Can I be made to punch back in?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Once you punch out can't punch back in for 10 hours If you do your out of compliance
Find a shop Stewart

This is not true.

The OP, who I assume is a newer driver, was put in to a no-win situation. Stand up for himself and risk losing his job or punch back in. In this case he did the right thing by punching back in and going back to work. He then should have filed a grievance and demanded a 4 hour minimum on top of his 8.

speedbug577

This is from the Southern region of the previous contract. I don't have the current one with me but this may help in locating in current one.
Article 57 - Regular employees shall be guaranteed four (4) pay or work in their classification at the applicable overtime rate when called back to work after completing their regular workday and having left the Company property.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is from the Southern region of the previous contract. I don't have the current one with me but this may help in locating in current one.
Article 57 - Regular employees shall be guaranteed four (4) pay or work in their classification at the applicable overtime rate when called back to work after completing their regular workday and having left the Company property.

The OP was still on company property.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This is not true.

The OP, who I assume is a newer driver, was put in to a no-win situation. Stand up for himself and risk losing his job or punch back in. In this case he did the right thing by punching back in and going back to work. He then should have filed a grievance and demanded a 4 hour minimum on top of his 8.
Depends on the supplement. Like @oldngray in the central if you're back on property after 8 hours of work and all of your break taken you can tell them no.

I've been through this. Was always told work as directed then file. I did that BA said this is a situation than you can tell them no. Had it happen again a few weeks later. Laughed at the sup told him no. He yelled at me all the way to the office that I would be fired blah blah blah. Didn't work. I punched out and went home and I'm sure he berated the next guy that walked through the door.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
My understanding is that if you worked at least 8 hours and took your entire lunch, that you are not required to punch back in. Now saying that, if they sent you a message prior to you punching out and ignored the message or you worked under 8 hours then you SOL

BrownTexas

Southern region here also. Even if you are clocked out they can always clock you back in. You are theirs until you are off property. I would suggest waiting for your ride off property and if they are asking you to go back out as you are leaving, maybe just act like you didn't hear them. It sucks but if you are a newer driver it is part of the game.

My suggestion is slow down, take your lunch, and assume they have your ass for 14 hours a day and work with that pace. I have told management," I have to work at a safe 14 hour a day pace because they kept always sending me back out."

Eventually they will find someone that will do the work faster and use them.

Johney

I did it. I called steward and he said do it...so I did it. Not to start another thread, but he is a pretty shady steward. Not a very likable person either. I wish there was something in the contract. But I can't find anything on it.

All those things sound good. But my job was threatened so I did it. The steward is in bed with her and they've ran schemes and gotten rid of other drivers. He's off the clock everyday at 4pm. If I new there was language I could protect myself. But I've gone through that precious black book three times this weekend and can't find anything.

Once you punch out can't punch back in for 10 hours If you do you're out of compliance
Find a shop Stewart
Winner!

This is not true.

Once again you are WRONG! You need 10 hours off between shifts, doesn't matter if your shift is over for 5 minutes or 5 hours. Punch out means your shift is over period. So did they fix his time that he punched back in to match the time he punched out? If so then I'm quite sure they violated some DOT regs. If not then the driver is in violation.

Johney

OP,
Had you gotten into an accident and your hours were scrutinized and they had not fixed it so it appeared you had never punched out YOU would have been at fault and in violation as HOS are ultimately the drivers responsibility. You punched back in to do another shift before having 10 hours off.

barnyard

KTM rider
I don't know about the Southern but in the Central once you return to the building (not even clocked out) you can't be forced to go back out.

Unless you are the bottom 10%. That number may not be correct, but there is a number. The contract says that once you return to the building you do not have to go back out, unless you are the bottom (whatever the correct number is).

So that could be the issue. If the OP is at the bottom of the seniority list, suck it up princess. If not, file a grievance, although I have no idea what the point would be. What kind of penalty would there be??

My suggestion would be to get on the 9/5 list.

Gear

Parts on Order
UPS does not own any of us. Punched out, off of UPS property and demanded to go back to work? She crossed the line. Crap like this is why unions exist. She knows you need your job, and manipulates that like a snake in the grass. Get rid of the steward. This is the negative side of having a good job that is hard to replace. You better read your contract, she'll be back to puff out her chest again.

raceanoncr

Tried that a couple times while on electronic log books in feeders. Punched out, walking out. Said he was gonna punch me back in. I said, "My DOT log book says I'm done and will need 10 hours off before I punch back in".

He says, "I can "fix" the log book"

Me: "You want to alter the DOT log book?"

He: "I'll get somebody else".

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
That is the key, "After punched out." There is no language for that, just returning to the building.
alot of grey area, what if i do a crackhead turn in and punch out before getting to the diad office where all the drama occurs