Cameras coming to FedEx Ground Trucks

bbsam

Staff member
But when your best drivers tired of undergoing in office rectal reconstruction by a manager on an almost daily basis start walking out in mass and you can't replace them fast enough if at all then we see what you have to say about it.
They're the ones who are going to make money off it or they wouldn't do in the first place in addition to providing even greater assurance that their demand for top of the scale performance for bottom of the scale money will continue to be fulfilled. So when they are performing rectal reconstruction on your best guys for even the smallest most inconsequential judgement errors all you can do is to stand there with your thumb up yours.
I don’t think you understand the system. Office personnel won’t have access to any video unless there’s an accident. Quite frankly, they don’t want it. It’s up to the contractors to find a way to use any video to shape driver behavior.

And to tell the truth, if I have a driver exceeding the speed limit 30 times a day, not wearing his seatbelt and talking on the phone while driving...either that changes or I kinda want him gone.

Last edited:

bacha29

I don’t think you understand the system. Office personnel won’t have access to any video unless there’s an accident. Quite frankly, they don’t want it. It’s up to the contractors to find a way to use any video to shape driver behavior.

And to tell the truth, if I have a driver exceeding the speed limit 30 times a day, not wearing his seatbelt and talking on the phone while driving...either that changes or I kinda wanna abt him gone.
But if you are a contractor who pays a flat per diem whether they work 8 hours or 13 hours it all pays the same and so it will naturally invite a get done as quick as possible frame of mind. If this is the way you pay all the cameras in the world won't change that behavior especially when it invites it and if that guy is all you've got available you can plead with him all you want but chances are neither he nor the person who replaces him if such a person exists will pay a great deal of attention to your concerns.
While management may not currently have access to truck video eventually there will be a bank of video monitors in every station with a company manager sitting there watching them. And whenever somebody calls in a gripe they will have the tape on it. Big Brother will be watching ...count on it.

vantexan

But if you are a contractor who pays a flat per diem whether they work 8 hours or 13 hours it all pays the same and so it will naturally invite a get done as quick as possible frame of mind. If this is the way you pay all the cameras in the world won't change that behavior especially when it invites it and if that guy is all you've got available you can plead with him all you want but chances are neither he nor the person who replaces him if such a person exists will pay a great deal of attention to your concerns.
While management may not currently have access to truck video eventually there will be a bank of video monitors in every station with a company manager sitting there watching them. And whenever somebody calls in a gripe they will have the tape on it. Big Brother will be watching ...count on it.
Managers are just too busy to do more than give the monitors an occasional glance. Do you really think FedEx is going to invest that kind of money for an occasional glance? This is a company that went forever with a pure crap computer system.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Managers are just too busy to do more than give the monitors an occasional glance. Do you really think FedEx is going to invest that kind of money for an occasional glance? This is a company that went forever with a pure crap computer system.
Well, they hired about 30 security guards to monitor cameras 24/7 here.
But then this is at Express, where we're held to a higher standard.
TBT, this is also a dual utilized facility, Sta/Hub.

Oldfart

The last time I attended a Smith System recert class, I was in there with safety people from Dominos, Dollar General, Werner Truck lines and a few others. Every one of those companies have cameras in the cab watching the driver. ZERO tolerance on safety violations. They all said their safety record improved significantly as a result of these cameras. If you have nothing to hide, there should be no issues.

It will be fine

It’s pure insanity to believe anyone is watching the cameras all day. The current generation rightly assumes they are on camera all the time, I don’t think this will faze them. It’s a video EVENT recorder. It stores events so you can go back and look at footage of accidents. If you are a good driver chances are it will be used to exonerate you rather than punish.

bacha29

It’s pure insanity to believe anyone is watching the cameras all day. The current generation rightly assumes they are on camera all the time, I don’t think this will faze them. It’s a video EVENT recorder. It stores events so you can go back and look at footage of accidents. If you are a good driver chances are it will be used to exonerate you rather than punish.
Here's the bigger question IWBF. Why would any contractor allow that company to install their video cameras in his trucks without first coming to a formal mutual agreement on the question of when and where video evidence can and cannot be used?
I know that you guys have absolutely no rights or legal recourse of any kind but this is the issue which contractors should be collectively pushing back hard on because the absence of such an agreement would appear to make you the contractor more exposed .
Remember the driver of this initiative is an attempt to more fully absolve the company of risk.
It's not bring undertaken with your interest in mind. That much is for certain.

