Cancer chemo?

quad decade guy

Hi, Anyone had recent experience with this? My wife had a recent double mast. and is scheduled for 16 rounds of chemo. She's been advised by the staff and all about side effects. Her schedule is every 3 weeks. Has been told to expect to be sick for at least 1 week. And will absolutely lose her hair. Also it varies for each individual. Your thoughts please?

DriverNerd

First of all...Damn, I'm sorry man. I don't know specifics as my grandma didn't share, but she went through the same thing. She was sick and weak for most of it. Just support her as best you can and try to have a helper for her so she can stay in bed when she's sick. She lost her hair as well, came back about 60%. Don't know if that part was normal, she was 65 I think when she went through it. She's 84 now.

JJinVA

Theres a few places in VA that offer proton-therapy. Its like radiation (well it is radiation) but its pin-point targeted instead of blasting the whole body and making ppl sick. Last I checked they had a 100% success rate. *shrug* Kinda hard to not at least be interested

quad decade guy

Theres a few places in VA that offer proton-therapy. Its like radiation (well it is radiation) but its pin-point targeted instead of blasting the whole body and making ppl sick. Last I checked they had a 100% success rate. *shrug* Kinda hard to not at least be interested
Well, my Wife's cancer is the kind that has to have chemo because of some enzyme(I think). Otherwise I think radiation could have been used. I've heard of the pinpoint rad. but it's not to be. Thanks though.

quad decade guy

First of all...Damn, I'm sorry man. I don't know specifics as my grandma didn't share, but she went through the same thing. She was sick and weak for most of it. Just support her as best you can and try to have a helper for her so she can stay in bed when she's sick. She lost her hair as well, came back about 60%. Don't know if that part was normal, she was 65 I think when she went through it. She's 84 now.
Thanks. I have FMLA all set up. Yeah the chance is there that her hair won't come back like it used to be....she's 58. I pray that isn't the case for her. Her prognosis is good. And solid. The Doc said-technically she doesn't have cancer as it was surgically removed and her lymph nodes are clear. The chemo is to kill anything floating around in there. I appreciate it.

rod

Retired 22 years
First of all let me say we all care and are thinking of you and your wife. Cancer is a M/friend. I've had friends whos chemo has been a terrible experience and friends who didn't have much problem with it at all. All I can say is the best of luck and be there for her. Attitude goes a long way.

DriverNerd

The Doc said-technically she doesn't have cancer as it was surgically removed and her lymph nodes are clear. The chemo is to kill anything floating around in there. I appreciate it.
That's true, buy I'm sure you know this is a requirement to get cancer free. Any remaining could spread.

quad decade guy

First of all let me say we all care and are thinking of you and your wife. Cancer is a M/friend. I've had friends whos chemo has been a terrible experience and friends who didn't have much problem with it at all. All I can say is the best of luck and be there for her. Attitude goes a long way.
Thanks Bro. I(we) really appreciate it.

quad decade guy

An update. Had her first treatment. Took about 3 days for any side effects. I would say they are "manageable" with fatigue being the worst. It's hard to believe there will be 45 more weeks of this...

Indecisi0n

Thanks. I have FMLA all set up. Yeah the chance is there that her hair won't come back like it used to be....she's 58. I pray that isn't the case for her. Her prognosis is good. And solid. The Doc said-technically she doesn't have cancer as it was surgically removed and her lymph nodes are clear. The chemo is to kill anything floating around in there. I appreciate it.
Hair would be last on my list of concerns.

DriverNerd

An update. Had her first treatment. Took about 3 days for any side effects. I would say they are "manageable" with fatigue being the worst. It's hard to believe there will be 45 more weeks of this...
That's both awesome and awful at the same time. My grandma was so sick, I'm so glad to see you said "manageable". That's not good of course, but I'm happy she's making it ok.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Hi, Anyone had recent experience with this? My wife had a recent double mast. and is scheduled for 16 rounds of chemo. She's been advised by the staff and all about side effects. Her schedule is every 3 weeks. Has been told to expect to be sick for at least 1 week. And will absolutely lose her hair. Also it varies for each individual. Your thoughts please?
I dealt with uterine cancer a few years ago. The drs got it, hang in there. I was super stressed out. Your wife has a great chance to beat her cancer. You have my support. My mom had breast cancer when she was in her 50's and is still alive in her mid 80's.

floridays

My best to your wife.
You do, but I'm gonna say it...... Love the Girl.
Best to you both, Let her see the, "I do" and "I will." Strength to you quad :thumbup1:.
Girls are tougher than us but they need more lovin.
Best :thumbup1:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I realize this is going to sound like pop-medicine, but you may want to look into fasting leading up to treatments. At least talk it over with her oncologist. There have been studies that indicate fasting helps with both the efficacy of the chemo and the side effects.

quad decade guy

I dealt with uterine cancer a few years ago. The drs got it, hang in there. I was super stressed out. Your wife has a great chance to beat her cancer. You have my support. My mom had breast cancer when she was in her 50's and is still alive in her mid 80's.
Thanks for the kind words. So far, she seems to be tired mostly and just little things. We have tried to keep our "regular" routine. So far, more or less. She works a little but the whole Covid thing just makes everything weird and doubly difficult. Canceling Thanksgiving and Christmas is just bizarre.

quad decade guy

I realize this is going to sound like pop-medicine, but you may want to look into fasting leading up to treatments. At least talk it over with her oncologist. There have been studies that indicate fasting helps with both the efficacy of the chemo and the side effects.
Will explore this idea. Thanks!

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My wife is an 18 year survivor of breast cancer and double mastectomy with reconstruction. She went through both chemo and radiation as some lymph nodes were compromised. She bought a wig to cover her hair loss but only wore it a couple times. Looked at the bald head as kind of a badge of honor for fighting so hard. Hair eventually grew back as normal. Good luck. They have come a long way treating this horrible disease.

quad decade guy

Thanks. Way to go for your wife! She lost her hair this week. Her spirits are good. It seems that Fridays are her weird/bad days. Seems that those steroid shots really make her jumpy and really out of character for her. The DOC prescribed some pills to even that out but then other side effects popped up. On a better note, it seems manageable. 3 bad days out of the 21 day cycle, we can get through.