Calling all drivers...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Ok Squirly lets talk about your little chicken with the sky falling post.

UPS is preparing to implement new technology that will monitor drivers like never before. With their new gadgets, the company won’t have to send a supervisor on your route to spy on your methods. Their new technology amounts to an electronic OJS.

Ah but here is where you are so off base. It is already in the contract that they can not use the info for discipline. They have to go out and watch you do what they will fire you for. The "electronic OJS" has no merit on its own.

As part of early bargaining, our Teamster negotiators have proposed strong language to protect drivers from discipline resulting from the new technology. Winning this new language is a must.

Hello........The language is already there. Geez, pull head out of back end and learn to read

The company is preparing to mount new sensors on package cars that will detect:

• If the package car is moving when the seatbelt is unbuckled
There you go. What a neat idea. To force the stupid ones in the food chain to buckle up. Its the law. Nothing like the stupid ones being forced to comply with the law. This is covered in the contract. They catch you without, it is treated as a cardinal sin. They can fire you on the first offence. so just wear the seatbelt.
  • How hard the brakes have been applied
Now that is interesting. Why would you care if UPS knows how hard you apply the brake? ARe you out there mistreating the equipment? I believe it is their right to gather data if the driver is out there either not driving safe or mistreating equipment so the behavior can be adjusted.
  • How long the driver backed up on an individual stop (time and distance and location)
Another safety concern. Too many of our accidents happen when a driver is backing. The majority when they should not have been backing. Like when you breese by the stop. Instead of turnng around and going back, you back up the block or so. Not to mention the drivers that refuse to learn the most basic.........never leave your vehicle so that you have to back as the first motion. Too many deaths have happened because of this. This allowes UPS to track and assist those offenders in becoming better drivers.
  • How much idle time a package car has
Yup, nothing like going up to a package car at a 3 story bank building that is idleing with the driver inside delivering. Think I am joking?
  • If the bulkhead door is open while the vehicle is moving
Another safety issue. Guess what, doors shut while truck is moving. Period.
  • • If the truck is in motion when the DIAD is not mounted in the holder
Nothing says safety like a driver messing with his diad while driving. Guess what, that is called distracted driving. It too is against the law.

Tracking Your Every Move

UPS is also testing new technology for the DIAD IV that will monitor where you are when you perform DIAD functions to determine if you are where you are supposed to be when you are performing that function.

Your DIAD will identify whether you are within a tenth of a mile of your delivery address when you scan a package, get a signature, or hit Stop/Complete. If you are more than a tenth of a mile away from your delivery address, then you will have to override in order to perform the function.

The company says this technology is to prevent mis-deliveries. But it will give management a treasure chest of information they can use to harass us and to target drivers for discipline.

Nothing says something is going on out there than drivers delivering stops while not moving. Yes sir, the driver that goes to lunch at 1, and from 1:10-2:25 delivers 16 stops, all while seated at the Mcdonalds. You know the type of driver Iam talkin about. The one that likes to play games with his job and the deliveries he makes. The one that thinks he is so much smarter than everyone else. The one that claimes he had to go back for a delivery later on that day, cause that one package was misloaded, but yet the technology shows he never did.

Yup, it has and will continue to target those drivers that cant seem to understand that there is a certain honesty that is expected by the employer of its employees. And those trying to play games and steal from the company by falsifying records would and should be targeted.

But again, they would have to follow you out there on road to physically document what the computer is telling them.

The company is claiming they have the right to unilaterally implement these changes by exploiting a loophole in the technological change language in our contract (Article 6, Section 4). Management says its new spy-ware does not represent a “significant change in the work of the bargaining unit” so they don’t need to negotiate regarding the effects of the proposed changes.
So how does that change your work? Explain how them adding this technology changes anything you do or dont do, if you are working by the book?

We Can Win Protections in Bargaining

As part of early bargaining, our union has put proposals on the table to tighten up this loophole. They have proposed that technological change be defined as “any change in equipment or materials which affects the work of the bargaining unit.”

Our negotiators have also proposed new language that would prohibit the company from using information obtained solely from the DIAD, GPS or any monitoring technology as evidence that an employee violated the contract or any Company policy.

