Calling in Sick

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Except we get our freight late and finish late, in the dark, on normal days. Sometimes I'm off at 2230. It really depends on the particular situation, and in this situation it's a problem.

Isn't that what cover drivers are for? As long as you guys make it happen, management isn't going to worry about covering his route.

vantexan

Isn't that what cover drivers are for? As long as you guys make it happen, management isn't going to worry about covering his route.
You work out of a station where things can be worked out. We live and work 125 miles away and the 14 hour rule comes into play every time they send someone out. His "part-time" route is so extended that his freight was divided between two of us and a courier in another domiciled location. You guys are admiring his chutzpah, but my point is he's well aware of the difficulty it causes yet he's taking the sick days anyways. Something I wouldn't do, YMMV.

overflowed

You work out of a station where things can be worked out. We live and work 125 miles away and the 14 hour rule comes into play every time they send someone out. His "part-time" route is so extended that his freight was divided between two of us and a courier in another domiciled location. You guys are admiring his chutzpah, but my point is he's well aware of the difficulty it causes yet he's taking the sick days anyways. Something I wouldn't do, YMMV.
Van just work to 13.59 hours and bring it in. They will hire another swing if it is deemed necessary. You guys running actually is perpetuating this nonsense. I have been in stations that regular couriers go out and drive 300 miles a day about thirty stops. They come out of the station, your neck of the woods are domiciling to save pennies for the station budget. Those areas are always beautiful country though. Just call your manager and say something.

Goldilocks

Van just work to 13.59 hours and bring it in. They will hire another swing if it is deemed necessary. You guys running actually is perpetuating this nonsense. I have been in stations that regular couriers go out and drive 300 miles a day about thirty stops. They come out of the station, your neck of the woods are domiciling to save pennies for the station budget. Those areas are always beautiful country though. Just call your manager and say something.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he does not go to the station at all, so unless he brings the freight back to his home he has no other choice but to stay out and deliver everything.

vantexan

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he does not go to the station at all, so unless he brings the freight back to his home he has no other choice but to stay out and deliver everything.
Exactly. We're expected to make an attempt on everything due that day. I got off at 2335 tonight due to several factors and if he had called in sick I would've been out well past midnight. But it's damned if I do or don't. They're hiring a PTer for our domicile due to concerns about us being out so late which will relieve me of all my OT and then some. So great route, great area, and I'll be looking at JCATS soon so that I can make a living.

vantexan

Well let's say a courier came out of the station to do my route today. I did 66 stops, blew off 5 Thursday's, drove 350 miles. The swing has 250 miles roundtrip built in before he even starts my route. That kind of mileage on my route isn't typical, but on Wedsndays, usually my heaviest day, I usually do 65-75 stops over 260-290 miles. My point on this thread is that my coworker knows what we're up against and calls in sick anyways. Fine if he's truly sick, but everyone believes he's about to quit and is taking his 4 hr sick days before he goes.

dezguy

I still don't understand why you feel obligated to cover for a sick call. If you're part time they cannot force you to work past your scheduled end time. If your manager tells you to take the freight, fine, take it for a ride and if you miss the shuttle back to sta, it stays in the truck overnight.

What are they going to write you up for? Not allowing yourself to be taken advantage of? Not covering for your managers unwillingness to fix the situation?

1fedexFAILURE

I still don't understand why you feel obligated to cover for a sick call. If you're part time they cannot force you to work past your scheduled end time. If your manager tells you to take the freight, fine, take it for a ride and if you miss the shuttle back to sta, it stays in the truck overnight.

What are they going to write you up for? Not allowing yourself to be taken advantage of? Not covering for your managers unwillingness to fix the situation?
I agree with D..it's not your problem..thats a management problem..and since it appears you want the overtime..what's the complaint? You can't have it both ways.just go out each day.. Run the route as they have specified, by the book..no open doors and by the speed limits.. And enjoy the overtime you are saying you want..

vantexan

You guys don't get it. We aren't at a station. We're 3 couriers who live 125 miles from the station. Our freight arrives between 1110 and 1130 most days and most days I'm out past 2030, sometimes past 2300. Once I leave meet point I'm on my own the rest of the day. I'm fulltime, have a wife who sees little of me during the week, and I don't want to be out super late. There's a point where an extra hour of OT isn't worth it. The station is far enough away that the 14 hour rule comes into play for a swing driving out here and they may not have a swing available anyways so we are expected to deal with it. When they get the new PTer up and running I'll do 36-38 hrs most weeks and I'm at starting pay. My point all along is that I wouldn't call in sick if I'm not, especially if it impacts my coworkers.

