Can the Union Force Local 89?

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Good for them. But we are talking part ptimers here that start anywheres during the day. How many drivers we show up at 12:45 a.m, when their start time is 130?
All they're asking for is a reasonable amount of time to be able to park their cars and get in and clock in without having to be there half hour early, or more.
Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
They're not asking for a reasonable amount of time to park their cars, they're asking to be paid to park their cars.

stink219

Good for them. But we are talking part ptimers here that start anywheres during the day. How many drivers we show up at 12:45 a.m, when their start time is 130?
All they're asking for is a reasonable amount of time to be able to park their cars and get in and clock in without having to be there half hour early, or more.
Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
Not saying it is unreasonable. But is this a new problem? Seems like it's not. Why wasn't this pushed at the two man? Why hasn't Zuck addressed it until as of recent? I remember being at my hall way before negotiations started and addressing issues we felt were necessary.

~A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction.~

Satuirus2000

Not saying it is unreasonable. But is this a new problem? Seems like it's not. Why wasn't this pushed at the two man? Why hasn't Zuck addressed it until as of recent? I remember being at my hall way before negotiations started and addressing issues we felt were necessary.

~A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction.~

The shuttle issue has been a problem for years. I know Fred Z has tried in the past to get something done about it but was always shut down. However this has been the only contract year where the company has made any effort to actually address the problem despite past attempts. This is also the year where the info about the new parking lot came about, thus making the shuttle issue even more salient. So this was a good year to really try to push forward on this. I'm not interested anymore about why this issue didn't get attention in the past. It is getting attention now and I don't see anything wrong in trying to make it better. UPS offered people $1000. If it's not a big deal to ride 30 minutes or so on the shuttle to get to your work area they wouldn't have even bothered to offer money. But they did. To me they're blatantly admitting that it's a big enough issue worth addressing. Of course now they've even removed that, which I've said before is very disingenuous.

And in regards to the new shuttles, they didn't do that out of the kindness of their hearts. Again, our parking lot is being moved. Thus to drive us from one street to another requires new buses. The buses they are using now are NOT street legal. They had no choice but to get new buses as the old ones could not be used on the open roads. If we weren't moving to a new lot in the future I have no doubt that getting new shuttles would be on the bottom of their list seeing as how it has been for nearly a decade despite repeated pleas for new ones. Still, I'm happy were getting new buses, but if I had a choice of either a new bus or being compensated for time spent getting to my workplace, I'd choose compensation every time. I hope I've shed some light on this issue for some people but I'm personally done talking about this shuttle thing for awhile. Some don't understand, don't care, think it's already been properly addressed,or just don't think it's a big deal. All of which is a bit disappointing, but it's fine. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. I do wanna say thanks to those who have at least offered their support for our local. I don't speak for the entire local but it is at least appreciated by me. I hope our efforts can yield some good results, not just on this issue, but the many others afflicting our hub, and then we can all move on.

10 point

There are other issues the members want addressed and I agreed the should be. In my opinion there should have been grievances filed a long time ago to attempt to address the issues prior to negotiations. The members deserve to be represented but to be fair to the IBT people should know all of the facts before slamming them. In my opinion. It is the agreement they are going to be working under for 5 wait 4 no maybe 3 years. Who the hell knows how long but they deserve a good one. I just think it could have been handled differently by certain people that all.
Also there has been at least 3 people sent into there to attempt to help.
Did they bring cash?

Stonefish

The 2 person meeting was unanimous in favor at the national and central.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
And for the record Mr 407, my name isn't Skippy, I'm not your "son" and definitely not your "boy".

All your trash talk to other teamster posters doesn't make you look tougher. It just precipitates more trash back at you. I'm up for the game but I'd rather not waste more time dealing with it.
Let's move on.
Yea you are right. Let's all move on. I don't feel the need to fight with teamsters anymore. I'm over it. I hope everything works out for you guys. I appreciate your enthusiasm with being teamsters. I'm done with the infighting. It makes us all look bad.

brownone

Taken off local 89 web site that has a copy of the rider...
The shuttle issue has been a problem for years. I know Fred Z has tried in the past to get something done about it but was always shut down. However this has been the only contract year where the company has made any effort to actually address the problem despite past attempts. This is also the year where the info about the new parking lot came about, thus making the shuttle issue even more salient. So this was a good year to really try to push forward on this. I'm not interested anymore about why this issue didn't get attention in the past. It is getting attention now and I don't see anything wrong in trying to make it better. UPS offered people $1000. If it's not a big deal to ride 30 minutes or so on the shuttle to get to your work area they wouldn't have even bothered to offer money. But they did. To me they're blatantly admitting that it's a big enough issue worth addressing. Of course now they've even removed that, which I've said before is very disingenuous.

