Can the Union Force Local 89?

brownone

I was there Tuesday and there is for sure a parking lot being readied for use across the highway, with a pedestrian bridge to make the crossing.
As it was explained to me, a portion of the present employee parking lot will be absorbed for yet another expansion of the operation.

While these expansions that facilitate the movement of UPS's most profitable packages have been very lucrative for the company over the past 2 decades, the front line employees continue to be left behind in the distribution of the spoils.
Instead they fall further behind, spending increasingly larger periods of uncompensated time commuting to there work stations after already having made their own personal commute.

Where is this mystery parking lot being built? If your talking about the work done at Edgewood that was done to widen the rode and make it safer for the people, including pilots who use this rode. UPS paid for 100% of this by the way.

10 point

City has nothing really to do with he education program, as it is between the state of KY and UPS.
Evading the point?

I wasn't qualifying your post, responding to that assertion or validating a relationship btwn Ky and UPS in the realm of tuition.

I was talking about the letters sent to student's homes to seemingly pressure the parents to tell their child to vote Yes on the contract and.... I believe it had to do with the metro college which has something to do with the city of Louisville or why would DeWeese and stewards address it to the council?

Odd that you don't have much recollection about the letters that angered many but you "know" a lot about asphalt and concrete.

All good trolls stick together here, eh?

Last edited:

CharleyHustle

UPS offered people $1000. If it's not a big deal to ride 30 minutes or so on the shuttle to get to your work area they wouldn't have even bothered to offer money. But they did. To me they're blatantly admitting that it's a big enough issue worth addressing. Of course now they've even removed that, which I've said before is very disingenuous.

It seems to me that they promised more buses by April 1st, and maybe UPS considered the $1000 to be compensation for the 8 months till the new shuttles were up and running. Your local rejected that offer and UPS feels that to pay for an offer that you voted down is disingenuous.

10 point

It seems to me that they promised more buses by April 1st, and maybe UPS considered the $1000 to be compensation for the 8 months till the new shuttles were up and running. Your local rejected that offer and UPS feels that to pay for an offer that you voted down is disingenuous.
To be fair, the word "maybe" in your first sentence shows what length we'll all go to color their picture like we see it.
I'm guilty of that too at times because I've seen down there what they're saying but truthfully I don't have all the facts in front of me.

I just choose to support the hardworking hourly that I've seen busting their backs in huge hubs like that. They're the ones I relate to the best.

Maybe we can let them handle their own issues and like 407 said (sort of): at the end of it all we'll see what is fact.

I hope they get a great rider settlement and after that no one gets laid off to "even the score".

And we hope it gets done soon. :)

Ron Carey lives on

Thank God for local 89. They are standing up against the concessions, that the central states should have. As long as they hold out, we are showing hoffa-hall they are out of touch with ups teamsters. Hoffa-hall are done, they have awaken the sleeping giant. Ups temsters will send them packing in 2016

CharleyHustle

I hope they get a great rider settlement and after that no one gets laid off to "even the score".

Well yes. But I think "great" is a pipe dream at this point. Objectivity, is something you get slammed for, but here goes. Weather you voted for them or not (and everyone got the chance) they are "our" representatives. They negotiated and endorsed the agreements, and there was overwhelming support for the agreements at the two man and by local level officials.

It is undeniably easy to negotiate with yourself. Many people convince themselves of what they want and there can really be no other objection. However, at every negotiation there is someone sitting across the table with their own wants and desires. This is what I would call unrealistic expectations of what a union can actually do for you.

Here's an example. If you hate TDU you are an old guard thug, tearing down the union only for your own gain. If you hate Hoffa/Hall, you are a TDU radical out to fracture and destroy the Teamsters. Both arguments are valid and not valid at the same time.

Meanwhile, UPS sees you vote down offer after offer that your representatives endorsed. If you think that UPS isn't going to try to "even the score" after all this, well, you need to get out more.

10 point

Well yes. But I think "great" is a pipe dream at this point. Objectivity, is something you get slammed for, but here goes. Weather you voted for them or not (and everyone got the chance) they are "our" representatives. They negotiated and endorsed the agreements, and there was overwhelming support for the agreements at the two man and by local level officials.

It is undeniably easy to negotiate with yourself. Many people convince themselves of what they want and there can really be no other objection. However, at every negotiation there is someone sitting across the table with their own wants and desires. This is what I would call unrealistic expectations of what a union can actually do for you.

Here's an example. If you hate TDU you are an old guard thug, tearing down the union only for your own gain. If you hate Hoffa/Hall, you are a TDU radical out to fracture and destroy the Teamsters. Both arguments are valid and not valid at the same time.

Meanwhile, UPS sees you vote down offer after offer that your representatives endorsed. If you think that UPS isn't going to try to "even the score" after all this, well, you need to get out more.
Sure, I got it. Everyone should just vote yes every time the first round.
Great idea.

CharleyHustle

Sure, I got it. Everyone should just vote yes every time the first round.
Great idea.

