CAN THEY DO THIS??

CD0314

I was hired as a seasonal driver, preload, and air on Saturdays. My understanding it that seasonal means November- January. I was told by a sup that I need to be on call through the summer for people who are taking vacations because that is their "second season" and if I refuse that I will have to give up my driving privileges as well. Can they do that? I don't want to lose my driving privileges because I have a lawn business and seasonal driving works perfect for that, but I can't be on call 6 days a week for them to not work me and me to not make money during lawn season either.

Indecisi0n

There is no such thing as "being on call". Some might do this because they want the extra cash for when a temp driving opportunity comes up but you are not required to do this.

Also note, if you are a seasonal hire then you are a temp .They can let you go for any reason they want.

There is no such thing as "being on call". Some might do this because they want the extra cash for when a temp driving opportunity comes up but you are not required to do this.

Also note, if you are a seasonal hire then you are a temp .They can let you go for any reason they want.
Exception air drivers are on call. Sounds like he was hired as a seasonal and then changed to PT preload, air qualified to work Saturdays. Sounds like his management team is being very creative with his classification.

Indecisi0n

Exception air drivers are on call. Sounds like he was hired as a seasonal and then changed to PT preload, air qualified to work Saturdays. Sounds like his management team is being very creative with his classification.
I don't know what local your in but I never heard of anyone being "on call" here.

CD0314

No I have seniority as preload, I have insurance that kicks in June 30th and everything. I just seasonally drive as well. I was originally hired as preload back in September and then instantly got asked to be a driver seasonally. I am on the driver schedule as "on call" but I work preload every morning and work every Saturday. I just didn't know if they really could revoke me being a seasonal driver Nov-Jan or revoke my air driving position on Saturdays if I said no to driving during the summer months.

CD0314

So would that mean that I'm not able to say no to being on call for vacations? I don't want to put my insurance an all that for my family at risk by saying no, but how can anyone be on call 6 days a week. It doesn't make sense to me.

No I have seniority as preload, I have insurance that kicks in June 30th and everything. I just seasonally drive as well. I was originally hired as preload back in September and then instantly got asked to be a driver seasonally. I am on the driver schedule as "on call" but I work preload every morning and work every Saturday. I just didn't know if they really could revoke me being a seasonal driver Nov-Jan or revoke my air driving position on Saturdays if I said no to driving during the summer months.
Are you being paid top driver rate for delivering ground packages? You should be if you are an air driver doing ground work.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
It doesn't make sense to me.

You just summed up UPS in 6 words. At my center there is no such thing as "on-call." If you're a FT driver who was laid off and sent back to preload then you're technically "on-call" to run a route after preload if there is an emergency but I've never heard of anyone calling in every day to see if they're needed only to be told no, call back tomorrow. Your supervisors sound like they are playing loose with your actual job classification.

So would that mean that I'm not able to say no to being on call for vacations? I don't want to put my insurance an all that for my family at risk by saying no, but how can anyone be on call 6 days a week. It doesn't make sense to me.
You need to talk to your Business Agent at the Union hall and find out what your classification is. Sounds to me like your are PT preload who is air qualified and volunteered to last Peak as a seasonal driver. You shouldn't be forced to work vacation season unless maybe you are the very bottom of the seniority list.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
it means they will ask you to fill in if someone is on vacation and they got nobody to do it. It is the same as if someone calls off and they call and ask you to work. They can call you but they cant force you to work and you dont have to answer your phone

542thruNthru

Where are you and what supplmental/local rider are you under.

Everywhere is different and no one will be able to give you the right answer till we know that information.

it means they will ask you to fill in if someone is on vacation and they got nobody to do it. It is the same as if someone calls off and they call and ask you to work. They can call you but they cant force you to work and you dont have to answer your phone
Happens all the time with air drivers. Both PT and 22.3. But at least you should be paid top rate. The OP is being used and abused by his management team.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Happens all the time with air drivers. Both PT and 22.3. But at least you should be paid top rate. The OP is being used and abused by his management team.
It does happen, but like i said he dont have to answer his phone or say i have prior plans. The big thing is not to get caught so they can ask, unless they are forcing him to call in everyday but thats a different thing