Can they really fire you over this?

PT Car Washer

I disagree. I think UPS has to document the reason why you were not kept before your 30 days just to protect themselves from accusations of discrimination. Besides with the huge turnover you would have to be pretty bad not to be kept. I have seen it happen though. The great benefits don't start until after a year and a lot of people find a better job in that time.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I wonder if that's a special tactic of the company. Lure the naive optimistic fools like me who have little to no work experience with promises of sweet benefits that will last a lifetime. Once you get lured in, they act all nice and friendly with you telling you you are doing a great job after work knowing it will encourage you to do very well. But in truth they only keep you for a short time period because before seniority you get payed the very minimal on their list and then once you get close to seniority you get booted so they don't have to pay more. I never was able to work a full week my entire time with UPS because they constantly had "low volume" and I constantly saw new people being toured throughout the facility. Two weeks ago I saw a previous employee come back for a paycheck. I don't understand, why hire all these new employees knowing that there isn't much volume for them to get a chance to really become seasoned workers? I know I don't have a lot of experience, but it just seems shady to me.
Once your in they cant really do jacksquat to you as long as you work as instructed and don't do any shady stuff to get yourself fired. You want to work everyday as a driver, get enough seniority in and learn routes and if they don't want to train you on anything, run a route in the blind or file a grievance. Lots of ways to work everyday you just have to figure out how the game works. Trust me a lot of the senior drivers will be more than happy to let you run their route 1 day a week so they can work 4 days instead of 5 especially the guys who are on the BACK 9 of their careers. Got to find the work if their going to play games with you dude.

Box Ox

But in truth they only keep you for a short time period because before seniority you get payed the very minimal on their list and then once you get close to seniority you get booted so they don't have to pay more.

Nah, the hiring process costs the company money and the difference it would recoup in the little seniority and annual pay bumps wouldn't be worth it. Best time for an employee to quit or be canned is probably right before the company starts making benefit payments to the union at the 1 year mark. That's the only thing that makes PT jobs worthwhile other than waiting on a FT slot.

PT Car Washer

Nah, the hiring process costs the company money and the difference it would recoup in the little seniority and annual pay bumps wouldn't be worth it. Best time for an employee to quit or be canned is probably right before the company starts making benefit payments to the union at the 1 year mark. That's the only thing that makes PT jobs worthwhile other than waiting on a FT slot.
I agree. the company gets off real cheap with new hires before the one year mark. Then PT gets free health care for himself and all dependents, plus two weeks paid vacation. Makes it all worth it then.

Nimnim

The Nim
You can be disciplined for not knowing the Dok despite the contract, if you don't fight it (fighting it is easy and keeps it from happening again because they know you know better) then it sticks. Keep failing it and continuing to not fight it and it can lead to termination. You can try to fight the termination, but it doesn't look good if you didn't fight it from the first step of discipline. This is unlikely but if you have hardass management and weak union it's possible.

Pre seniority, you're pretty much SoL. They don't really need to give much of a reason other than "you're not working out."

wayfair

swollen member
I have posted this, numerous times before.

This issue was decided at the National Level.... back in 2007.... with the company agreeing

it's not a conditional term, subject to discipline for inability to regurgitate it. End of story.

Lead Belly's Local....even has a grievance that was signed off on, from a Local hearing.

The stewards in my Local carry a picture of it on their phones. It's old news.

-Bug-

Do you have a link for that? maybe a copy?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You can be disciplined for not knowing the Dok despite the contract, if you don't fight it (fighting it is easy and keeps it from happening again because they know you know better) then it sticks.

That's one way to look at it.

Your Local should know better, than to let that happen.

Do you have a link for that?

There is nothing available to view online.

If your Local and BA are unaware of the "agreement" between the Union and the company,

the easiest thing to do.... is have your Local call the Union Chairman for the

National Health and Welfare committee. He's a good guy, and easy to get a hold of.

-Bug-

Inthegame

Nope---he was right.

Your pension and healthcare funds are referred to as Health and Welfare.
Nope---he was wrong, I was wrong and of course you're wrong. The correct title of the committee he referenced is the National UPS/IBT Safety and Health Committee. In my response I italicized "welfare" because I didn't remember any mention of that word in Art 18, and my memory was correct, but I inverted the title, hence my error.
Pension Funds are referred to as Pension Funds. Health Funds are referred to as Health and Welfare Funds.
Both are referenced as Trust Funds.
But thanks for chiming in, once again erroneously and with no purpose.
Your granddaughter is a beauty and most likely dreaming of my grandson.

EmraldArcher

:censored2:, new hires loading less then 200 PPH get to make seniority in my building, I can't imagine they would get fired for not knowing some useless trivia no one follows.

Morsi

Nope---he was wrong, I was wrong and of course you're wrong. The correct title of the committee he referenced is the National UPS/IBT Safety and Health Committee. In my response I italicized "welfare" because I didn't remember any mention of that word in Art 18, and my memory was correct, but I inverted the title, hence my error.
Pension Funds are referred to as Pension Funds. Health Funds are referred to as Health and Welfare Funds.
Both are referenced as Trust Funds.
But thanks for chiming in, once again erroneously and with no purpose.
Your granddaughter is a beauty and most likely dreaming of my grandson.

goddam meme.jpg

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
National Health and Welfare committee? I could be wrong but I believe you mean National Health and Safety committee.

We have a winner !

I had to even laugh at that brain fart.

My first thought, was someone edited my post.

But, I don't know what's funnier.... My typo....

Or, that you were the only one that questioned the proper "terminology". ;)

Nope---he was right.

Actually.... ITG was correct in assuming what I meant.

The Health and Safety committee, is a sub-committee at the National.

(For both negotiations, and grievances)

There are other sub-committee's;

One for Article 40 (air language) Article 43 Premium services (feeder work) etc.

Your pension and healthcare funds are referred to as Health and Welfare.

That part is right. (Health, Welfare, and Pension)

My typo.... or improper reference, was the problem.

Hey, I apreciate you "taking a swing" at the plate for me.

-Bug-

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I find it amazing they would let people go over it. If you are a good worker and you are just having trouble with DOK I'm not going to let you go. I'm working with you every single night until you get it. But maybe some places just get higher quality new hires than I do.
Hey tell me you didn't leave the BC! I like your content

Dr.Brownz

Lol no it's not. It's not even in the contract.

A trick I learned from an old timer: When the Keter Audit guy trys to stop you and ask questions say "Hold on I need to use the bathroom, I'll meet you in the breakroom" You then clock out and go home. LMAO they can't make you stay on the clock.