Calling out of work on a 30 day probationary period?

Ant12

I started off seasonal for 2 months with perfect attendance. I just started my 30 day probationary period when I got rehired and now there is a snow storm...by the time my shift ends there will be a foot on the ground with 40mph winds. Do you think they will hold it against me of I call out today?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I would call and see if they are working tonight and if they are be careful going in. They may not hold it against you due to the weather but why take a chance. Until you get your 30 in don't take any chances.

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
I'm in the same exact boat as you. The problem with me is that I have to catch 2 buses to work and I have not seen one pass by for a while, although the NJtransit website says there will be delays of about 40 minutes. I'm just scared if I do work, going home could be a problem for me.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
I started off seasonal for 2 months with perfect attendance. I just started my 30 day probationary period when I got rehired and now there is a snow storm...by the time my shift ends there will be a foot on the ground with 40mph winds. Do you think they will hold it against me of I call out today?
Ant12, if you decide to call out I recommend telling them you are unable to drive in the weather conditions. They may offer to come pick you up.

You have a responsibility to the company and to the customer to do you job assignment.

Ant12

There's no way I could get to work at this point...6 inches on the ground right now and my shift doesn't even start until 6. It will keep snowing until 3 in the morning the news says. With the rush hour traffic and my :censored2:ty car there's no way.

Ouch

You have a responsibility to yourself and your family to stay safe. If you don't feel like it's a safe decision to travel then dont.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
All I know is that I was told at least a dozen times before I was hired "If you aren't going to be there everyday for your first 30 days, we don't have a job for you." I don't know if your hiring staff was as clear with you. Take your own chances but I would make sure I was there for the shift I agreed to be there.

Ant12

All I know is that I was told at least a dozen times before I was hired "If you aren't going to be there everyday for your first 30 days, we don't have a job for you." I don't know if your hiring staff was as clear with you. Take your own chances but I would make sure I was there for the shift I agreed to be there.

J

jibbs

All I know is I had a no-call, no-show in my first 30 days due to either not setting an alarm or sleeping right through it. Came in the next day business as usual.

A year and a half later, I'm still on the preload.

So yeah. It's kind of 50/50 for you, Ant, but I'm willing to bet that, if the roads are truly as bad as you say they are, your job'll be fine. That's by no means a guarantee, though, so don't get angry with me if I turn out to be wrong.

[EDIT: If you're not going in, though, make sure to inform your management team. I got lucky with my situation, there's no denying that.]

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ant12, if you decide to call out I recommend telling them you are unable to drive in the weather conditions. They may offer to come pick you up.

You have a responsibility to the company and to the customer to do you job assignment.
Yes, I'll get right on that..5 inches on the ground already, 8 more expected tonight....I'm not going in. Write me up....lol.