Last edited:

It will be fine

You guys don't get it. We aren't at a station. We're 3 couriers who live 125 miles from the station. Our freight arrives between 1110 and 1130 most days and most days I'm out past 2030, sometimes past 2300. I'm fulltime, have a wife who sees little of me during the week, and don't want to be out super late. There's a point where an extra hour of OT isn't
You've said before it takes 2 guys to do what you do when you leave. Why don't you use that as leverage against the company? Tell them you're only putting in 10 hrs max and anything else doesn't get done. If you're that valuable it shouldn't be an issue. Proper rest is a safety issue, staying out until midnight is not safe.

vantexan

You've said before it takes 2 guys to do what you do when you leave. Why don't you use that as leverage against the company? Tell them you're only putting in 10 hrs max and anything else doesn't get done. If you're that valuable it shouldn't be an issue. Proper rest is a safety issue, staying out until midnight is not safe.
Read the rest of my post, had to edit it after hitting the wrong button. The thing is when I leave they'll have to divy my freight up because swing will go over 14 hours. I've already pointed out to mgr in recent meeting that HR told me that they could have given me my previous percentage of range when rehired last year. It's spelled out in policy. So he called HR and then came back to me. In the policy it says if they're having trouble in recruitment they can rehire former courier at previous percent of range. The key word is recruitment. I approached them, they didn't "recruit" me. Never mind that they posted job on FedEx Careers website and a mgr recommended that I check said website for openings. They are using a slight of hand to not pay me better. So I told mgr if they want me to stay they'll have to give me the money. Otherwise I'll take my pension. He didn't seem enthusiastic so it will be his problem in 18 months. But while I'm here I'll do my part.

1fedexFAILURE

Read the rest of my post, had to edit it after hitting the wrong button. The thing is when I leave they'll have to divy my freight up because swing will go over 14 hours. I've already pointed out to mgr in recent meeting that HR told me that they could have given me my previous percentage of range when rehired last year. It's spelled out in policy. So he called HR and then came back to me. In the policy it says if they're having trouble in recruitment they can rehire former courier at previous percent of range. The key word is recruitment. I approached them, they didn't "recruit" me. Never mind that they posted job on FedEx Careers website and a mgr recommended that I check said website for openings. They are using a slight of hand to not pay me better. So I told mgr if they want me to stay they'll have to give me the money. Otherwise I'll take my pension. He didn't seem enthusiastic so it will be his problem in 18 months. But while I'm here I'll do my part.
You guys don't get it. We aren't at a station. We're 3 couriers who live 125 miles from the station. Our freight arrives between 1110 and 1130 most days and most days I'm out past 2030, sometimes past 2300. Once I leave meet point I'm on my own the rest of the day. I'm fulltime, have a wife who sees little of me during the week, and I don't want to be out super late. There's a point where an extra hour of OT isn't worth it. The station is far enough away that the 14 hour rule comes into play for a swing driving out here and they may not have a swing available anyways so we are expected to deal with it. When they get the new PTer up and running I'll do 36-38 hrs most weeks and I'm at starting pay. My point all along is that I wouldn't call in sick if I'm not, especially if it impacts my coworkers.
I understand whAt you are saying..but if you guys are already maxed out with what you have and you fail a few times.. It will not take long before managent themselves will be out running the route..either way they will fix it if you fail..just work as instructed and take the long day when you must but never ever do more than the job by their rules..

dezguy

No, I get it just fine. What you don't get is you're allowing yourself to be walked all over and letting your manager take the easy way out.

Back when I actually cared about this company, I was at a station up North and would routinely volunteer to go cover a domicile almost 300km away, when someone called in. I'd jump in a van and follow the shuttle up there, help with the sort and then go on my merry way. The one thing I noticed almost immediately is that it seemed like stop counts didn't exist up there. They went out with what they went out with. Domicile employees aren't second class employees and do, in fact have stop counts but what a lot of managers will do is not send up a stop count sheet so most of them don't even know what they're supposed to be going out with.