No, I don't think you get it. I never told anyone how to vote. That is just the picture you want to see. Some want everything to be yes or no, right or wrong, black or white. Reality, says otherwise.

10 point

Your analogy using TDU/Hall/Hoffa wasn't objective but that's ok.

Not everyone, and we can say ALOT of people don't like their local leaders/ agents or Hoffa/hall way of negotiating. Nor do they like this TA and how it was handled. It is very obvious that statement is objective and is truthful.

Were just pawns and numbers anymore. The machine eats us for lunch. We have no brains or purpose so we should just vote yes because we're too stupid to understand the "higher things" our "leaders" control and manipulate.... in our best interest of course. Even if it's without explanation.

Sure. You never told us how to vote. After I read your post I realized that my leaders know what's best for me and I need to just swallow the pill.

My statement about hoping that they don't even the score was a warning shot of the inevitable with a hopeful twist. It wasn't supposed to be an ignorant thought as you perceived it to be.
I get it. And what I get is the members that were affected least negatively voted in first the National ( two large regions voted on our healthcare that won't be on TeamCare), then the Central and now the Ohio Rider.

Every last member in good standing has a right to stand up and vote his conscience. This is big business and it gets messy sometimes but this is America not the USSR so when the last rider or sup passes we can say that due process has been served.

Until then, L89 has a right to fight as do our coworkers in Pa and L710 et al.

10 point

Maybe part of the problem is the thought that there is no black or white, yes or no, truth or lie anymore.

That's why we are where we are today and our leaders like it that way since they drink with the company and dance to their music at the end of the day.

There has to be give and take in any relationship. This time we gave and they took.

Your analogy using TDU/Hall/Hoffa wasn't objective but that's ok.

Not everyone, and we can say ALOT of people don't like their local leaders/ agents or Hoffa/hall way of negotiating. Nor do they like this TA and how it was handled. It is very obvious that statement is objective and is truthful.

Were just pawns and numbers anymore. The machine eats us for lunch. We have no brains or purpose so we should just vote yes because we're too stupid to understand the "higher things" our "leaders" control and manipulate.... in our best interest of course. Even if it's without explanation.

Sure. You never told us how to vote. After I read your post I realized that my leaders know what's best for me and I need to just swallow the pill.

My statement about hoping that they don't even the score was a warning shot of the inevitable with a hopeful twist. It wasn't supposed to be an ignorant thought as you perceived it to be.
I get it. And what I get is the members that were affected least negatively voted in first the National ( two large regions voted on our healthcare that won't be on TeamCare), then the Central and now the Ohio Rider.

Every last member in good standing has a right to stand up and vote his conscience. This is big business and it gets messy sometimes but this is America not the USSR so when the last rider or sup passes we can say that due process has been served.

Until then, L89 has a right to fight as do our coworkers in Pa and L710 et al.
Are you a steward or business agent?

10 point

Are you a steward or business agent?
I'm an hourly. Why do you think that I care? I looked on the TeamCare provider list and not one of our family's doctors, dentists or eye doctors are in the plan as a provider.

Neither is the pharmacy we use and CVS makes us wait an hour every time we have to get a prescription filled. The others are 20 min or less.

Great deal for my family.

Last edited:

Stonefish

I'm an hourly. Why do you think that I care? I looked on the TeamCare provider list and not one of our family's doctors, dentists or eye doctors are in the plan as a provider.

Neither is the pharmacy we use and CVS makes us wait an hour every time we have to get a prescription filled. The others are 20 min or less.

Great deal for my family.
It's CVS Caremark and why are you going to CVS to get prescriptions filled now when you aren't in TeamCare yet. I call bull. You just like being negative

10 point

I'm an hourly.
Are you blaming Hoffa or Obama for that ?
It's a mixed bag. I didn't vote for either and there aren't many easy answers, I admit, but there are more issues than that, and we were buried from the start and they knew it.

There's not many absolute guarantees in life but by the reaction of many members to this whole deal I would have to say "disbelief" and "distrust" runs higher in the ranks today since last Aug 1. I don't think I'm alone in that belief. But we have to make the best of the hand we are dealt...
until next election(s).

10 point

It's CVS Caremark and why are you going to CVS to get prescriptions filled now when you aren't in TeamCare yet. I call bull. You just like being negative
No. No bull. Our prescription card is good anywhere....now. With $0.00 copay. The CVS drug store is the closest to me but takes an hour to get it filled. They tell you that everytime you drop an Rx off. "It'll be ready in an hour".
I don't care what you call it, caremark, whatever. It's still filled at a CVS store. Stop with the smoke. Its the truth and we wouldn't gripe if it was even close to the other stores wait time.
You just like lying about other people's issues to mask an issue.

10 point

FYI: Again, the Rx plan is not even close to what we had before in other ways on top of restriction of trade.

Stonefish, you are pretty far off the mark on this issue.

I've read the benefit package over and it's in black and white. You can't distort what's on the TeamCare site under the IBT's website.

Try this one here: "It's on the internet it must be true". Sound familiar?

Last edited: