Calling out 6th punch - peak season - holiday pay

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Tommygunner, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Tommygunner

Tommygunner New Member

hey all I’m new here.

Hate to be so specific, but ups made it super clear that I was a Tuesday through Saturday, after I got a warning letter for calling out two Saturdays in a row last year because they can’t find coverage. (They ran 9 trips with 9 drivers no extras).

So this coming peak season, Christmas Eve is on a Monday. Clearly for the next eight weeks they’re going to “force” us to come in on 6th punches. If I call out Christmas Eve (my 6 punch), do I still get holiday pay for Christmas Day?

And two weeks before Christmas Eve I will need another Monday off. Would they discipline me for calling out on my 6th punch? Can they discipline me?

2. Brisket

Brisket Well-Known Member

You can be disciplined for pretty much anything these days it seems, if it sticks is a completely different story.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

Why do you need all these Monday's off? Even those of us on the regular M-F schedule have to work Saturdays all of December.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Tommygunner

Tommygunner New Member

Hey they made it clear I’m a Saturday guy bud. If they can’t have extra drivers I can run my Saturday trip with, that’s not my problem. And if I ask off on an off peak Saturday and they say no because of shortage of drivers, screw them. And in all honesty, my personal business isn’t your problem. I need off two Monday’s. Is that such a crime?

5. Tommygunner

Tommygunner New Member

If it helps, there were maybe four drivers last peak season that never showed up for a single sixth punch.

6. It's peak
    We would all like to have a little time off to do things but it's not going to happen

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. JL 0513

It's more inconvenient for regular schedule guys to come in Saturdays than for you to come in on Monday. We have to miss family events.

Perhaps your situation is important but just seems odd to be scheduling things on Mondays during peak. It's like a guy who gets a job as a mall Santa and asks for a few days off in December.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

No we don't. Have never worked a Saturday for UPS and am not going to start now.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. JL 0513

It's been required in my center and many others for the last 2 peaks. All drivers.

10. Tommygunner

Tommygunner New Member

FYI I wasn’t being rude, but with our healthcare plan we get twice a year dentist visits. I schedule my next appointment at every appointment I go to. Mine just happens to be a Monday in November this year. Of course I can reschedule, and I guess this is my fault for not taking care of my teeth but I feel like I definitely need to see them.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  11. Tommygunner

Tommygunner New Member

Do you call out? Or just not come in? I’m told to call out because they’re supposedly planning on me to work my sixth punch, so no show would be not such a good idea

12. Maple Grove MN Driver

Maple Grove MN Driver Cocaine Mang!

Just max out on hours by Friday Afternoon and you don't.

13. Maple Grove MN Driver

Maple Grove MN Driver Cocaine Mang!

Your scheduled week is Tuesday to Saturday.
    I wouldn't show up on Monday.
    Don't even bother calling out.

Trust me any discipline won't stick.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

I don't come in. Can't force a 6th punch in my local. Can beg all they want.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. reginald95

reginald95 Active Member

Once peak starts they will make everyone Mon-Friday and force from the bottom up a 6th punch. At least that's how they are going to do it in my building.

16. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

It would depend on what your supplemental language says.

Where I am you would still get paid as long as you worked at least 1 day in the week that the holiday falls in.
    Screenshot_20181028-161504.png

17. PT Crazy

PT Crazy Active Member

Another one saying " I can't ". Ask your union representative, they will be the ones defending you.

18. JL 0513

Which is now impossible with the 70 hour allowed week.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  19. GenericUsername

GenericUsername Active Member

I'm a T-S driver. I won't be showing up Christmas Eve. They can't force me to show up. Any discipline won't stick. I've already told my dispatch, center manager, and ORs to not plan on seeing me on Mondays during peak. If they want me to work 14 hour days T-S, then great.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. JL 0513

To max out by Friday now, you would need to work from 9am-midnight all 5 days.