Can they take away my approved personal on Friday and make me work saturday due to Winter storm

onehandsolo

Long story short. They approved my personal holiday for Friday the 14th last week, but now they r telling me I may have to work not only Friday but Saturday also due to the weather. and valentines day packages. I am going out of town and will not be there either day.

Ouch

I mean they can tell you to be there 1000 times. If you go in or not is up to you. Call in, if you don't have an attendance problem what can they do, NOTHING. Why worry about it, you have days right?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
This is a basic union question.
As much as you'd like to, NEVER give to much information about why you are taking personal days off. They can deny you that day but can not say a word if you book off.

#1 rule of calling out - Don't lie and say you're sick, can bite you in the ass, Call and say "This is so-n-so and I'm booking off, I will call Monday morning and book back on" Then hang up the phone.

If you say you are sick and they know you are going away for the weekend, may lead to a target on your back in the near future.

Depends how far in advance. If approved then denied a week or so in advance that's one thing. The same week is another.
Either way reply to them at the same time that you will unable to be at work that day.

Packmule

Can we discuss this "forced Saturday" situation?
Once or twice in 31 years on road, our building was forced to work a Saturday just before Christmas. Seems we had to have been shutdown due to severe winter storms in order to have the hours available. I suppose they could do it for VDay too. Glad I took this week and Mothers Day week off! Don't need but one Christmas rush a year here!
Good luck to you!

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Here if you ask 10 days prior and they let you know you have the day then you are scheduled off. Ask inside of 10 days and they can deny it the morning of. Look to your supplement for the exact language that applies to you.

Article 40 is where they have the right to force Package for holiday work on Saturdays, but the last time this came up it was understood it was for peak season and specific holidays only (the ones in our Contract). They should be offering from the top and forcing from the bottom, and all air drivers & exception air drivers should be working first prior to anyone being forced. Valentines day is not a UPS holiday.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
This is a basic union question.
As much as you'd like to, NEVER give to much information about why you are taking personal days off. They can deny you that day but can not say a word if you book off.

#1 rule of calling out - Don't lie and say you're sick, can bite you in the ass, Call and say "This is so-n-so and I'm booking off, I will call Monday morning and book back on" Then hang up the phone.

If you say you are sick and they know you are going away for the weekend, may lead to a target on your back in the near future.
If we said "booking off" here nobody would know what that meant. We just call in "sick" without elaborating. If they try to pressure you to come in we just tell them to hang up. You could be sick at the time you called in, then feel better later and want to go to Vegas. They say gambling is a sickness too!

Long story short. They approved my personal holiday for Friday the 14th last week, but now they r telling me I may have to work not only Friday but Saturday also due to the weather. and valentines day packages. I am going out of town and will not be there either day.
You're a man right. How are they going to make a man come to work? I'd think if you are even half a man they can't.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
If you are denied, then call in sick. Say you're sick and leave it at that. If you have the days and occasions available, by all means, use them. Sick is a state of being, sometimes. The company has been around for 100+ years. Do you think it's going to crash without you? I guarantee, if you call in calm and direct you'll earn a small shard of respect for having the stones to put your family/personal life first. When you go back to work, clock in and kick butt.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you are denied, then call in sick. Say you're sick and leave it at that. If you have the days and occasions available, by all means, use them. Sick is a state of being, sometimes. The company has been around for 100+ years. Do you think it's going to crash without you? I guarantee, if you call in calm and direct you'll earn a small shard of respect for having the stones to put your family/personal life first. When you go back to work, clock in and kick butt.

What happens when they ask for a doctor's note?

I remember a few years ago calling in sick and feeling well enough in the afternoon to catch a movie. Of course, wouldn't you know that my on-car was doing an S&V ride on the mall driver and saw me standing in line to buy my ticket. He just looked at me, shook his head and walked away.

upschuck

I remember a few years ago calling in sick and feeling well enough in the afternoon to catch a movie. Of course, wouldn't you know that my on-car was doing an S&V ride on the mall driver and saw me standing in line to buy my ticket. He just looked at me, shook his head and walked away.
Key words said were "shook his head and walked away". I think you only need a doctors note if you miss three consecutive days, to have them count as one. Most times they will count them as one without the note.

Ouch

If you have days tell them to kiss your a!!. Why are we still discussing this. It is simple you either call in or you go to work. Nothing else matters. They will tell you all kind of crap to get you to come in to say oh you can go home we have enough drivers. Call in or go to work thats it. GEEEEZ

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Did they ask you to produce a dr note when you returned to work the day after?