Can EAM drivers file 9.5 papers to keep hours down?

804brown

I'm a 28 year veteran full time driver and start at 6:45 AM doing EAM delivers. (This is a bid position) I have been told I can't file 9.5 papers to keep my hours down by UPS managers. My local union Business Agent told me the same thing!!!!, but I haven't read anything in the contract that says EAM driver's like me are exempt from filing 9.5. So I end up working 10.5-12.5 hour days because I have a UPS store that can't be closed out until 6PM or later so my stop count is kept high because supervisor wants me "working" with no dead time. (I contacted a union rep from back east in New York area that said I can file 9.5. I am waiting for his response on how to do this without the support of my local Business Agent) Does anyone have any experience with this matter? Has anyone, anywhere tried to file 9.5 papers doing this "extra" work or anything else that is a bid job that starts them earlier than regular start time and what happened with you? Do I have any recourse using the contract? (Even if I do, how do I handle my local BA not supporting my claim?)

I dont get it?? Isnt the reason you bid the early am work is because you wanted MORE overtime??

scottneedsthis

You should have filed a grievance 3 years ago. Why is it now a problem ?

Trying to dish out the work to another Driver.... Will certainly put you in the running for "most popular".

File a grievance.... but don't be disappointed by the results.

grgrcr88 makes some valid points.

-Bug-

I've never had to file a grievance for excessive hours because I was usually off before 9.5 hours. But when I started doing EAM's November of 2011, I'm working way too many hours. Last week, I was dispatched with a two 12.5 hour day and only went in the whole 6 minutes. As far as dishing out work, I just want management to do something about my excessive hours. I've told all drivers around me if they feel I'm dumping on them to file 9.5. This is what has happened in other areas when other drivers file 9.5 and they "dump" their stops on surrounding drivers. Those drivers then file 9.5 also, forcing managers to add trucks.

scottneedsthis

Were I to bid an EAM route, I would do it to get done earlier, not to work til the same time I currently do and get paid more.
I bid EAM to get more overtime and get off earlier, just like the EAM driver I replaced when he retired but up to a point, not 11-12+ hours/day. I'd be happy with just 10-10.5 hour days. After 28 years I think I deserve it, but it's inconvenient for managers, you know, just like 8 hour day requests are inconvenient. (which I've had ignored by on-road supervisors and a center manager.) The first 20 years or so, I did a lot of stuff I did not like because I was not a senior driver. I've delivered EAM stops that were not easy etc. because the other EAM driver is "senior". I believe that the contract states I have a case to file 9.5 because no where does it state that EAM drivers are exempt from grieving from excessive overtime. I would not grieve for excessive hours if I was at least kept under 10.5/day. And yes, I've told my manager this. Just because I do EAM does not give mangers license to kill me with excessive hours, which they're doing.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Thanks! It seems I'm going to have to this. Although, why would it "end of any friendly relationship between you and any Union official"? They are there to represent me to the best of their ability. Or am I missing something? Here's another question......can a request an 8 hour day and expect to be off by 3:15? Or would it be 5:30, which is 8 hours if I started at my normal start time?

Because filing a labor charge against your local Union is a big deal.

Bad Gas!

Ok...Most responses here are wrong in the southern area. I run EAM and usually make 9.5 unless I help out once in awhile. But we have the number one senior driver in the building running EAM and always going over 10-10.5.. He filed and won over 9.5 grievances last year for over 1000$. EAM is part of the route. Its bid that way. It's not extra work. Therefore, if the route keeps you out late you can file if 3 times a week. He has had to file many more weeks since winning the grivence. So, it hasn't helped get the work off the car. But you should file if you dont want the work so you have mgt attenion that you will win...It's cut and dry here!

scottneedsthis

You didn't mention the other active EAM driver--why is he allowed to get done early and you are not?
I'm certain it is because of The UPS Store that can't be stop completed before 6PM. It's inconvenient for mangers to get someone else to close it out, even after I've pre-lim it. So, I guess, what my supervisor does, is keep my day up to insure I don't finish early, and have "no activity" while I wait until 6PM at The UPS Store. I make the point to mangers that I've been "assigned" a pick-up that isn't "mine" from another driver who's route is dissolved, why can't they do the same with this pick up? Why do I get back to the building after drivers who have less seniority than me? Why can't the driver in my center who goes out with 12 hours a day give up some of his stops, with my extra stops and other drivers who want relief , be made into a route. They won't do it because it's easier not to, and the pressure from some guy up the food chain saying you can only have so many trucks. The pre-load computer dispatch supervisor "scoffs" (and ignores) my on-road supervisor's request to bring my stop count down, even when I show him the print out of the 12 hour day I had the prior day. I have no sympathy for it being difficult to help me with this attitude from management. I do a good job, always make my numbers, but as a center manager has said, "we will always ask for more"

scottneedsthis

Ok...Most responses here are wrong in the southern area. I run EAM and usually make 9.5 unless I help out once in awhile. But we have the number one senior driver in the building running EAM and always going over 10-10.5.. He filed and won over 9.5 grievances last year for over 1000$. EAM is part of the route. Its bid that way. It's not extra work. Therefore, if the route keeps you out late you can file if 3 times a week. He has had to file many more weeks since winning the grivence. So, it hasn't helped get the work off the car. But you should file if you dont want the work so you have mgt attenion that you will win...It's cut and dry here!

FINALLY! This is what I thought. Why doesn't my local business agent know this!!. Please give me the telephone # of the local union so I can connect them with my local. If a precedent has been set, then I have a strong case.

scottneedsthis

You have less senior drivers getting done before you and our mgt team won't do anything to help you?

You need to file on this Monday morning.
I would, but my shop steward and BA say I can't. They take the company position that I "volunteer". I went to my center manager to file 9.5 and he told me I had to give up my EAM work. So, what the heck do I do?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So you first posted I should file Monday morning, then now you agree with my center manager. I'm still working excessive hours. What changed your mind?

What changed my mind is the fact that your center manager tried to work with you and reduce your paid day.

You are filing for excessive hours---you're center manager agreed with you and offered to take away your EAM work, which would bring you under 9.5--you refused--you now have no basis for a grievance.

If you do file Monday morning you can count on your start time being changed as you will no longer have EAM's to deliver.