Cameras coming to FedEx Ground Trucks

Oldfart

But just like your payroll records.....if they tell you to turn over the video....you will turn it over no ifs and's or buts. Why because no prior agreement is made as to when and where video evidence can and cannot be used.
Let's face the cold hard facts. In order to be a so called "independent contracted service provider" to X you must first forfeit any and all rights you would otherwise have under due process of law and allow yourself to be totally subjugated to the absolute will and power of that company.
Spin it anyway you want but it is still indisputable fact. You might be an incorporated entity but all the rules and rights governing and afforded to an incorporated entity are something you had to first had to relinquish
If it works out for you fine, I'm glad to hear it but it will be a success that will be tainted by having to give up all of the rights the law afforded you.
Brought to you by Morgan and Morgan

Preventable

Oldfart, I'd like to offer an opinion on your postings. You seem to be a big fan of FedEx, and I am too. Yet you seem to dismissively in a troll fashion dismiss any legitimate criticisms of the company. Now I am not really talking too much about this situation because as much as I'd like to pretend I care about FedEx ground as long as they are being treated somewhat humanely I don't really lose that much sleep over it (I know it sounds bad but I can't make it my life's mission to fight every injustice in the world), unless it negatively affects my employee stock purchases. But FedEx is far from a perfect company and this is a decent little space for us to discuss wrongdoings/friend ups of our company.

Yes a lot of your posts are justified, and many of the people you usually roast do have a little bit of an entitlement attitude/whininess about them. But I also see you defending the company/policy unconditionally. If we cannot address our short comings/issues then we are doomed in the long run. I've enjoyed a hell of a ride at FedEx, and I know it is a good company (maybe not amazing, but good, and I am grateful) to work for because I know what it is like to work for a bad company. But I have also been affected by FedEx/management decisions which I do not agree with (and sometimes the drivers are dead wrong such as with keeper boards and workday, but especially the boards because we thought those were going to kill us but I think they have been a net benefit). But here is my story: I took over a route, and because I (would like to think) was a very strong driver my stop within a month were raised between 20-25%. Now I acknowledge part of me was looking forward to a little bit of a honey moon period where I would get readjusted/consulted on that status of the area and we would find a more appropriate goal.

That did not happen within a month of taking over I was doing 20-25% more stops just like I mentioned, and to be fair it was a retirement route so I knew that wasn't going to last because we are not that kind of company... everybody should carry their weight. And before I say this I would like to say I respect my management team immensely, but the pressure on them can be quite high. Tell me how was our PSP philosophy followed in this case? Bear in mind there was no discussion regarding this, besides several months later where I was really starting to feel like I was being pushed into an unsafe P1 cycle they said "yeah we juiced your numbers up a little bit." We could have tried to work different pickups around etc (which we did on a courier level) and yeah I probably should have spoke up more. And to be fair as soon as I brought up concerns with my P1 they were adressed pretty well, but the whole process could have been handled a lot well and I really think PSP was not applied (well maybe besides the second P).

I know at this point I am not a huge rant, but I just implore you to be objective and see both sides, yes a lot of the time people here are being cry babies but the way you try to discuss this stuff is like the company can LITERALLY do no wrong and that is why people here attack you. Remember if the company cannot receive critisism we are doomed to fail. Also I'd like to point out a little bit of hypocracy on your end (not pension being topped out etc you earned that). You basically admitted to doing the work of one job classification (courier) and being paid as another (swing/RTD or w/e). Yes this happensat my station too, but this is not really aligned with policy (there is a gray area) and the company did face a law suit over this involving a similar situation except it was a driver doing CSA work 90% of the time, I can't remember the case but it is on the internet somewhere.

Last edited:

dvalleyjim

Actually, the company does have cameras on their people. Everywhere. The switchers? Yep cameras in there monitoring everything. Management level? Let’s just say things like computer use is monitored and productivity tracked.

The point I was making is that if people want to be commercial drivers, they will simply adapt to the cameras. Hopefully, if contractors use the cameras as tools, they will address the problems that occur before accidents happen and they become better drivers.

You act like I'm a real driver! hahaha! I a package hack!

