Can UPS video or photograph drivers on area without consent?

over9five

Staff member
If you're out in public, anyone can video you. If they video you in your shower, they might have a problem.

What are you doing that has you worried?

sosocal

the answer is YES- anyone (including your employer) can video or photograph you while in public - Think about it - between traffic cameras and security cameras they are everywhere. Your employer can video tape you on there premises in any area that is assumed to be a public area (locker or bathrooms are the only exception in a UPS facilility I can think of). And they can place cameras in their vehicles and equiptment without your knowledge as long as it is reasonable to think the vehicle or equipment is not used to change clothes, relieve oneself, or otherewise compromise the individuals bodily privacy -- the example used in my law text was a contruction company puting cameras all around the worksight and in their work equiptment with the exception of the porta potties.

Jigawatts

True, in some states recording an individuals voice without their consent falls under some wire tapping statues.

I guess you can record video all you want, as long as there's no audio.

Indecisi0n

Our new rearview camera's have a camera lens built into them. They said in the future they are going to use those camera's when a driver is in an accident to see what he was/wasn't doing at the time of the accident.

C

chuchu

Does anyone know if UPS can video or take pictures of the actual driver on route with that drivers consent?
When we catch them we call the law and report that someone in such a color (make/model of) car is stalking us and we give the location and where we are going next so they can pick them up. It makes you chuckle all day! "Expect the unexpected" Mr. Supervisor!:happy-very:

upser01

I was delivering in a small two level medical building the other day and all of a sudden out from the bushes came this rookie Stupervisor/ZipperButt. I had to laugh. What an idiot.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
the answer is YES- anyone (including your employer) can video or photograph you while in public - Think about it - between traffic cameras and security cameras they are everywhere. Your employer can video tape you on there premises in any area that is assumed to be a public area (locker or bathrooms are the only exception in a UPS facilility I can think of). And they can place cameras in their vehicles and equiptment without your knowledge as long as it is reasonable to think the vehicle or equipment is not used to change clothes, relieve oneself, or otherewise compromise the individuals bodily privacy -- the example used in my law text was a contruction company puting cameras all around the worksight and in their work equiptment with the exception of the porta potties.
I had to laugh............ one of our drivers told our OR that if 'UPS' puts a camera in her truck they were gonna see her peeing a dozen times a day. :surprised:

menotyou

bella amicizia
That stalker one was used here a few times. Very funny. I was pulling into Price chopper one day and recognized a truck sitting 'out of place at Applebees. At 9am, not many people park where he was and stay in the vehicle the whole time I was shopping. I saw the driver a few stores down and walked down to have a chat. Cover driver that 'the company' doesn't like. I pointed out the truck to him. About 2 hours later on the back side of the city where his resi's are, he saw the truck, again. Called his relative who was a city cop. He didn't see the truck after that. I hear a nice chat took place somewhere on his route. Nothing was ever said to him.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let's see--- you are an employee of UPS who is being paid to drive a UPS vehicle while wearing a UPS uniform--short answer--yes, you can be video taped and/or photographed while on area without your consent.