I ever drop from a heart attack in front of the boss , I sure do hope he or she harasses me by asking me what's wrong.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I remember a long time ago when I was on my 23rd day of driving I tried to call in sick and they made me come in. To lighten my load they sent out my supervisor with me and took quite a few stops off me. We got in early that day as I recollect, and while I was in the bathroom my center manager came in and asked me how I was doing. I turned to speak to him but nothing but puke came out as he tried to move away from me. I got him from both knees to his shoes. He got his answer.

rod

Retired 22 years
I average less than one sick call per year, in 27 yrs I have never once called in during peak, and I once went 4 years without a single sick day.

When I do call in, they say "sorry you are sick, get better, and let us know when you can come back."

Sent using BrownCafe App

I hadn't missed a day for the first 17 years then one day I screwed my back up and went out on comp. My center manager called me at home and told me to get my ass back to work because he knew I was faking it. You can't make this stuff up. What a nice company to work for.

twizzle

I can see why people get upset about getting grilled on the phone. at the same time I have to admit there are too many lazy azzes that get away with too many call outs and make it harder for me and others that come to work every day. You know if you are getting grilled for missing too much work then you may have a problem. If you are getting grilled for the first call out in five years then management has a problem.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Next time your in the office with them and you kinda know whats coming, put your cell phone on video record and have the eye of the phone hanging out of your shirt pocket to record. After their done ask are you done and are you ready to go to court cause i just video recorded that and ill have to bring it to my lawyer and decide how to go forth with any type of action i may need to take against you. And with a big smile say I GOT YOU SUCKA I OWN YOU NOW lol.

twizzle

better research your state laws before you follow his advice. that would be illegal to do in qu
Next time your in the office with them and you kinda know whats coming, put your cell phone on video record and have the eye of the phone hanging out of your shirt pocket to record. After their done ask are you done and are you ready to go to court cause i just video recorded that and ill have to bring it to my lawyer and decide how to go forth with any type of action i may need to take against you. And with a big smile say I GOT YOU SUCKA I OWN YOU NOW lol.

better do your homework. recording without consent is illegal in many states.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Its like a dirty street fight with these idiots, you try n win by any means necessary. If you gotta throw dirt in their eyes to blind em, you gotta do what you gotta do in war. No rules on their side then im sure as hell cheating too lol.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I have a quick question I have been with ups for a couple years and know how management is so I know half the answer to my question but here it is .. I called in today and it was an hour and a half before start time ( twilight sort) I have 5 sick days that I have earned but I call in and the manager questions me on why I can't come in and telling me I'm not sick harassing me for a few minutes before saying I have to bring a valid doctors note or I will be documented and that he doesn't have to pay me .. I'm in the union so I know as long as it's an hour before start I can use my sick days whenever I want. Any advice or answers to any truths behind his claims ? Or just typical management fuss ?

"This is ....... I won't be in today." Hang up the phone.

Rinse and repeat.

If you don't have an attendance problem, take a deep breath....and go back to sleep.

Like a noisy neighbor, you cannot control a punk boss. So enjoy yourself.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I can see why people get upset about getting grilled on the phone. at the same time I have to admit there are too many lazy azzes that get away with too many call outs and make it harder for me and others that come to work every day. You know if you are getting grilled for missing too much work then you may have a problem. If you are getting grilled for the first call out in five years then management has a problem.

I make it my business to worry about myself, and no one else. Why should I care if someone else calls in sick?

My day is my day.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Its like a dirty street fight with these idiots, you try n win by any means necessary. If you gotta throw dirt in their eyes to blind em, you gotta do what you gotta do in war. No rules on their side then im sure as hell cheating too lol.
Don't record anything inside ups without permission....that could end up biting you in the A**. If you're called to the office, make sure you have a witness and there's no need to videotape anything.

C

chuchu

okie dokie. If I ever drop from a heart attack in front of the boss , I sure do hope he or she harasses me by asking me what's wrong.
We're talking about calling in. Not needing medical assistance on the job.

Are you calling into work to ask for medical assistance because you're passing out, having a heart attack or similar issue or are you going to call 911?

Brilliant statement. You just like to argue? Let's talk apples to apples..

Last edited by a moderator:
We're talking about calling in. Not needing medical assistance on the job.

Are you calling into work to ask for medical assistance because you're passing out, having a heart attack or similar issue or are you going to call 911?

arguing is overrated

Nimnim

The Nim
When you call in and you have available option or sick time, or even if you don't, just say you're not going to make it in that day. If they ask you what's wrong be truthful, either it be you're sick, got the runs, or won't be in for personal reasons. Them asking what's wrong isn't a problem, if they press it to get you to come in just repeat you won't be making it in and hang up. If they try to push it after that then you've got grounds for a grievance, but before then it's just harmless management pressure, or in some rare cases concern, that wouldn't stand up in a grievance.

slingblade

I don't think you like my apples. Don't know cant ask might be invading your privacy.
from what I see people who have problems with the boss usually don't know how to talk to him.
I don't get offended that easy. I got a job. It pays the bills. Sometimes that means I got to talk to the boss.
I ain't a lawyer and I ain't a preacher so I ain't good at quoting scripture nor good at quoting law.
But I can look people in the eye and tell them what's on my mind. Seems to me talking to people helps a lot.