Can UPS truck back into my driveway?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
In my town, there is one street with a very tight turn, nothing but a small car can make it.
So whenever any delivery company's vehicle tries to do it ( GPS says it can be done ) the call goes out over the airways that another UPS truck is stuck again.

Commercial Inside Release

Long ago, an older gentleman visiting the family across the street, backed down their driveway, across the street, up our driveway, and into my girlfriend's car. We were inside eating dinner, when we heard the crunch. While I struggled with disbelief at the whole situation, asking the devil "what the hell", and God "why me?" I called DPS. The DPS officer couldn't believe it. Neighborhood onlookers, couldn't believe it... Officer gives the old duffer a scolding, telling him he's at fault, in no uncertain terms. Guy gets out of squad car and comes at me with hostility, exclaiming "He (the officer,) wrote me a ticket!" I tell him to get the hell out of my driveway, and don't let me see you in it again.

A few days later, there's old guy across the street, calling me names, and complaining that his insurance rates went up!

Poor UPS driver above, probably going through a similar surreal experience.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I backup my UPS truck into my wife’s driveway every night. So yes.
I back my 53’ in my wife’s driveway. It’s a tight fit, but she’s a trooper. Slow and steady wins the race when you’re trying to squeeze such a large piece of equipment into a tiny spot. I tried going in the rear once, but it got stuck in the mud and it was a real pain in the ass to get out. 🤷🏼‍♂️

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I back my 53’ in my wife’s driveway. It’s a tight fit, but she’s a trooper. Slow and steady wins the race when you’re trying to squeeze such a large piece of equipment into a tiny spot. I tried going in the rear once, but it got stuck in the mud and it was a real pain in the ass to get out. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Hmmmmm…

PreTrippin’

Getting drunk and falling down
This is a piece of poetry. Very nice work.

Zowert

This is exactly why I would rather block the street than someone’s driveway. A lot of people don’t even look when they back out of their own driveway. I get a hard time from other motorists for it but what can I do? I’m either blocking the street or someone’s driveway. I didn’t design the single lane two way streets I have to work on.

L

Levisjeanbulge

It sucks that the driver parked like an ass but YOU backed into a non moving target. Unfortunately that’s on you. If the shoe was on the other foot and a UPS hit an object or car that was parked in a bad spot, that driver would be on the hook

L

Levisjeanbulge

I need your help please. I hope this is the right section for this type post.

One day as I was getting into my Tahoe, I saw the ups truck parked Up the street in front of the house catty-corner to mine. He was parked to the right out of my driveway and slightly up hill with front facing downhill.

I looked in both side mirrors and review then began backing out my driveway using my drivers side mirror to watch the edge of the driveway. I had clear site to the street.

There was a collision between the rear of my vehicle and the rear of the UPS truck about 20-25 feet from the end of my driveway.

I pulled forward a couple of feet, got out and yelled for the driver. He came out the side door - not drivers side- with a package. I said I just backed into you! He said I know, what do you want me to do about it? I said I want you to fix my truck. He said he needed to call his boss.
I said I’m not expecting a package. He said it’s for the house across the street.
I asked why didnt he park in their driveway? He said he couldn’t fit in it. (Other UPS drivers have and that driveway was empty)
My driveway is wider but not two lane wide.
He was backed in at a slight angle, front tires slightly turned down hill with drivers side of truck on the edge of concrete.
My Tahoe was along the opposite side and the UPS truck could not be seen in my drivers side mirror.
I took pictures of everything including the package addressed to neighbor across the street.
He called his supervisor who was very rude and a smart Alec when I spoke with him.
I told him what happened. He, :censored2: the supervisor said his drivers don’t park on the street so that didn’t happen. He said his drivers are required to park off the street even in driveways and it sounds like it was my fault. I told him I didn’t want the driver to get in trouble but even if I couldn’t prove the driver was backing in the same time I was backing out, the driver wasn’t even delivering to my house. He said oh he’s going to be in trouble.
He then said, so what you want is for us to not park in your driveway anymore? I said no! I want you to repair my bumper. He laughed and said he’s send so one out to take pictures later that day. His driver needed to get back in the road.
A young man, :censored2:, came out and ask me what happened. I told him and he took pictures of the driveways and the area. He said hardly anything.
:censored2: the supervisor called me “to inform me” if UPS finds any damage to our truck we will be filing a claim against you.
I was furious and told him go ahead. I thought no way was this going to be my fault.
Rather than go through a fight I finally chose to pay my own out of pocket but couldn’t right away because it was going to be about $1400. Next thing I know UPS has filed against my insurance for $300.
I talked with adjuster, gave my statement and they sent appraiser Which was within $100 of estimate I had.
My insurance deemed me at fault. The driver said he was already parked in my driveway and in the back getting the package for across the street. My female adjuster screamed at me and asked what if the driver had been behind his truck and I had hit him. She was very sympathetic to the UPS driver possibly being reprimanded.

