Can I work my vacation week?

UPSNoMore

I am a part-time employee & union member that works the 3rd shift at the Air Hub in Rockford, Illinois. I have a scheduled vacation week next week, but I would like to work during that time a be payed for it. I received my vacation week check last week. Can I work my vacation week for more money? Does the contract address this issue specifically? Any guidance, instruction or advice would me appreciated.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It will probably depend on what kind of staffing your Hub has. If they need you, then it shouldn't be a problem. The plan is to have enough people to cover employees who are scheduled off. Maybe enough people will want off to let you work in their place.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What is wrong with working a vaca week if one chooses to?

I know that if I were a junior employee who wanted to also take that week off but couldn't as it was closed and I knew that KJEZ was supposed to be on vacation yet chose to work, I would be having a discussion with my supervisor.

UPSGUY72

You need to check with you steward and see if it is allowed in your area. As I interperet my rider you might be able to work if it is an option week but not if it is a regular vaction week.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
What is wrong with working a vaca week if one chooses to?

Whats wrong is that you are taking an opertunity away from a junior employee to work. How would you like to be the one laid off because someone is greedy and wants to get paid double.

In the central you can only work thru your optional week. Any other week will get grieved by a laid off employee and paid 40 hours of strait time pay.

LittleBilly19

Nothing is wrong with it.. but come on I mean get a life. If u can't do anything better then work at ups when ur paid to be home it is sad..

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I don't work my vacation weeks, I work for my vacation weeks. I know people in other fields of work that don't have time to use all their vacation and they forfit it. So sad.

fethrs

Whats wrong is that you are taking an opertunity away from a junior employee to work. How would you like to be the one laid off because someone is greedy and wants to get paid double.

In the central you can only work thru your optional week. Any other week will get grieved by a laid off employee and paid 40 hours of strait time pay.

You don't know my hub or the operation, there are NO junior people who I am taking work away from.
There are no laid of part timers at my hub.
They would just do without me and not replace me, AND they need me anyway so why not work?
My sups are fine with it.
I don't appreciate the innuendo that I am greedy, you don't know my situation.

fethrs

I know that if I were a junior employee who wanted to also take that week off but couldn't as it was closed and I knew that KJEZ was supposed to be on vacation yet chose to work, I would be having a discussion with my supervisor.

I missed a vaca week that I was not paid for, and I got the dates mixed up and worked through that week not realizing it was a vaca week.
I am not displacing anyone, all the vaca schedules in my hub are done in Jan. and no one has the week off that I had to reschedule.

fethrs

Nothing is wrong with it.. but come on I mean get a life. If u can't do anything better then work at ups when ur paid to be home it is sad..
If nothing is wrong with it, why is it sad, it's my business and if I choose to work and I can then that is that.
Besides I don't work all my vaca weeks, in fact this is the first time this year and get this...I don't even know if I am going to yet.. haven't decided and it's my choice. Ha!

fethrs

Ok this thread should be open. I apologize to those who wanted to reply but was unable to.

Back to the original topic!

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Only one reason to work your vacation is because you have no money... period. no other reason. I can't stand people who work their vacation and laugh when they complain about me taking days off.

I take all my vacation that I earn and enjoy the time off. Now maybe some of you need to get some books on how to manage your money.