Can I be made to punch back in?

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
They cannot make you punch back in after you have completed your day. The only possible exception is if they had told you prior to returning to the building that you needed to help someone and you chose to ignore it. Ups may own us when we are on the clock but after I punch out I am on my time and management has no business telling me what to do.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Sitting in the cafeteria before work having a cup of coffee, management approaches and wants employee to start early. So many times seen employee refused. Nothing they can do about it.
As far as already being clocked out and approached while outside to return, what if employee had left and went to a basketball game, is management going to come to the game and demand they return to work. Or maybe down the street in a hospital with spouse, does management have the right to come to the hospital room and demand they return to work?
They cannot force you to even discuss a union matter with them off the clock!

rod

Retired 22 years
If I had nothing else going on after work I would probably punched back in-----but in the long run they would have regretted it because by then I would have been in my "after work" mode which wasn't anywhere like moving at UPS speed.

iDontWorkAtUps

Dude you sound way too easy. Who cares if you had a similar name. The first name was the name YOU picked not anyone else and you should have kept it and told anyone who didnt like your screen name to fk off. And...You punched out but were bullied into punching back in.

Stop letting people push you around!
Maybe he like his job and doesnt want to get fired for something he is unsure about?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Depends on the supplement. Like @oldngray in the central if you're back on property after 8 hours of work and all of your break taken you can tell them no.

I've been through this. Was always told work as directed then file. I did that BA said this is a situation than you can tell them no. Had it happen again a few weeks later. Laughed at the sup told him no. He yelled at me all the way to the office that I would be fired blah blah blah. Didn't work. I punched out and went home and I'm sure he berated the next guy that walked through the door.
i walked out on them too several times but i know my rights. The OP did the right thing by working as directed and then asking questions after. better safe than sorry.

as feeder, we have to take 10 hrs off between punches. also you can turn down extra work if you are tired and feel unsafe but i only used that excuse when it was true.

once they know they can push you around it will never stop until you know your rights.

speak to your BA about this.

barnyard

KTM rider
alot of grey area, what if i do a crackhead turn in and punch out before getting to the diad office where all the drama occurs

We were having a Keter audit and a driver punched out and left his board at the NDA turn in and went to his car and left.

Contractually, it does appear to be a gray area.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Winner!

Once again you are WRONG! You need 10 hours off between shifts, doesn't matter if your shift is over for 5 minutes or 5 hours. Punch out means your shift is over period. So did they fix his time that he punched back in to match the time he punched out? If so then I'm quite sure they violated some DOT regs. If not then the driver is in violation.

Punching back in would extend the current shift, not start a second one.

By The Book

i walked out on them too several times but i know my rights. The OP did the right thing by working as directed and then asking questions after. better safe than sorry.

as feeder, we have to take 10 hrs off between punches. also you can turn down extra work if you are tired and feel unsafe but i only used that excuse when it was true.

once they know they can push you around it will never stop until you know your rights.

speak to your BA about this.
It will never stop until you stand up for your rights!

wayfair

swollen member
Punching back in would extend the current shift, not start a second one.

this is current

This is from the Southern region of the previous contract. I don't have the current one with me but this may help in locating in current one.
Article 57 - Regular employees shall be guaranteed four (4) pay or work in their classification at the applicable overtime rate when called back to work after completing their regular workday and having left the Company property.

clean hairy

this is current

This is from the Southern region of the previous contract. I don't have the current one with me but this may help in locating in current one.
Article 57 - Regular employees shall be guaranteed four (4) pay or work in their classification at the applicable overtime rate when called back to work after completing their regular workday and having left the Company property.
I have the current contract and just looked it up.
The wording is still the same as the previous contract.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Once you punch out can't punch back in for 10 hours If you do your out of compliance
Find a shop Stewart

Incorrect. While they cannot make you punch back in, if you do, your hours of service just continue.

You do not need 10 hours off. Although, once you punch back in, you may only have anywhere from 0 to 6 hours available, up to your 14, depending on how long you worked before you punched out.