Most people call in early in the morning, between 7-8. That leaves plenty of time for a manager to come up with a contingency plan but, in the case of you and your co-workers, there is no need for a contingency plan because your manager knows you'll just do it.

As a full-time employee, you cannot be forced to work more than an hour past your scheduled end time but so long as you and your co-workers allow yourselves to be taken advantage of, your manager will continue using your distance to the station as an excuse no to send help. That is what you don't get.

vantexan

No, I get it just fine. What you don't get is you're allowing yourself to be walked all over and letting your manager take the easy way out.

Back when I actually cared about this company, I was at a station up North and would routinely volunteer to go cover a domicile almost 300km away, when someone called in. I'd jump in a van and follow the shuttle up there, help with the sort and then go on my merry way. The one thing I noticed almost immediately is that it seemed like stop counts didn't exist up there. They went out with what they went out with. Domicile employees aren't second class employees and do, in fact have stop counts but what a lot of managers will do is not send up a stop count sheet so most of them don't even know what they're supposed to be going out with.

Most people call in early in the morning, between 7-8. That leaves plenty of time for a manager to come up with a contingency plan but, in the case of you and your co-workers, there is no need for a contingency plan because your manager knows you'll just do it.

As a full-time employee, you cannot be forced to work more than an hour past your scheduled end time but so long as you and your co-workers allow yourselves to be taken advantage of, your manager will continue using your distance to the station as an excuse no to send help. That is what you don't get.
And if the swing goes past 14 hours? Do you have a similar rule in Canada? 300 kilometers is what, 166 miles? So you were doing 330+ miles roundtrip before even starting his route? What kind of mileage did his route have? Bottom line, we deal with it here, my coworker knows it, but apparently it's ok as long as he's sticking it to the company too. And where did you get that hour past your end time rule? Is that a Canadian thing? In the States if you're fulltime they can draft based on seniority. Remember that 14hr rule? If needed they can work you up to 14 hrs work and break combined. Where I'm at that would put me past 1 a.m.. Last time I did that was during the UPS strike in '97.

It will be fine

It sounds like you're blaming the wrong party. It's not your coworker's fault management doesn't have a better plan for sick days. The plan won't change as long as you continue to be successful. Just fail. WAGN

Purplepackage

I agree with everyone else they keep doing it to you becasue you do it.

We have a guy who's 63 on the verge of retiring, his route runs 250 miles a day and he drives 45 minutes from the station to his first stop. And he's always heavy 70-95 p2 every day.

You can guarantee when he retires that route will be split into 2 routes becasue everyone knows he's the only one that can do it. Swings can run maybe 40 p2 stops on that route becasue the miles are insane

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
We have an old guy, and I mean old, 71, who has called in 3 times in last 3 weeks, once a week. He doesn't look any worse when he comes back the next day and since he's off Monday's he's getting a 4 day weekend each week. There's just the three of us plus guy who brings freight so we end up running. We suspect he's about to retire and having a little fun at company's expense. This is a new one for me, had never considered taking my unused sick days before I quit.
YOUVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!!

you are definitely management material. "Live and let Live."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with everyone else they keep doing it to you becasue you do it.

We have a guy who's 63 on the verge of retiring, his route runs 250 miles a day and he drives 45 minutes from the station to his first stop. And he's always heavy 70-95 p2 every day.

You can guarantee when he retires that route will be split into 2 routes becasue everyone knows he's the only one that can do it. Swings can run maybe 40 p2 stops on that route becasue the miles are insane

Sounds like he is indirecting most of his chasers in town.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Exactly. We're expected to make an attempt on everything due that day. I got off at 2335 tonight due to several factors and if he had called in sick I would've been out well past midnight. But it's damned if I do or don't. They're hiring a PTer for our domicile due to concerns about us being out so late which will relieve me of all my OT and then some. So great route, great area, and I'll be looking at JCATS soon so that I can make a living.

As long as you're willing to be abused, they will happily comply. I'd be bringing back everything that I didn't feel like attempting. When are you going to figure out that you are your own worst enemy? The only reward for working hard and doing a good job is zero recognition, the same pay, and MORE WORK!!