Can I get in trouble for not reporting a thief in my trailer if they're caught?

I will say this...I saw quite a few candy boxes 'accidentally' open up back in the day when I was working the sort.

It was a fairly common thing that both the hourlies AND the PT sups would then help themselves to a few pieces off the trailer floor. Common enough that the FT sort manager mentioned that it was being noticed by whomever keeps track of these things, but no discipline ever happened, and it just kind continued to go on. Probably still does.

I never saw anyone taking hard goods though, although I'm not naive enough to believe that it didn't go on, especially with knowing who our biggest account (which I will not mention) was at the time.

OP, you should do whatever YOU think is the correct thing to do. I know how I would go about it, but what works for me, might not be the best course of action for you. I do know for sure that nobody respects a snitch though, so if you must rat, I'd probably use the hotline.
By knowing first hand that the unloader is stealing from the company and not saying anything, automatically makes the OP an accomplice. Subject to not just termination but also any criminal action the company may take.

WTFm8

I'm an unloader and there is this other unloader in my shift that is like a kleptomaniac. Every time I'm unloading with this guy, he is busting open packages for candy, juice bottles, food, Iphones, headphones and everything else that's small enough to smuggle out or won't be paid too much attention to.

Now let me state my position here-- I honestly don't care what he is doing in his own trailers because if he gets caught, that's on him. But you see, when he is doing that in the same trailer as me, I'm afraid they're going to think I was an accomplice if he is caught even tho the camera should show me constantly unloading.

I'm cool with the guy and I'm remiss to snitch but this is my job we're talking about. We've already had 2 arrest for stealing in my facility this year and I don't want to join them. I feel like I'm kinda being forced to throw him up under the bus to save myself. And no, I haven't talked to him about this because if he is caught stealing, I don't want him to suspect me of snitching. He is a pretty dangerous guy.

So I want to know that if he does get caught stealing in one of my trailers and he is caught, will I get in trouble or be fired along with him for not saying anything?

You’re just as dumb as him if you don’t report him. Tell a steward and they can handle it. They’ll get with loss prevention/management to document/observe and then he’ll be gone.

Furen

You’re just as dumb as him if you don’t report him. Tell a steward and they can handle it. They’ll get with loss prevention/management to document/observe and then he’ll be gone.

No, I'm dumb if I run to the steward. They run with the same 'crew'. It will probably result in a talking to, but my steward doesn't respect snitching in the least. I can already see the disgusted look in his eyes regarding me as I'm downgraded from a Man for ratting dude out to him. And if he gets a talking to, he'll be sniffing around for how the steward caught wind which he is bound to find out as they have 'mutual allies'. No, I have to be smart about this. If I blow the whistle on him, I need him fired not warned, where he has no chance to sniff around.

For that there is only two people in power at the facility that would swiftly terminate him. That's the Head supervisor who dispatched the two thieves I mentioned this year, but I don't have the best relationship with her and I can't help but feel that she would look at me with the degradation of the warden's pet for doing so. The next is the female head of security. I've never uttered more than hi to her because quite frankly she intimidates me. She has a marine cut, big amazonian stature and the very angry scrutinizing eyes of a woman that has seen the horrors of war. Every time her eyes are on me, I turn mines to the floor. Quite frankly I think she'd be more at home in a black ops division than working security at a ups facility but I digress. If I dropped hints to them, they would put him on a monitor and he would be gone within a few days because he steals that often with impunity.

Tho I'm not really trying to get the man fired by my own volition. I understand people have their families & things to take care of and I would personally feel kinda bad being the direct source of a man losing his livelihood. If he gets himself caught and fired, that's his own fault and my conscience is clean. I just don't want him to steal in my trailer so I'm not linked to his wanton indiscretions. He could be taking blood diamonds out his trailer and that would be none of my business. I'm certainly not about to try to play Hero with dangerous ex convicts for the sake of doing ups a solid when they're consistently short on my check and barely want to give me my 3.5. To that end, I think what bbsam said is the most logical way to go for now.