Oldfart

Oldfart, I'd like to offer an opinion on your postings. You seem to be a big fan of FedEx, and I am too. Yet you seem to dismissively in a troll fashion dismiss any legitimate criticisms of the company. Now I am not really talking too much about this situation because as much as I'd like to pretend I care about FedEx ground as long as they are being treated somewhat humanely I don't really lose that much sleep over it (I know it sounds bad but I can't make it my life's mission to fight every injustice in the world), unless it negatively affects my employee stock purchases. But FedEx is far from a perfect company and this is a decent little space for us to discuss wrongdoings/friend ups of our company.

Yes a lot of your posts are justified, and many of the people you usually roast do have a little bit of an entitlement attitude/whininess about them. But I also see you defending the company/policy unconditionally. If we cannot address our short comings/issues then we are doomed in the long run. I've enjoyed a hell of a ride at FedEx, and I know it is a good company (maybe not amazing, but good, and I am grateful) to work for because I know what it is like to work for a bad company. But I have also been affected by FedEx/management decisions which I do not agree with (and sometimes the drivers are dead wrong such as with keeper boards and workday, but especially the boards because we thought those were going to kill us but I think they have been a net benefit). But here is my story: I took over a route, and because I (would like to think) was a very strong driver my stop within a month were raised between 20-25%. Now I acknowledge part of me was looking forward to a little bit of a honey moon period where I would get readjusted/consulted on that status of the area and we would find a more appropriate goal.

That did not happen within a month of taking over I was doing 20-25% more stops just like I mentioned, and to be fair it was a retirement route so I knew that wasn't going to last because we are not that kind of company... everybody should carry their weight. And before I say this I would like to say I respect my management team immensely, but the pressure on them can be quite high. Tell me how was our PSP philosophy followed in this case? Bear in mind there was no discussion regarding this, besides several months later where I was really starting to feel like I was being pushed into an unsafe P1 cycle they said "yeah we juiced your numbers up a little bit." We could have tried to work different pickups around etc (which we did on a courier level) and yeah I probably should have spoke up more. And to be fair as soon as I brought up concerns with my P1 they were adressed pretty well, but the whole process could have been handled a lot well and I really think PSP was not applied (well maybe besides the second P).

I know at this point I am not a huge rant, but I just implore you to be objective and see both sides, yes a lot of the time people here are being cry babies but the way you try to discuss this stuff is like the company can LITERALLY do no wrong and that is why people here attack you. Remember if the company cannot receive critisism we are doomed to fail. Also I'd like to point out a little bit of hypocracy on your end (not pension being topped out etc you earned that). You basically admitted to doing the work of one job classification (courier) and being paid as another (swing/RTD or w/e). Yes this happensat my station too, but this is not really aligned with policy (there is a gray area) and the company did face a law suit over this involving a similar situation except it was a driver doing CSA work 90% of the time, I can't remember the case but it is on the internet somewhere.
You want a perfect job at a perfect company. Good luck finding it. We have plenty of things wrong in the company but waking up everyday hating everything is no way to live. Our retiree insurance sucks and that affects me because I am there soon. I hate it but I dont stay up all night worrying about it. It is what it is.

Oldfart

I do get RTD pay and run a courier route most of the time. I do stage trailers, I do an occasional run with a trailer. I also unload cans at times. I also work in dispatch at times and I assist the district trainer with courier and DD and REDS class. I have no problems with my RTD pay. I did the training over 30 years ago and did drive without getting paid for a time. Now I get paid and don't drive all the time. It all worked out.

SmithBarney

From what I’ve seen, y’all need it. I came out of a grocery store the other day and a Ground truck was parked at the curb, motor running, side doors and bulkhead doors open and no driver in sight.
That's normal... we had one park his truck at a loading dock for 2hrs running while he delivered 9 floors of businesses.. When the dock manager/building manager got fed up of the fumes and lack of dock space for other vendors, he moved the truck up to the curb(50Ft away), the next day the route owner chewed him out, he told him next time you won't find the truck.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

You want a perfect job at a perfect company. Good luck finding it. We have plenty of things wrong in the company but waking up everyday hating everything is no way to live. Our retiree insurance sucks and that affects me because I am there soon. I hate it but I dont stay up all night worrying about it. It is what it is.
Jeez freakin' Louise! Where in the hell did you see Preventable saying he hates FedEx let alone hating everything?

