Calling in Sick

vantexan

You've done this route for awhile now I take it. You're pretty sure exactly how many deliveries would make a full day for you correct ? Well here's my 2 cents.....take that number of stops from your shuttle driver and have him return to the station with whats left !! As others have stated, make management fix the problem. I know, easier said than done but sometimes drastic measures are called for.
Well, they're hiring a PTer which will keep me under 40hrs. Looking to transfer and get back to that wonderful station life.

MAKAVELI

Our routes drive twice as far or more and often go more than 10 hours on route. The swing coming from the station is up against the 14 hr rule(assuming there's one available)and yes they can make us work up to 14 hrs to get things covered. It's a different animal out here but then again we don't see the mgr more than 2-3 times a year, don't work a real sort, don't put up with station drama. It's a tradeoff but still, I wouldn't screw my coworkers over if it were me.
He's not screwing you over van. The company is. That is what everyone is trying to tell you.

MAKAVELI

Na

Nah, everyone is so enthused about the outgoing courier sticking it to the company they don't care what we have to put up with.
So if you don't want to be out there for 14 hours when your co worker calls in, you'll have to take less than 40 hours a week? Yea it's your co workers fault.;)

MAKAVELI

If I ever had a 14 hour day, I'd have a letter and my manager would be looking for another job. And that would include peak.

vantexan

So if you don't want to be out there for 14 hours when your co worker calls in, you'll have to take less than 40 hours a week? Yea it's your co workers fault.;)
No, I'm often out past 2100, sometimes past 2300. That's gone on for the year I've been here. My mgr told me recently that they're going to put a new PTer up here to alleviate staying out late, and the courier who's calling in sick will run his rt from the town he lives in, which is 80 miles away. They've been paying him for 5 years to drive up here, run his rt, then drive home. He's part-time, but gets close to 45 hrs and is often out past 2300. Our new part-timer will do half his rt plus take freight off of us. Our old guy sees the writing on the wall and will retire soon.

dezguy

Our routes drive twice as far or more and often go more than 10 hours on route. The swing coming from the station is up against the 14 hr rule(assuming there's one available)and yes they can make us work up to 14 hrs to get things covered. It's a different animal out here but then again we don't see the mgr more than 2-3 times a year, don't work a real sort, don't put up with station drama. It's a tradeoff but still, I wouldn't screw my coworkers over if it were me.
So, the covering courier is up against the 14 hour rule.... Big deal! A couple of times of a guy having to be put up in a motel and having meals paid for him/her WITH undelivered freight is going to fix that problem REAL quick.