I will tell my supervisor tomorrow "Look Boss, I can't be paired up in trailers with X anymore and don't send him to help me in my trailers anymore. He's a cool cat socially, but I need this Job and I can't afford to look like I was party to anything that could potentially make me lose my job. I hope you get where I'm coming from." If he ask "Why? What's wrong?" I'll just pat his shoulder and say "That's for you to figure out in time." With that I think I'll have protected myself without losing my dignity as a snitch.

No, I'm dumb if I run to the steward. They run with the same 'crew'. It will probably result in a talking to, but my steward doesn't respect snitching in the least. I can already see the disgusted look in his eyes regarding me as I'm downgraded from a Man for ratting dude out to him. And if he gets a talking to, he'll be sniffing around for how the steward caught wind which he is bound to find out as they have 'mutual allies'. No, I have to be smart about this. If I blow the whistle on him, I need him fired not warned, where he has no chance to sniff around.

For that there is only two people in power at the facility that would swiftly terminate him. That's the Head supervisor who dispatched the two thieves I mentioned this year, but I don't have the best relationship with her and I can't help but feel that she would look at me with the degradation of the warden's pet for doing so. The next is the female head of security. I've never uttered more than hi to her because quite frankly she intimidates me. She has a marine cut, big amazonian stature and the very angry scrutinizing eyes of a woman that has seen the horrors of war. Every time her eyes are on me, I turn mines to the floor. Quite frankly I think she'd be more at home in a black ops division than working security at a ups facility but I digress. If I dropped hints to them, they would put him on a monitor and he would be gone within a few days because he steals that often with impunity.

Tho I'm not really trying to get the man fired by my own volition. I understand people have their families & things to take care of and I would personally feel kinda bad being the direct source of a man losing his livelihood. If he gets himself caught and fired, that's his own fault and my conscience is clean. I just don't want him to steal in my trailer so I'm not linked to his wanton indiscretions. He could be taking blood diamonds out his trailer and that would be none of my business. I'm certainly not about to try to play Hero with dangerous ex convicts for the sake of doing ups a solid when they're consistently short on my check and barely want to give me my 3.5. To that end, I think what bbsam said is the most logical way to go for now.

I will tell my supervisor tomorrow "Look Boss, I can't be paired up in trailers with X anymore and don't send him to help me in my trailers anymore. He's a cool cat socially, but I need this Job and I can't afford to look like I was party to anything that could potentially make me lose my job. I hope you get where I'm coming from." If he ask "Why? What's wrong?" I'll just pat his shoulder and say "That's for you to figure out in time." With that I think I'll have protected myself without losing my dignity as a snitch.
Reporting a crime is now considered being a snitch? Wow. Sure hope you are never a victim of a crime and no one comes forward to help you because they do not want to be called a snitch.

Dough99

Snitches get stitches

LarryBird

Reporting a crime is now considered being a snitch? Wow. Sure hope you are never a victim of a crime and no one comes forward to help you because they do not want to be called a snitch.
Yes. Reporting a crime is considered a snitch. What else would snitching be? Reporting your little brother to mommy for stealing a dollar from your piggy bank? C'mon mang, be serious.

Whenever possible, you should deal with matters yourself. I can only imagine a handful of scenarios where I would involve the police or figures of authority such as a person's employer, and eating some candy surely isn't one of them.

LarryBird

Dude. Just :censored2:ing talk to him. Make something up if you feel the need to.

If you can't just say "hey man, do me a favor, and please don't pull your bull:censored2: while we're sharing a trailer, I really need this job, and I don't wanna be at risk". Then you can say "yo bro, I heard them talking about ________ going missing, and a few of our names in the unload got mentioned...I think they're on to you and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a camera on us...that's how they caught the last 2 guys, you should chill for your own protection". That makes it seem like you're saying something in a friendly way because you have his back or whatever bull:censored2:.

Don't scheme about ways to tell on him, and I really don't think @bbsam method of just walking out of trailers and refusing to work as instructed is gonna fly too well, if anything that makes you look bad, and will lead to forcing you to explain why you're doing this, which is what you're saying is exactly what you don't want to happen.

Sometimes you just have to have an uncomfortable conversation with people. If he's an "ex-con", as you say, he'll appreciate the respect that you showed him by coming to him like a man. Trust me.

