Can we talk about it now???

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Just wait until we get the plastic trucks. Then all they have to do is put it back up on it's wheels wash out whats left of the driver and put a new one in.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The package cars were the way that they were when I got hired, so when I chose to accept employment at UPS I went in to it knowing that a consequence of that choice was that I would wind up driving an unsafe vehicle.

Its the hypocricy I have a problem with. UPS has made it abundantly clear by its actions in regards to equipment, vehicles and time allowances that it has absolutely no concern whatsoever for the safety and health of its employees. I can accept that, but not when I am then constantly subjected to the asinine dog-and-pony show that is the typical "Safety Committee". Actions speak louder than words, so when it comes to safety UPS needs to just shut the fu&k up.

The driver in this accident was operating a vehicle from which even the most basic safety and ergonomic features had intentionally been deleted in order to save the company an insignifcant amount of money at time of purchase. What this driver needed... was a 3 point seat belt and a high-backed lumbar support seat. What he got....was a bunch of acronyms, commentaries, doughnuts, and other "Safety Committee" drivel.

bigblu 2 you

while i agree package cars have come a long way"mine has 3point seat belt,high back seat,automatic,power steering".24 of my 27 years i drove a p800 with a stool for a seat,steering wheel like a wagon wheel with no grease,lap belt,three foot step in and out,and the list goes on.still today i know if i get hit head on or flip this thing chances arent good i walk away unharmed.not to mention freight trucks of all companies and even the fed ex's have air-conditioning and better ventilation.most of us drivers"as bad as it is"have acclimated to heat and the nature of the job that is ups.i would guarantee if osha and some big ups officials had to spend a summer in a "tool shed on wheels"they would change a lot of things we find important.btw anyone ever burn there arm on a shelf?i am really shocked we dont hear of more heat exhaustion cases.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I talked to the tow truck driver who had to flip our UPS truck back on its wheels. He said the telephone pole did more damage to our driver than the car collision.

When the truck slid into the pole, it slammed the steering wheel and instrument panel down into his legs and pinned him. I've been in a few of these rust buckets and that area 1-2 feet in front of my body never looked too appealing.

The US Govt has cleared our trucks for road use, so too complain may be like throwing pebbles at the Pyramids.

Johney

while i agree package cars have come a long way"mine has 3point seat belt,high back seat,automatic,power steering".24 of my 27 years i drove a p800 with a stool for a seat,steering wheel like a wagon wheel with no grease,lap belt,three foot step in and out,and the list goes on.still today i know if i get hit head on or flip this thing chances arent good i walk away unharmed.not to mention freight trucks of all companies and even the fed ex's have air-conditioning and better ventilation.most of us drivers"as bad as it is"have acclimated to heat and the nature of the job that is ups.i would guarantee if osha and some big ups officials had to spend a summer in a "tool shed on wheels"they would change a lot of things we find important.btw anyone ever burn there arm on a shelf?i am really shocked we dont hear of more heat exhaustion cases.
Yes I have burned my arm on a shelf. Amazing isn't it almost enough to blister. I gotta tell you if any higher-ups or OSHA spent a week with us in mid August the most we would get out of them is"Boy you all really earn your money". I've always wondered why we don't see our CEO on that Secret Boss show as a helper one peak. I gotta believe they must have at least approached him about it. He could come on as my helper and I'd most likely not recognize him.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Yes I have burned my arm on a shelf. Amazing isn't it almost enough to blister. I gotta tell you if any higher-ups or OSHA spent a week with us in mid August the most we would get out of them is"Boy you all really earn your money". I've always wondered why we don't see our CEO on that Secret Boss show as a helper one peak. I gotta believe they must have at least approached him about it. He could come on as my helper and I'd most likely not recognize him.

I hope I would recognize him because I would make sure he limped home.

Is he our first CEO that never suited up as a driver ? That would explain most of the bs we have been dealing with !!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Is he our first CEO that never suited up as a driver ? That would explain most of the bs we have been dealing with !!

Your assumption here is that the CEO makes the decisions that are reflected at your level ... I position that this not the case.
I know that people need a figure to lash out at and so that is understandable.
The largest influence is from the changes that took place under Jim Kelley and Mike Eskew that resulted in the destruction of the UPS culture, especially the dissolution of the owner-management partnership.
A book needs to be written, not by UPS, on the changes that happened within UPS as the result of going public.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The largest influence is from the changes that took place under Jim Kelley and Mike Eskew that resulted in the destruction of the UPS culture, especially the dissolution of the owner-management partnership.
A book needs to be written, not by UPS, on the changes that happened within UPS as the result of going public.

Sounds like a job for Stephen King.

bigblu 2 you

Your assumption here is that the CEO makes the decisions that are reflected at your level ... I position that this not the case.
I know that people need a figure to lash out at and so that is understandable.
hoaxster,do you think a ceo that spends at the least 6 months{peak season included}as a driver would not influence some decisions?

Johney

hoaxster,do you think a ceo that spends at the least 6 months{peak season included}as a driver would not influence some decisions?
I think I have to agree with Hoax, I think if the CEO of UPS spent time on the road with a driver his only words would be "you guys/gals work hard for your money" He would not see the crappy loads,poor EDD dispatch,nor would he be made to go with said driver to help someone over dispatched. It just ain't gonna happen period. The way the business is being run now sucks for us little guys,but they are making money left & right so why change. Like I have been told "You don't like it? there's the door". Suck it up gang it isn't gonna get any better.