vantexan

Well, they hired about 30 security guards to monitor cameras 24/7 here.
But then this is at Express, where we're held to a higher standard.
TBT, this is also a dual utilized facility, Sta/Hub.
That's certainly a different animal. Security was tight when I worked in the Memphis Hub '86-'88. Doubt it's going to turn into "1984" at your average station though.

It will be fine

Here's the bigger question IWBF. Why would any contractor allow that company to install their video cameras in his trucks without first coming to a formal mutual agreement on the question of when and where video evidence can and cannot be used?
I know that you guys have absolutely no rights or legal recourse of any kind but this is the issue which contractors should be collectively pushing back hard on because the absence of such an agreement would appear to make you the contractor more exposed .
Remember the driver of this initiative is an attempt to more fully absolve the company of risk.
It's not bring undertaken with your interest in mind. That much is for certain.
Wut? My company will be installing the cameras. My company will have the contract with the vendor that stores the video. I’ll be the one getting the alerts and video of events. You don’t think I have an interest in preventing accidents? I was looking into cameras before Fedex issued their mandate and incentive. I’d probably install them anyway, but if they want to help cover the cost, I’ll take it.

overflowed

I drive vehicles with lots of cameras on top of the drive cam. They are pros and cons with it. Yes, it should make most drivers more careful for fear of setting it off. I also know drivers will blow through red lights because they don't want to set it off . So depends how you want to look at it. I agree with bacha that ground drivers will be pissed though. For them to make as little as they do and now have to add hours on the day because of cameras may just make them look for new jobs. Ground drivers do a ton of things they shouldn't be and its all to save time so they can go home earlier. The cameras have cleared claims against me many times though.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Wut? My company will be installing the cameras. My company will have the contract with the vendor that stores the video. I’ll be the one getting the alerts and video of events. You don’t think I have an interest in preventing accidents? I was looking into cameras before Fedex issued their mandate and incentive. I’d probably install them anyway, but if they want to help cover the cost, I’ll take it.

But he's a day one guy!

In all seriousness, I've never known anyone in the transportation business in the position of owner/manager who had an issue with cameras other than the cost. This is an absolute no-brainer.

bacha29

But just like your payroll records.....if they tell you to turn over the video....you will turn it over no ifs and's or buts. Why because no prior agreement is made as to when and where video evidence can and cannot be used.
Let's face the cold hard facts. In order to be a so called "independent contracted service provider" to X you must first forfeit any and all rights you would otherwise have under due process of law and allow yourself to be totally subjugated to the absolute will and power of that company.
Spin it anyway you want but it is still indisputable fact. You might be an incorporated entity but all the rules and rights governing and afforded to an incorporated entity are something you had to first had to relinquish
If it works out for you fine, I'm glad to hear it but it will be a success that will be tainted by having to give up all of the rights the law afforded you.

It will be fine

But just like your payroll records.....if they tell you to turn over the video....you will turn it over no ifs and's or buts. Why because no prior agreement is made as to when and where video evidence can and cannot be used.
Let's face the cold hard facts. In order to be a so called "independent contracted service provider" to X you must first forfeit any and all rights you would otherwise have under due process of law and allow yourself to be totally subjugated to the absolute will and power of that company.
Spin it anyway you want but it is still indisputable fact. You might be an incorporated entity but all the rules and rights governing and afforded to an incorporated entity are something you had to first had to relinquish
If it works out for you fine, I'm glad to hear it but it will be a success that will be tainted by having to give up all of the rights the law afforded you.
Cool story bro.

bbsam

Staff member
I’m in it for the money. Nothing else.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
giphy.gif

Not fake news?

I have a forward facing one & a few other drivers in my terminal has it too... saved quite a few from lying drivers saying it's FedEx fault when it really wasn't in some accident cases.