If you talk to this guy, it will go a long way, and he will respect you back and not steal things when he's around you.

LarryBird

Or you can just call the hotline they have in place for matters like this and for the exact reasons you're afraid of.

You're making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

Mountains outta molehills...yada yada yada...etc etc etc

LarryBird

Naw, there are a few others in the unload that I've talked to outside of work and they've also said they witnessed him stealing and don't want him around their trailers.
And nobody has manned up and said something yet?

How scary and 'dangerous' is this guy exactly?

Furen

Dude. Just :censored2:ing talk to him. Make something up if you feel the need to.

If you can't just say "hey man, do me a favor, and please don't pull your bull:censored2: while we're sharing a trailer, I really need this job, and I don't wanna be at risk". Then you can say "yo bro, I heard them talking about ________ going missing, and a few of our names in the unload got mentioned...I think they're on to you and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a camera on us...that's how they caught the last 2 guys, you should chill for your own protection". That makes it seem like you're saying something in a friendly way because you have his back or whatever bull:censored2:.

Don't scheme about ways to tell on him, and I really don't think @bbsam method of just walking out of trailers and refusing to work as instructed is gonna fly too well, if anything that makes you look bad, and will lead to forcing you to explain why you're doing this, which is what you're saying is exactly what you don't want to happen.

Sometimes you just have to have an uncomfortable conversation with people. If he's an "ex-con", as you say, he'll appreciate the respect that you showed him by coming to him like a man. Trust me.

If you talk to this guy, it will go a long way, and he will respect you back and not steal things when he's around you.

I've had the camera chat with him and he straight up told me he doesn't care about the cameras. We were in a trailer unloading when he spotted a box of skittles. He told me to keep working and I told him the Camera was watching. He told me he didn't care about, knelt down low, busted the package open, started filling his pockets, retaped the box and sent it on its way. If I tell him that I heard the supes mentioning our names as people of interest in the recent thefts and I can't have any heat on me, he should probably back off.

Furen

And nobody has manned up and said something yet?

How scary and 'dangerous' is this guy exactly?

Tatted from head to toe hardcore Gang member. The type of guy that casually talks about who he'd like to beat & kill as if we were discussing changes in the weather. The type of man one might fear would follow them home with their buddies if provoked.

LarryBird

I've had the camera chat with him and he straight up told me he doesn't care about the cameras. We were in a trailer unloading when he spotted a box of skittles. He told me to keep working and I told him the Camera was watching. He told me he didn't care about, knelt down low, busted the package open, started filling his pockets, retaped the box and sent it on its way. If I tell him that I heard the supes mentioning our names as people of interest in the recent thefts and I can't have any heat on me, he should probably back off.
If that doesn't work, call the hotline. Don't snitch to anyone in your building, all they're gonna do is call LP anyway. They won't handle it in house - your district's security guy will start an investigation, and he WILL catch him.

If the guy doesn't want to take the chance to listen to reason, and doesn't care about a potential camera, :censored2: him.

Although I don't condone theft from UPS, I dislike snitching more than I dislike a guy eating some free skittles. But if he's gonna keep doing it, and you really feel like your job could be :censored2:ed with - welp, then he's gots to go. Your conscience should be clear after that. He would have had his chance to stop, or at the very least, stop doing it around you and your work areas.

Good luck, man. Take care of business, and cover your own ass.

LarryBird

Tatted from head to toe hardcore Gang member. The type of guy that casually talks about who he'd like to beat & kill as if we were discussing changes in the weather. The type of man one might fear would follow them home with their buddies if provoked.
Yeah, you're gonna want to call the hotline for sure with this gem.

But seriously try to talk to him first. If it doesn't work, then give it a week or two after, and call up and anonymously let them know what's going on.

specter208

Naw, there are a few others in the unload that I've talked to outside of work and they've also said they witnessed him stealing and don't want him around their trailers.
This is what Word of God says:

Mathew 18:15-17
- If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. "But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that BY THE MOUTH OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES EVERY FACT MAY BE CONFIRMED. "If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

Galatians 6:1
- Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore your brother in a spirit of gentleness. keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted."