Can EAM drivers file 9.5 papers to keep hours down?

scottneedsthis

What changed my mind is the fact that your center manager tried to work with you and reduce your paid day.

You are filing for excessive hours---you're center manager agreed with you and offered to take away your EAM work, which would bring you under 9.5--you refused--you now have no basis for a grievance.

If you do file Monday morning you can count on your start time being changed as you will no longer have EAM's to deliver.
I disagree. I take the position of the comment by "Bad Gas".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I disagree. I take the position of the comment by "Bad Gas".

...which is most certainly your right.....but how are you going to justify the 9.5 grievance? Your center manager agreed with you and offered to reduce your paid day--you refused.

I went back and re-read the post by Bad Gas. The difference between that situation and yours is your center manager tried to reduce your paid day.

You have no basis for a 9.5 grievance.

Please let us know how this works out for you. Dave.

UPSGUY72

He want's at 9 - 9.5 hr day so he can get out of work at 4 - 4:30. Taking his EAM's away so he's under 9.5 isn't going to accomplish that.

He wants to work 6:45 to around 4:00. Not 8:00 something till 6:00.

scottneedsthis

...which is most certainly your right.....but how are you going to justify the 9.5 grievance? Your center manager agreed with you and offered to reduce your paid day--you refused.

I went back and re-read the post by Bad Gas. The difference between that situation and yours is your center manager tried to reduce your paid day.

You have no basis for a 9.5 grievance.

Please let us know how this works out for you. Dave.
Thank you. I appreciate your input. I see your point, but still think I have a case. The person that Bad Gas referred to could also have done the same thing and gone back to his normal start time, but he won his case. And I've heard from another union rep from back east that a driver filed a 9.5 grievance and won when he was coming in early for paid safety committee work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He want's at 9 - 9.5 hr day so he can get out of work at 4 - 4:30. Taking his EAM's away so he's under 9.5 isn't going to accomplish that. He wants to work 6:45 to around 4:00. Not 8:00 something till 6:00.

If the center manager was willing to work with the OP by taking away the EAM work maybe he would do the same by taking away some of his pickups.

UPSGUY72

If the center manager was willing to work with the OP by taking away the EAM work maybe he would do the same by taking away some of his pickups.

I would agree. Obviously there is more to the story than is being told.

It could be that EAM aren't just in his area so it's easier to give them to someone else then have another driver have to leave his area to go do the OP's pickups while still cover there own pickups.

scottneedsthis

Ok...Most responses here are wrong in the southern area. I run EAM and usually make 9.5 unless I help out once in awhile. But we have the number one senior driver in the building running EAM and always going over 10-10.5.. He filed and won over 9.5 grievances last year for over 1000$. EAM is part of the route. Its bid that way. It's not extra work. Therefore, if the route keeps you out late you can file if 3 times a week. He has had to file many more weeks since winning the grivence. So, it hasn't helped get the work off the car. But you should file if you dont want the work so you have mgt attenion that you will win...It's cut and dry here!

Was this driver who won given the option to go back to his regular hours to be under 9.5? Because another comment stated I couldn't file a 9.5 grievance because I could have given up doing EAM & gone back to my regular start time. I agree with your opinion that I'm doing bid work, part of the route, and not extra work. This is my position also. It seems cut and dry to me. But, I need to get a clear understanding of this driver's win so I can present it as precedent to my mangers.

scottneedsthis

I would agree. Obviously there is more to the story than is being told.

It could be that EAM aren't just in his area so it's easier to give them to someone else then have another driver have to leave his area to go do the OP's pickups while still cover there own pickups.

The EAM's I do are all over the place. There are only 2 EAM drivers in my center. We deliver EAM in all areas, our own and others. We start at 6:30AM on Mondays and 6:45AM Tuesday-Friday. Not sure what "more to the story than is being told" I've left out. When the opening came up for EAM driver, the driver with the highest seniority got it. Me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The EAM's I do are all over the place. There are only 2 EAM drivers in my center. We deliver EAM in all areas, our own and others. We start at 6:30AM on Mondays and 6:45AM Tuesday-Friday. Not sure what "more to the story than is being told" I've left out. When the opening came up for EAM driver, the driver with the highest seniority got it. Me.

This is like putting together a puzzle without using the picture on the box.

In your first post you said that the EAM's were part of the area that you bid. Now you are saying that you asked for the additional work. Finally you are asking how to file a grievance for excessive overtime caused by the additional work that you asked for. Your center manager offers to take away the additonal work which is causing the excessive overtime and you refuse yet still want to file a 9.5 grievance.

UPSGUY72

I suspect that it's easier to give the EAM's to another driver than to move the pickups to another driver. You want your cake and the ability to eat it too.

scottneedsthis

This is like putting together a puzzle without using the picture on the box.

In your first post you said that the EAM's were part of the area that you bid. Now you are saying that you asked for the additional work. Finally you are asking how to file a grievance for excessive overtime caused by the additional work that you asked for. Your center manager offers to take away the additonal work which is causing the excessive overtime and you refuse yet still want to file a 9.5 grievance.
No, I said, bid on the EAM position. You assumed that I delivered in only my area. I do sometimes. Not always. With only 2 EAM drivers in the center, we are both all over the place. A union driver must do this work. Why not me? Why not do the work and expect to not work 11 + hours a day? I'm sorry it's not convenient for UPS that I don't want to work so late into the night. I want to get off earlier. I guess this makes me wrong in your opinion.

scottneedsthis

I suspect that it's easier to give the EAM's to another driver than to move the pickups to another driver. You want your cake and the ability to eat it too.
There is no other driver to give the EAM's to. It's only me and one other EAM driver in the whole center. I feel strongly that if I start earlier I should be able to get off under 11+ hours. That's what other EAM drivers do.

UPSGUY72

No, I said, bid on the EAM position. You assumed that I delivered in only my area. I do sometimes. Not always. With only 2 EAM drivers in the center, we are both all over the place. A union driver must do this work. Why not me? Why not do the work and expect to not work 11 + hours a day? I'm sorry it's not convenient for UPS that I don't want to work so late into the night. I want to get off earlier. I guess this makes me wrong in your opinion.

I was right on see post #43. The people that get off early are called AIR Drivers maybe you need to bid one of those positions. oh wait they work Sat that isn't going to work either.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Put yourself in the PDS shoes for a moment. How is this person supposed to dispatch your area to make sure you have enough work, get you off the clock at a decent time and make sure the UPS Store is closed out keeping in mind the EAM's that you may or may not have to deliver?

Do yourself a favor and give the EAM's to an air driver. Dave.

scottneedsthis

I was right on see post #43. The people that get off early are called AIR Drivers maybe you need to bid one of those positions. oh wait they work Sat that isn't going to work either.
EAM positions don't go to Air Drivers. They go to full time drivers. I'm looking for input on how to help me. Not derisive comments.