Cameras coming to FedEx Ground Trucks

dvalleyjim

FedEx will be installing cameras in the cab and back of our trucks soon. This may also include door sensors and reverse gear sensors to monitor security and backing.
FedEx will pay the ISP for purchase and installation of these devices. ISPs can opt out of program but many fear retaliation at re-negotiation.

What do you think! I know many will say this is fine. I say that if they now are going to watch me at my 10/hr, no benefit job, forget it! Let the driver exodus multiply!

It will be fine

FedEx will be installing cameras in the cab and back of our trucks soon. This may also include door sensors and reverse gear sensors to monitor security and backing.
FedEx will pay the ISP for purchase and installation of these devices. ISPs can opt out of program but many fear retaliation at re-negotiation.

What do you think! I know many will say this is fine. I say that if they now are going to watch me at my 10/hr, no benefit job, forget it! Let the driver exodus multiply!
Not exactly. We need to install front and driver facing dash cams. They need to record and store video of “events” high g-force changes, harsh braking etc. No one has the time or desire to watch all their drivers all day long.

zeev

If you are working for 10/hr you really need to leave

bacha29

And so it begins. Remember what I said awhile back?. Once the two major class actions were settled it would embolden that company . The command and control would tighten dramatically with three guys on every truck. One coming. one driving and one leaving.
Operators simply will not tolerate having every physical motion and every judgement they make scrutinized .critiqued and constantly second guessed for that $12-14 an hour no overtime zero benefit job.
Without question there will be more loaded trucks left in the terminal every morning with nobody to drive them leaving contractors to slap "help wanted" signs onto the back of the trucks that do leave the station and to dump the undelivered boxes onto the already overworked drivers who do show up.

bbsam

Staff member
People can leave but these cameras are going to be in all commercial vehicles in the near future. Why? Because insurance companies will mandate it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
From what I’ve seen, y’all need it. I came out of a grocery store the other day and a Ground truck was parked at the curb, motor running, side doors and bulkhead doors open and no driver in sight.

bbsam

Staff member
From what I’ve seen, y’all need it. I came out of a grocery store the other day and a Ground truck was parked at the curb, motor running, side doors and bulkhead doors open and no driver in sight.
From Fred’s comments a year ago, sounds like Express will be getting them as well.

Oldfart

It wouldn’t surprise me. Nothing to see here except my packages up front. It’ll just lower my SPH when I start leaving them in the back. No biggie.
Aren't SPH based on leaving your packages in the cargo area and following basic safety and company rules?

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
When you make statememts that contradict common sense it is easy to respond with factual posts.

Having packages up front is newhire material. Along with missed POD and misdeliveries
My point is, Earl, I beat my expected SPH every day because I keep my packages up front with me. When they are in back, obviously my daily SPH will go down. I rarely have missed PODs or VANS as well as misdeliveries. Contrary to your beliefs, I do my job well with no complaints from management. I’m one of those low maintenance kind of couriers that management loves to have around. I need no babysitting. Now stop stalking my posts.

bacha29

People can leave but these cameras are going to be in all commercial vehicles in the near future. Why? Because insurance companies will mandate it.
It still comes down to the principle of the matter. If in the eyes of the company your judgement is so poor and you integrity so suspect that they feel compelled to keep a camera stuck in your face all day would you really want to work for such a company?
Does the company do to the same thing to management level employees? Of course not. They're career professionals.
It's hard enough for contractors to keep people on the routes given that the pay is half of what even express pays at that in and of itself significantly lower than what UPS pays. Then to have every step they take every move they make to be subjected to the wrath of that company ? It's hasta lavista baby.

bbsam

Staff member
It still comes down to the principle of the matter. If in the eyes of the company your judgement is so poor and you integrity so suspect that they feel compelled to keep a camera stuck in your face all day would you really want to work for such a company?
Does the company do to the same thing to management level employees? Of course not. They're career professionals.
It's hard enough for contractors to keep people on the routes given that the pay is half of what even express pays at that in and of itself significantly lower than what UPS pays. Then to have every step they take every move they make to be subjected to the wrath of that company ? It's hasta lavista baby.
Actually, the company does have cameras on their people. Everywhere. The switchers? Yep cameras in there monitoring everything. Management level? Let’s just say things like computer use is monitored and productivity tracked.

The point I was making is that if people want to be commercial drivers, they will simply adapt to the cameras. Hopefully, if contractors use the cameras as tools, they will address the problems that occur before accidents happen and they become better drivers.

oldngray

nowhere special
work_29.jpg

bacha29

Actually, the company does have cameras on their people. Everywhere. The switchers? Yep cameras in there monitoring everything. Management level? Let’s just say things like computer use is monitored and productivity tracked.

The point I was making is that if people want to be commercial drivers, they will simply adapt to the cameras. Hopefully, if contractors use the cameras as tools, they will address the problems that occur before accidents happen and they become better drivers.
Perhaps it might assist in reducing accident rates thus driving down insurance rates which in turn drives down rates payed to contractors which in turn makes more money for the company and more headaches for contractors when it comes to driver retention.
If you think that there's something in this for you friend, you've been seriously misled .

bbsam

Staff member
Perhaps it might assist in reducing accident rates thus driving down insurance rates which in turn drives down rates payed to contractors which in turn makes more money for the company and more headaches for contractors when it comes to driver retention.
If you think that there's something in this for you friend, you've been seriously misled .
Hey, you know what? I’m actually giving them credit where due. They’ve been trying to push contractors into these purchases for several years. They put up the money in line-haul and saw a 50% reduction in accidents. Now they’re putting even more money into P and D. They’re putting their money where their mouths are and if it makes us a safer company, I have no problem with it.

bacha29

Hey, you know what? I’m actually giving them credit where due. They’ve been trying to push contractors into these purchases for several years. They put up the money in line-haul and saw a 50% reduction in accidents. Now they’re putting even more money into P and D. They’re putting their money where their mouths are and if it makes us a safer company, I have no problem with it.
But when your best drivers tired of undergoing in office rectal reconstruction by a manager on an almost daily basis start walking out in mass and you can't replace them fast enough if at all then we see what you have to say about it.
They're the ones who are going to make money off it or they wouldn't do in the first place in addition to providing even greater assurance that their demand for top of the scale performance for bottom of the scale money will continue to be fulfilled. So when they are performing rectal reconstruction on your best guys for even the smallest most inconsequential judgement errors all you can do is to stand there with your thumb up yours.