Can they fire you over production?

herbigharo32

Work at a pace which will enable you to finish your shift. Several things are kept in mind, length of sort, number of sorters (when on unload), and climate. Today it is likely the shift will be running 7 hours without a break while not having enough sorters. From the get go, this will not be a very high PPH day. Also, the irreg belt will be jammed or mostly shut down thus slowing the unload process. I was given a hard time about PPH several weeks ago only to point out the irreg belt was 100% and shut down; my conveyor belt was stopped because there were not enough sorters on the sort aisle. Only way you can be written up is intentional work action causing slow downs.

Actually, my PPH on unload will be a big fat zero because I will most likely get sent to sort aisle.... LOL

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Sorry sir, still doing it.
Well someone else will get paid for your time then. Ups has lots of money, doesnt need free labor. Its not just about you bud. Less driver jobs coz guys work for free. Not to mention you are stealing work from part timers, in their way, and against company, and union policy.

El Correcto

god is dead
You should start refusing to lift 70+ with out help. You should start making sure your egress is always clear on both sides of you. Honestly it's not your problem if that truck gets loaded or not. Not your problem if pph is down. Your problems are making sure you show up on time, being honest/ professional and work safely avoiding injuries. Let management figure out a way to fix their problems.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well someone else will get paid for your time then. Ups has lots of money, doesnt need free labor. Its not just about you bud. Less driver jobs coz guys work for free. Not to mention you are stealing work from part timers, in their way, and against company, and union policy.

All of this for what is most likely less than 10 minutes of working off the clock? Yeah, I don't think so.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tooner, I was joking but, in all seriousness, the OP has said that he does it as it makes him feel better about the quality of his loads. Should he be working off the clock? Of course not but it's not as though 10 minutes is going to make that much of a difference. Give the kid a few months and he will look back at this thread and laugh.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Tooner, I was joking but, in all seriousness, the OP has said that he does it as it makes him feel better about the quality of his loads. Should he be working off the clock? Of course not but it's not as though 10 minutes is going to make that much of a difference. Give the kid a few months and he will look back at this thread and laugh.
10 minutes adds up over a week, month , year. You're advocating someone working for free.

If they do that over the course of a career, that's thousands of dollars.

You yourself have probably given over a 100k back to ups in the course of your long career.

Still think it's funny?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
If ur starting 10 minutes early and they are still on you. That's all you need to realize. Your 10 minutes isn't factor into their paperwork. That's a bonus for them. I did it when I first started, then I realize they just find more work for u. Also what r u setting up that u have to work ten minutes early. If it's a belt ur supervisor are supposed to set that up or pay u. There is contract language about area set up in the contract. Also who loaded ur trucks when they sent u home. A lower seniority person can't load nor a supervisor if ur sent home.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
So if i trip walking through the ups parking lot while heading into the building for my shift and sprain an ankle....that's covered under comp? I've heard different.
The big difference between your scenario and what the OP is doing is what one is doing when the injury happened. You were reporting for work--covered. You were performing as directed. No supe that I know of would ever direct an hourly to work of the clock therefore not working as directed. It's that simple.

Drink Craft Beer

I get it, but i'm doing it for my benefit. It makes my day significantly easier.
What work as a loader are you doing before the shift starts??? Your trucks should be empty when you come in. The only thing you should need are totes for smalls and truck # hung up on back of trucks.

What work as a loader are you doing before the shift starts??? Your trucks should be empty when you come in. The only thing you should need are totes for smalls and truck # hung up on back of trucks.
Working as a preloader loading off a boxline? Some do come in early off the clock to sort their cages and load some of their cars to make the rest of the day easier. I don't agree with it, but some do it anyway.

wayfair

swollen member
Working as a preloader loading off a boxline? Some do come in early off the clock to sort their cages and load some of their cars to make the rest of the day easier. I don't agree with it, but some do it anyway.

only thing I did when preloading was maybe setting up my charts...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I get it when you are new. Don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with guys at the morning meeting dripping with sweat from pre-loading and not getting paid. Numbers I know all about numbers I used to be there. The production goes into the numbers but your production doesn't count and they like that instead of starting the pre-load at 3 so start the preloaded 3:15. Pretty soon the pieces per hour go up the trucks aren't wrapped and then the drivers are getting paid to load their own trucks and getting out of the building later but we don't code any of that out of the preload time it goes into our time. Drivers get paid to deliver whatever monstrosity is in their truck that day. I wish you could all get the ball games and soccer games been there done that missed a lot. All it does is cut jobs anyway you look at it and make people work harder because there are people who are working for free. I was told I can't file against another Teamster member well I'm not going to I'm not filing against the company because they need to get the drivers out of there trucks before their start time. It's not rocket science it's numbers and if you're not part of the solution then you are the problem

wayfair

swollen member
I get it when you are new. Don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with guys at the morning meeting dripping with sweat from pre-loading and not getting paid. Numbers I know all about numbers I used to be there. The production goes into the numbers but your production doesn't count and they like that instead of starting the pre-load at 3 so start the preloaded 3:15. Pretty soon the pieces per hour go up the trucks aren't wrapped and then the drivers are getting paid to load their own trucks and getting out of the building later but we don't code any of that out of the preload time it goes into our time. Drivers get paid to deliver whatever monstrosity is in their truck that day. I wish you could all get the ball games and soccer games been there done that missed a lot. All it does is cut jobs anyway you look at it and make people work harder because there are people who are working for free. I was told I can't file against another Teamster member well I'm not going to I'm not filing against the company because they need to get the drivers out of there trucks before their start time. It's not rocket science it's numbers and if you're not part of the solution then you are the problem
that makes sense.................