Because of this $300 claim that I disagree with, my insurance premium has gone up $53 a month.
I can’t prove the driver was backing- the appraiser from the ins company said from the angle of the damage he had to be backing while I was but I can’t prove that and the driver says he was parked.
Does UPS instruct drivers to park where they want?
We’ve seen this driver park on the street throughout the neighborhood several times since.
Am I just out of luck here?
Thank you if You read this far.
:censored2:
If the driver parked wrong, He should be equally responsible.

Steamer

Thank you for your response.
Around 50 kids per week are backed over in the USA because people don't look when backing. You can Google that fact. It's a strange world. Some people are too worried about makeup, getting to work on time, or their cell phones to actually look while backing out of their own driveways. The driver will get into trouble because the driver is always at fault at UPS. The person that backed into them will basically get into trouble because it was their own fault. They will pay the fine of a deductible and higher insurance rates. Yippee! Everyone loses!

It's driver discretion whether or not to use a driveway. If we are heading in the same forward direction to the next stop it's not a good idea to back up into a driveway unless it's a busy road to get clear of. Most of our accidents are due to backing up 50-100 times a day even while looking for everything possible.

They track how many times a day we back, how many feet a day we back, and backing speed. On the daily safety report. The average person has no idea what UPS drivers deals with daily. Rude customers, people running stop signs or backing into us out of their own driveway, or management riding us for productivity. There is a plethora of things we deal with daily. Not just unloading and entire truck, walking miles, dealing with customers, weather, missing or misloaded packages we can't find, or dogs.

And don't forget customers that will blame us for everything and management that does the same.

Last edited:

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Why the hell did I read all that. As soon as I read the “I backed down the driveway into a parked ups truck and said fix my truck” I should have closed this.

Steamer

One day as I was getting into my Tahoe, I saw the ups truck parked Up the street in front of the house catty-corner to mine. He was parked to the right out of my driveway and slightly up hill with front facing downhill.

I looked in both side mirrors and review then began backing out my driveway using my drivers side mirror to watch the edge of the driveway. I had clear site to the street.

There was a collision between the rear of my vehicle and the rear of the UPS truck about 20-25 feet from the end of my driveway.

I pulled forward a couple of feet, got out and yelled for the driver. He came out the side door - not drivers side- with a package. I said I just backed into you! He said I know, what do you want me to do about it? I said I want you to fix my truck. He said he needed to call his boss.
I said I’m not expecting a package. He said it’s for the house across the street.
I asked why didnt he park in their driveway? He said he couldn’t fit in it. (Other UPS drivers have and that driveway was empty)
He was backed in at a slight angle, front tires slightly turned down hill with drivers side of truck on the edge of concrete.
My Tahoe was along the opposite side and the UPS truck could not be seen in my drivers side mirror.
I took pictures of everything including the package addressed to neighbor across the street.
He called his supervisor who was very rude and a smart Alec when I spoke with him.
I told him what happened. He, :censored2: the supervisor said his drivers don’t park on the street so that didn’t happen. He said his drivers are required to park off the street even in driveways and it sounds like it was my fault. I told him I didn’t want the driver to get in trouble but even if I couldn’t prove the driver was backing in the same time I was backing out, the driver wasn’t even delivering to my house. He said oh he’s going to be in trouble.
He then said, so what you want is for us to not park in your driveway anymore? I said no! I want you to repair my bumper. He laughed and said he’s send so one out to take pictures later that day. His driver needed to get back in the road.
A young man, :censored2:, came out and ask me what happened. I told him and he took pictures of the driveways and the area. He said hardly anything.
:censored2: the supervisor called me “to inform me” if UPS finds any damage to our truck we will be filing a claim against you.
I was furious and told him go ahead. I thought no way was this going to be my fault.
Rather than go through a fight I finally chose to pay my own out of pocket but couldn’t right away because it was going to be about $1400. Next thing I know UPS has filed against my insurance for $300.
I talked with adjuster, gave my statement and they sent appraiser Which was within $100 of estimate I had.
My insurance deemed me at fault. The driver said he was already parked in my driveway and in the back getting the package for across the street. My female adjuster screamed at me and asked what if the driver had been behind his truck and I had hit him. She was very sympathetic to the UPS driver possibly being reprimanded.

Because of this $300 claim that I disagree with, my insurance premium has gone up $53 a month.
I can’t prove the driver was backing- the appraiser from the ins company said from the angle of the damage he had to be backing while I was but I can’t prove that and the driver says he was parked.
We’ve seen this driver park on the street throughout the neighborhood several times since.
By the way. It takes time to go into the back of the truck to find a package after unhooking a seat belt, and opening the bulk head door and such. So he obviously wasn't backing up as you might want to assume to blame him. Sorry.

Dr.Brownz

Sounds like your adjustor is giving you a wake up call. You saw the truck and then backed out recklessly. You want to pretend that becasuse your couldnt see something in your mirror ( you claim) that you are not at fault. You obviously knew the truck was there. YOU COULD HAVE KILLED SOMEONE. You deserve to be yelled at, alot.