Can you lose your job over this.....

BUCN85

Why were you called a liar....what did management think you lied about?
Honestly I don't know. Looking back on the conversation we had I really can't think what they thought I was lying about lol. Well I did go in and was back on road again today. Glad it's over

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Lose your job? Nah. Just your dignity and self-respect when you have to listen to a handful of wanna-bes tell you how you should have done your job. When you step on your own root, you just gotta listen, nod and remember how your boss's wife winks at you when you see her at Lowes.

Your job is safe. You might lose a little skin. Learn from it. There's no room for heroes on our side. You know who the hourly heroes are? They're the ones who invite you for the weekend at their lake house. They're the ones that know that, without a doubt, all of their airs will be comfortably done by 10:30.

Work on getting yourself that lake home, bud. And hope the Bucs can be as worthy as that stadium.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I've vowed to stay out of the package car issues. But, hey, red wine is like driving with the seat belts off.

Seriously, listen to the guys...and gals(toonertoo, anyone?), who advise you to take things one step at a time. That means, slow down!

You don't have to drag ass. But know who and what you are working for. You are working for a ruthless corporation that cares NOTHING about you, and you are working for you and your family. Which side are you playing for?

This job has rules. Rules that are as stiff as a five inch piece of concrete. You can look at that as unfair, or you can look at it as something to be worked around. I recommend the latter.

I don't know your details, so I'll just assume you're a fairly new guy. Did I say don't be a hero? OK, I did.

Rules. Work safe. Make sure the job requirements are done. DONE. Pre-trip. Always do it.

If your truck dies because it ran out of oil, guess what? Part of your pre-trip. You can't say, "The guy before me never checked the oil." You can't say, "Oil, what is that?" And on this subject, trust me--ask anyone, ANYONE; when your broke down, and that mechanic is on his way, you better be damn sure you know what questions he's gonna be asking. Because he's gonna be asking questions you better have answers to. That is, at least his first set of questions. His second set of questions are going to be directed at someone that you're not sure who, exactly, who he is asking. That is ok.

Rules. Check your airs BEFORE you leave. I can't tell you how many people I've worked with, over the years, who discover out on route, that they're missing an red label or two. That is NOT the time to discover that. And, if you have any doubt, ANY DOUBT, that you might not be able to get those red labels(sorry, dating myself) off by 10:30, the time to tell your sup, is BEFORE you leave. Don't be shy. If my history is any indication, they usually act like they didn't hear you, or say, "do the best you can," or maybe, get some help. Point is, Cover your ass BEFORE you put the keys..FOB, in the ignition...do you guys put the FOB in the ignition?

This place is filled, some might say littered, with rules and methods on how to do the job. You are best fulfilled by doing and following those rules and methods. If you are like me, you aren't too good taking direction and guidelines from morons and pricks who couldn't count to ten even with ten good slaps to the backsides of their lopsided heads.

You will know, these aren't the best and the brightest. That is why they are in management.

But they do hold the keys. And since they do, you have to make some sense of their rules. Probably the biggest thing that helped me, was remembering that my job was servicing these people with names on the boxes. I know, it ain't always easy, but that's where the train is running, and you'll never stop it, so make it work for you. In a cruel way, this is where the rules benefit you.

Many times you'll want to help out a good customer, to the point where it might leave you hanging above a customer who isn't so good. This is where those pesky rules come in handy. The good customer might promise you something, to help them, that might also leave you hanging out to dry with the pain in the ass customers. Never fall in this trap. At the end of the day, their rates are all the same. Thing is, the bitchy customers are the ones who make the call. And you need to be sure you can cover that call. Always cover that call. Hey if you can do both, you're a champ, but make sure you're pink ass is covered.

What else? What else? Rules, rules, ten-point..oh yeah!! Take your meals and breaks. This falls right in line with following all of their rules. Lunches and breaks, without exceptions...TAKE THEM. You can search my name through these forums, you will find that probably half of them are fighting with other dipsticks who say they don't see the need working for money.

How many financial sites do you find that say things like, "401k fees, even if they are inflated slightly will cost you thousands and thousands of dollars over the years." OR, replacing incandescent light bulbs with LED or CFL bulbs can save you hundreds off your yearly light bill. Guess what? Skipping your lunch everyday, amounts to taking $25 out of your paycheck every single day. Ask your financial adviser if $25 for every workday a year makes a difference in the long haul. I'm betting it makes a difference in how soon you get that lake house...and how soon you can hand me a free beer.

It amazes me how stupid a union man or woman can be on such a simple thing as working through a lunch. I always try to weigh the excuses: Got to make my kid's game=got to buy--pay for--got to vacation with that kid at DisneyWorld...

Anyway, there are strings and strings and strings with people far more intelligent than me arguing the pluses...

And finally, and perhaps, most overlooked: safety.