And in regards to the new shuttles, they didn't do that out of the kindness of their hearts. Again, our parking lot is being moved. Thus to drive us from one street to another requires new buses. The buses they are using now are NOT street legal. They had no choice but to get new buses as the old ones could not be used on the open roads. If we weren't moving to a new lot in the future I have no doubt that getting new shuttles would be on the bottom of their list seeing as how it has been for nearly a decade despite repeated pleas for new ones. Still, I'm happy were getting new buses, but if I had a choice of either a new bus or being compensated for time spent getting to my workplace, I'd choose compensation every time. I hope I've shed some light on this issue for some people but I'm personally done talking about this shuttle thing for awhile. Some don't understand, don't care, think it's already been properly addressed,or just don't think it's a big deal. All of which is a bit disappointing, but it's fine. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. I do wanna say thanks to those who have at least offered their support for our local. I don't speak for the entire local but it is at least appreciated by me. I hope our efforts can yield some good results, not just on this issue, but the many others afflicting our hub, and then we can all move on.

There are no new parking lots being opened. There are less than 1000 people who park in extended lot and double shuttle. These are management and hourly. Total ride time is less than 20 minutes.

brownone

By the way how about the benefit of getting your college paid for while working in SDF. Not negotiated, but still the company pays.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
By the way how about the benefit of getting your college paid for while working in SDF. Not negotiated, but still the company pays.
Not entirely true, although this is the way the company likes to portrait it.
The college assistance program is a State and City sponsored program that UPS does pay into, but comes nowhere near shouldering a majority of the bill.

The company sent letters to the homes of these kids and their parents stating that if the contract wasn't ratified, that somehow this program would be terminated.
This tactic was angrily rebuked by the Louisville City Council and was nothing short of an unsuccessful dirty trick.

While this program is no doubt a wonderful benefit for Worldport employees and enhanced as a result of UPS's strong position in the Louisville area, it is hardly a company provided program.

brownone

Not entirely true, although this is the way the company likes to portrait it.
The college assistance program is a State and City sponsored program that UPS does pay into, but comes nowhere near shouldering a majority of the bill.

The company sent letters to the homes of these kids and their parents stating that if the contract wasn't ratified, that somehow this program would be terminated.
This tactic was angrily rebuked by the Louisville City Council and was nothing short of an unsuccessful dirty trick.

While this program is no doubt a wonderful benefit for Worldport employees and enhanced as a result of UPS's strong position in the Louisville area, it is hardly a company provided program.

No it is true, UPS pays by plan 50% and when the state had a shortfall in funds 2 years ago UPS paid it all.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Taken off local 89 web site that has a copy of the rider...

There are no new parking lots being opened. There are less than 1000 people who park in extended lot and double shuttle. These are management and hourly. Total ride time is less than 20 minutes.
I was there Tuesday and there is for sure a parking lot being readied for use across the highway, with a pedestrian bridge to make the crossing.
As it was explained to me, a portion of the present employee parking lot will be absorbed for yet another expansion of the operation.

While these expansions that facilitate the movement of UPS's most profitable packages have been very lucrative for the company over the past 2 decades, the front line employees continue to be left behind in the distribution of the spoils.
Instead they fall further behind, spending increasingly larger periods of uncompensated time commuting to there work stations after already having made their own personal commute.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
No it is true, UPS pays by plan 50% and when the state had a shortfall in funds 2 years ago UPS paid it all.
Everything I have been told and have read says 25%.
What percentage of Worldport employees participate in this program?

Are you denying that UPS sent the letters to the participants and their families?

10 point

Are you denying that UPS sent the letters to the participants and their families?
The company will do whatever it needs to do to keep employees coming to work at LouKy Worldport.
Ive seen truckloads of Dominos Pizza passed out on Friday night (freebies) and UPS knows what it's up against in that hub in respect to keeping employees because of the $$$$ that's generated thru there and the $$$$ that's been spent there.
FYI: The video of the City council meeting is on line and available for review.

brownone

Not denying the letters were sent. I do not know the percent, but I believe there are 2,000 in the Metro College program and another 500 in the earn and learn.

brownone

The company will do whatever it needs to do to keep employees coming to work at LouKy Worldport.
Ive seen truckloads of Dominos Pizza passed out on Friday night (freebies) and UPS knows what it's up against in that hub in respect to keeping employees because of the $$$$ that's generated thru there and the $$$$ that's been spent there.
FYI: The video of the City council meeting is on line and available for review.

City has nothing really to do with he education program, as it is between the state of KY and UPS.