Can the supervisors really fire me for simply not unloading at the pace they want me to work at?

JLGjr1995

I guess even a crappy job making a hundred dollars a week is better then no job. If you can stick it out for a year you will receive benefits and two weeks paid vacation and paid Holidays. Your body will get used to strain in a month or so and you can just put it on cruise control and turn your mind off.
Yeah, I've been trying to get used to it but at the same time, still trying to follow safety procedures since I can also get in trouble for not following them properly if I ever get hurt. Most of the supervisors at my hub are alright with me, it's just one or two particular supervisors that keep giving me :censored2: for not meeting up their unrealistic demands. I mean seriously, how is 26 pieces per minute possible without either wearing myself out soon or hurting myself?

PT Car Washer

Yeah, I've been trying to get used to it but at the same time, still trying to follow safety procedures since I can also get in trouble for not following them properly if I ever get hurt. Most of the supervisors at my hub are alright with me, it's just one or two particular supervisors that keep giving me :censored2: for not meeting up their unrealistic demands. I mean seriously, how is 26 pieces per minute possible without either wearing myself out soon or hurting myself?
26 pieces a minute is not realistic at all for an entire trailer. Just brief times when you are unloading a bunch of smalls. I think your sups are playing "nice sup and mean sup" with you. Pretty common.

As a PT sup that used to run an unload belt, you're at a fine PPH already. As time goes on you'll get used to the job and unloading may go along faster as you get a good rhythm going. Don't worry, tell you sups you're trying your hardest and you'll get the hand of it in time.

TTIMMAAYY

When I started just under 10 yrs ago local sort,Ill never forget what my new fellow experienced co-workers told me my first day."We lost the Staples account yesterday, lucky muther friendr!" Since then,get caught with even the slightest complaint of how hard work is and you'll be quickly reminded about the legendary Staples trailer. 100% full pallets of 60to85lbs ea..straight from hell..lmao

ibleedbrown

come in every day on time, try and eat some extra calories, before work drink a coffee. treat it as a workout while still working safe, 8 keys to lifting and lowering etc etc. don't try and be a super hero but try and improve day to day and work at a brisk, steady pace, the coffee should help give you that extra boost to keep the sups of your back.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What you do is have a talk with your sorter privately. Let them know you are going to KILL it and that THEY will shut you off every five minutes.n Get to know your sorters if you can.

It's a never-ending cycle. Dumb ol' UPS using their usual intimidation tactics. They love new blood. Good luck. ;)

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
21 pieces a minute is 1260 an hour.. Not bad if you can keep that pace for the whole sort. 26 pieces a minute is 1560 an hour and not at all realistic with irregs and large boxes and damages. Just do the best you can and don't worry about loosing a minimum wage part time job with no benefits. You can do better.
Depends. With the new extendos that go all the way into the truck it's reasonable. I remember flat busting it in the old trucks and maybe getting a truck done in 55 minutes.

Got laid off a few years after driving and had to double shift. Unloaded a truck solo on 45 minutes and didn't feel like I was even working. Huge difference.

Depends. With the new extendos that go all the way into the truck it's reasonable. I remember flat busting it in the old trucks and maybe getting a truck done in 55 minutes.

Got laid off a few years after driving and had to double shift. Unloaded a truck solo on 45 minutes and didn't feel like I was even working. Huge difference.
Plus they also go up and down. That's a big help.

Nimnim

The Nim
If you're doing 21 packages a minute you're faster than the metric I was trained on and always heard, 1200 pph (20 ppm), hell I started around 900 pph (15 ppm) and worked my way up. Keep giving it a good effort but don't kill yourself, you'll get your seniority without issue if you maintain anything close to that pace.

In my hub we're lucky to get more than half the people at that pace half of the shift. They get yelled at to go faster, but I've not seen anyone disciplined unless they are *very* obviously sandbagging their work.

Nimnim

The Nim

I like talking with the newer people and telling them how good they have it. Most can't believe that we had to leave the trailer to hit a lever to raise or lower the belt. Or that there were dropframes where you hade to lift flaps and send everything out on rollers.

Unloaders have it much easier now on the tech front, but they have to deal with more irregs that the current extendos aren't friendly with than I had to. Still rather deal with the new extendos with irregs than lifting them from under flaps in a dropframe though.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Plus they also go up and down. That's a big help.
Not in our hub. The new extendos do not really begin to drop until you are 15-20 feet in, even then it's very slowly. The old extendos dropped to the floor at about 15-20 feet in.

The fact is that new extendos are slower for PPH, unless you are only dealing with 1/4 loads in 53's.

Brownslave688

Not in our hub. The new extendos do not really begin to drop until you are 15-20 feet in, even then it's very slowly. The old extendos dropped to the floor at about 15-20 feet in.

The fact is that new extendos are slower for PPH, unless you are only dealing with 1/4 loads in 53's.
You can move them up and down with a lever at the end.

Maybe in theory they are slower but you can def unload a trailer faster.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You can move them up and down with a lever at the end.

Maybe in theory they are slower but you can def unload a trailer faster.
the new extendos do not go down until you are at least 10 or 20 feet in, in our hub. Plus they are not really an acceptable height until you are almost done unloading. I know what I am talking about . Its unsafe and slows down unload rate.

Brownslave688

the new extendos do not go down until you are at least 10 or 20 feet in, in our hub. Plus they are not really an acceptable height until you are almost done unloading. I know what I am talking about . Its unsafe and slows down unload rate.
I'm
Not sure what you all have for extendos or how new they are but these were installed about 10 years ago and they move about cheat high and I'm over 6 feet tall and go all the way to the ground

I know what I'm talking about too. At least as far as our style goes. I've used them and like I said before I could unload a trailer in just under and hour but that was busting it out. With the new ones. 45 minutes all day long.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm
Not sure what you all have for extendos or how new they are but these were installed about 10 years ago and they move about cheat high and I'm over 6 feet tall and go all the way to the ground

I know what I'm talking about too. At least as far as our style goes. I've used them and like I said before I could unload a trailer in just under and hour but that was busting it out. With the new ones. 45 minutes all day long.
Yeah you are talking about something different. The new ones here (installed last year in our hub) do not extend to the ground or anywhere near it, they start at chest high and the lowest they go is around 3' off the ground at the end of a 53' trailer.

Health and safety, though! LOL

dudebro

You guys might think this is funny, but I'm an IE guy, and I've NEVER written a hub MSD where the unload rate was anywhere as high as 26 pieces / minute. Just come to work on time every day until you make seniority and don't even hint at having a bad attitude until you're in. Don't even click your teeth at someone.

Because the real metric is, a disgruntled employee in pre-seniority is a nightmare in seniority.

km3

Yeah you are talking about something different. The new ones here (installed last year in our hub) do not extend to the ground or anywhere near it, they start at chest high and the lowest they go is around 3' off the ground at the end of a 53' trailer.

Health and safety, though! LOL

Yep, we have those too. Not on every door, thank god. Everyone hates them. An extendo that goes all the way into a 53' isn't worth the complications that arise from its limited vertical motion. I hope management listens and puts a stop to these monstrosities, but I fear that the decision to install more will come from someone higher up than anyone in our building. :/

They also have a delayed response time. Whether you want to start or stop the belt, or move the extendo in/out, you'll have to wait at least 1 second before it does anything. The only thing that's instantaneous is the bumper on the front that causes it to go back a bit, so you don't get pegged in. And although it's a nice safety feature, it's entirely too sensitive.