Look. I've said it above and I'll say it right now. The safety BS you've been indoctrinated in....isn't BS. Yeah, the people who may have been hammering it into you might have been the putzes we've spoken of above. OK, not might have been...HAVE BEEN. At the end of the day...it doesn't matter. If they guy who farted in your air mask is the guy who tells you not to light a match above the gas tank....well, you get the message.

Safety works for him, because he doesn't have to deal with it, unless he has to deal with it. But safety matters to you, because YOU HAVE to deal with it. You will have no choice. Because you are on point. And everything you deal with might as well be safety. As far as you, and your job is concerned, it is all safety. Meaning, where your name hits the concrete, it's all your name.

OK, I've even confused myself.......What do I mean? I mean, when you are driving that package car, tractor, down the road, you might as well have your social security number written right on down the side of that beast. Because it's all you, baby.

Good thing it is UPS, because when you are out there, doing the business, it is all U. If you haven't figured that out by now...damn, I don't know what to say.

What am I saying? Hell, ask some around here, and I'm not saying much. But what I say is grab some experience, grab some toonertoo, grab some Bubblehead, grab some Brownslave688, grab some cachsux, and ask for some advice, because those peeps won't steer you wrong. That turtle always wins the race.

Sorry, Bubblehead, I know the stretching is doing you good, but that shell will only let you roll so fast.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Dracula was spot on. The way to survive UPS is to always cover you butt. Account for your air before you leave. If short, tell a supe. Let them know you need air help ASAP. If no help is available, inform a supe you may have late air. If you have told them that you may have late air, just run straight air. If you have a late air, call them ASAP. I have found that supes hate surprises so let them know of any problems. Stuck in traffic with air hanging? Call. Residential customer signs for a saver after 3:00 and you hit the wrong key? Call. The principle of CYA will save your butt every day.

clean hairy

They cant come after the feeder drivers for running out of fuel anymore.
But, how safe is it for a Feeder driver to be sitting on the side of the road due to Managments poor planning with these new trucks.
Another $ are more important than safety.

Geo926

Dracula was spot on. The way to survive UPS is to always cover you butt. Account for your air before you leave. If short, tell a supe. Let them know you need air help ASAP. If no help is available, inform a supe you may have late air. If you have told them that you may have late air, just run straight air. If you have a late air, call them ASAP. I have found that supes hate surprises so let them know of any problems. Stuck in traffic with air hanging? Call. Residential customer signs for a saver after 3:00 and you hit the wrong key? Call. The principle of CYA will save your butt every day.

Some routes in my center have heavy retail air that is ridiculously spread out. One guy I know will just ask our on car straight up "So which airs do you want me to deliver late?" Haha gotta love this place.

bowflex

I read up to page 4 so i will comment on what I have read. A lawyer will get your job back In a minute. Understand this. UPS tells us to do the impossible at times. I feel for people who have only worked UPS. I no longer work with you guys but trust me they are playing you guys. If you actually got terminated you could sue and win. A good lawyer would prove there was no way to run off those airs in time. I only worked with UPS for 2 years. I would love it as a part time job but that's not offered as a package car driver. They got mad when I turned down full time. Trust me don't worry about what the union can do if it came down to it a lawyer would get you paid.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I read up to page 4 so i will comment on what I have read. A lawyer will get your job back In a minute. Understand this. UPS tells us to do the impossible at times. I feel for people who have only worked UPS. I no longer work with you guys but trust me they are playing you guys. If you actually got terminated you could sue and win. A good lawyer would prove there was no way to run off those airs in time. I only worked with UPS for 2 years. I would love it as a part time job but that's not offered as a package car driver. They got mad when I turned down full time. Trust me don't worry about what the union can do if it came down to it a lawyer would get you paid.

The issue here is whether he ran straight air or tried to deliver ground along with air, which may or may not have led to the 40 late air. You can run straight air and they will forgive any lates but deliver just one ground and have lates and they may not be so forgiving.

bowflex

I agree that he may have combined airs with ground. The point is from what it sounds airs run straight still would not have worked. Can definitely be proven I'm court.

bowflex

I never had fear of losing my job I worked at one hub that really wanted to fire me but I sent am email to corporate and they never said a word to me after. As long as you do the possible the impossible can't be held against you. Show strength and you can't lose. As long as you made the right decision

bowflex

Dr brown. Reg temp package car driver for 2 years and 2 different hubs. One year 7 months the other 5. Work on the inside once but that was a high school gig.

bowflex

The voice of experience.
I worked nonstop both times. I know a lot of reg temp don't always work a lot until right around peak. 1 to 2 years experience with a job like UPS is like a lifetime. The job doesn't change much. Yes they added orion and the newer trucks may be a little different. But you deliver packages the same way everyday. It's not and easy job but isn't one that you need some sort or experience. I came in off the street at 44 yrs old and got back to the building just like everyone else. You couldn't put on a suit and become a lawyer or doctor like that Haha. I won't go into details buy I have seen and done a lot I have also heard stories from other drivers. The point of the OP was will he get fired. My new shortened response. No and if you do you have a legal case. Peace. Oh and be safe out there guys.