I think the real problem is you hate anyone who says a discouraging word about FedEx.

Oldfart

Jeez freakin' Louise! Where in the hell did you see Preventable saying he hates FedEx let alone hating everything?

I think the real problem is you hate anyone who says a discouraging word about FedEx.
Lol

Never said anything about preventable. Was referring to people like you and operational and Tex and bacha. I was just answering preventable. He seems very reasonable. Can't say that about other people.

bacha29

Old Flatulence has simply been to the Fedex Mind Control and Reeducation Academy a few too many times. Electroshock, sleep deprivation, waterboarding etc....he likes it.
This thread was simply about the question of installing cameras inside contractor owned vehicles. Who cares if they are so called " leased transportation"? They are still contractor owned.
In this litigation driven society I just don't see how a contractor regardless of who pays for the equipment would dare to allow it to be installed in his vehicles without first receiving on Fedex letterhead a formal description of the exact conditions in which the video tapes can be deemed admissible evidence in addition to obtaining the same formal declaration from his insurer.
Yes I know that as a contractor you have no rights. You signed those away a long time ago but at the same time if you could somehow obtain such a description and granted it will be difficult nevertheless simply having it would be an effort on your part to protect your interests in the same manner by which they seek to protect theirs.

Oldfart

Old Flatulence has simply been to the Fedex Mind Control and Reeducation Academy a few too many times. Electroshock, sleep deprivation, waterboarding etc....he likes it.
This thread was simply about the question of installing cameras inside contractor owned vehicles. Who cares if they are so called " leased transportation"? They are still contractor owned.
In this litigation driven society I just don't see how a contractor regardless of who pays for the equipment would dare to allow it to be installed in his vehicles without first receiving on Fedex letterhead a formal description of the exact conditions in which the video tapes can be deemed admissible evidence in addition to obtaining the same formal declaration from his insurer.
Yes I know that as a contractor you have no rights. You signed those away a long time ago but at the same time if you could somehow obtain such a description and granted it will be difficult nevertheless simply having it would be an effort on your part to protect your interests in the same manner by which they seek to protect theirs.
Morgan and Morgan. For The People

It will be fine

What type of freaky stuff did you get up to behind the wheel if cameras scare you this much?

bacha29

What type of freaky stuff did you get up to behind the wheel if cameras scare you this much?
Cameras do not scare me. What should concern me is not knowing how the recorded information could be used in
a manner that is detrimental to the contractors interest. Then again as a contractor you have no choice in the matter. Those cameras WILL be installed whether you like it or not and as a result the extent to which that information can and cannot be used remains an open question because you don't dare call that company on the carpet over an issue such as this or anything similar to it because you don't have the power to do so.
The video information and images recorded by those cameras are legal documents. Now doesn't it make sense to find out how they could be used and what impact they could have on any potential litigation especially if it's litigation surrounding the question of willful negligence on the part of the contractor?
Wouldn't finding out the extent of the power those recordings could have in a court of law be a prudent move by a so called "entrepreneur"?
Of course what we all know is that as a Fedex Ground "entrepreneur" the matters that are of the most critical importance are matters over which you have no control....but are always the ones for which you are the most impacted.

bbsam

Staff member
Cameras do not scare me. What should concern me is not knowing how the recorded information could be used in
a manner that is detrimental to the contractors interest. Then again as a contractor you have no choice in the matter. Those cameras WILL be installed whether you like it or not and as a result the extent to which that information can and cannot be used remains an open question because you don't dare call that company on the carpet over an issue such as this or anything similar to it because you don't have the power to do so.
The video information and images recorded by those cameras are legal documents. Now doesn't it make sense to find out how they could be used and what impact they could have on any potential litigation especially if it's litigation surrounding the question of willful negligence on the part of the contractor?
Wouldn't finding out the extent of the power those recordings could have in a court of law be a prudent move by a so called "entrepreneur"?
Of course what we all know is that as a Fedex Ground "entrepreneur" the matters that are of the most critical importance are matters over which you have no control....but are always the ones for which you are the most impacted.
How do you think the video recording works?