How is this new language? Its in the contract already. They can not use information solely obtained from technology alone. But once they have you on video, they can show an electronic pattern of the same behavior, and your inability to change your behavior to conform with what the company demands(and gets) from the rest of the drivers.

This is the kind of strong language we need to protect ourselves from the company’s Big Brother spy tactics. Of course, the company will seek to water this language down.

Our National Negotiating Committee needs to alert members to the threat of this new technology and unite Teamsters to protect ourselves from unfair discipline. An update on the status of bargaining over new “Technological Change” language (Article 6) would be a good place to start.

Why start another thread about it then?
Because the motive of the poster is not to supply information, but misinformation.

atatbl

news4.jpg

old_news.jpg

Ok Squirly lets talk about your little chicken with the sky falling post.

Because the motive of the poster is not to supply information, but misinformation.
I'm sorry D, just don't buy that part, I think because she is new here, squirlygirly thought she was actually breaking new news to us. One of the links she posted had no dates on it so it very well could have been an honest mistake.

squirlygirly

Obviously I haven't been working for UPS long enough to become so sour & bitter towards a job, or the people that work for UPS, that NONE OF YOU realize should be counting your blessings, right now, that you have a reason to get up in the morning.

redshift1

Obviously I haven't been working for UPS long enough to become so sour & bitter towards a job, or the people that work for UPS, that NONE OF YOU realize should be counting your blessings, right now, that you have a reason to get up in the morning.

proof read your posts I'm not sure what it says.

I have no idea what you are talking about, do you? I didn't see one post on this thread that sounded bitter, other than your original post.
I'm starting to change my mind about your motive in starting this thread.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Believe me, UPS is not the reason I wake up everyday ( and it sure as hell isn't in the morning)

squirlygirly

I totally, like, you know, that drivers being "wired-up" on the job is like totally, like old news, ya know.

Did it ever occur to any of you to look further into the site/link makeupsdeliver.com?

Or like, how 'bout, www.tdu.org ... Unfortunately you need to find the link to UPS itself...seeing that what you might think that I bring to the table is just old news.

I used to belong to another UPS forum, and they were alot more the people I would like to work with, then oppose to people that were just sooo judgemental right out of the gate...

Don't get me wrong, there are a selected few, with respectable opinions, otherwise, stay tuned for more stupidity, and I'm not talking about myself...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
stay tuned for more stupidity, and I'm not talking about myself...
The stupid person is the last one to ever realize that they have a problem.

ITs, like, stupid.

I used to belong to another UPS forum, and they were alot more the people I would like to work with, then oppose to people that were just sooo judgemental right out of the gate

Like, I can only imagine as to why you dont belong to that forum now.

And as for, like, your personal information, this is THE UPS forum for like UPS employees, current and retired. There is none like it. Nor are the people here like anywhere else.

One thing, like, we dont suffer fools very well here.

Your type of posting style is one that is used by those claiming to be UPS employees, but all too often are people that dont or ever have, that like have some alternative motive for posting.

And they usually start their postings with "calling all drivers" "a call to arms" or, like, some other stupid title that tries to call attention to, like, themselves.

So while you think there is like judgementalism on our part, its only like experience on our part that identifies you as a, like, nutcase?

I hope I am like wrong, but like prove it?

d

UPSNewbie

The stupid person is the last one to ever realize that they have a problem.

ITs, like, stupid.

Like, I can only imagine as to why you dont belong to that forum now.

And as for, like, your personal information, this is THE UPS forum for like UPS employees, current and retired. There is none like it. Nor are the people here like anywhere else.

One thing, like, we dont suffer fools very well here.

Your type of posting style is one that is used by those claiming to be UPS employees, but all too often are people that dont or ever have, that like have some alternative motive for posting.

And they usually start their postings with "calling all drivers" "a call to arms" or, like, some other stupid title that tries to call attention to, like, themselves.

So while you think there is like judgementalism on our part, its only like experience on our part that identifies you as a, like, nutcase?

I hope I am like wrong, but like prove it?

d

Totally.