Car and Bike Talk

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Screenshot_20200905-102627_Chrome.jpg

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Seems half the Buells I see for sale on FB are "Blast!"s. Cheap. Might consider one for a commuter beater.
I road a Buell Blast traded it in for a HD Low Rider and regretted not buying a M2 Cyclone.
HD biggest mistake was letting Richard Teerlink retire as CEO and Chairman of the Board.
The guy that replaced him, Blustien was an engineer, beginning of the end of HD.

quad decade guy

Took a while but I think axing Buell is finally coming back around to bite them in the ass.
Those would have been out selling Harleys 10 to one now days. Getting rid of Buell was the friend--up of all time for Harley.

Ok. Fair enough. However, reality proved both of you wrong. Harley's customer(whatever/whoever) that is DIDN'T buy Buell's. Now you and I might appreciate what a Buell is or could do but take the 1200r orange "performance" bike. Looked like the famed flat track bikes and is what a Sportster should be. Nobody bought it. Just like Buell's. You know the rest of the story. A Harley is a Harley....otherwise buy a Honda or some such. And that's what people do. Can Harley keep afloat with 100 year old technology? Probably not. Price is what hurts Harley. I'm talking the $20k plus price point. I could buy a new Harley. I won't. I can buy the same basic used big twin for around $5k(Fatboys, older Road Kings etc.). Think about it, a younger person paying $20-$30k for a 60 h.p. 700lb vibrating tub of lard? Nope.

clean hairy

Ok. Fair enough. However, reality proved both of you wrong. Harley's customer(whatever/whoever) that is DIDN'T buy Buell's. Now you and I might appreciate what a Buell is or could do but take the 1200r orange "performance" bike. Looked like the famed flat track bikes and is what a Sportster should be. Nobody bought it. Just like Buell's. You know the rest of the story. A Harley is a Harley....otherwise buy a Honda or some such. And that's what people do. Can Harley keep afloat with 100 year old technology? Probably not. Price is what hurts Harley. I'm talking the $20k plus price point. I could buy a new Harley. I won't. I can buy the same basic used big twin for around $5k(Fatboys, older Road Kings etc.). Think about it, a younger person paying $20-$30k for a 60 h.p. 700lb vibrating tub of lard? Nope.
I noticed you mentioned fat boys.
Were you referring to feeder drivers or motorcycles?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Dude, stop. No, Harley's target demographic that they banked on entirely too hard didn't buy Buells. But that demographic that they banked on is aging out of the market and Buell's would-be customers are buying Japanese and European bikes instead.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I road a Buell Blast traded it in for a HD Low Rider and regretted not buying a M2 Cyclone.
HD biggest mistake was letting Richard Teerlink retire as CEO and Chairman of the Board.
The guy that replaced him, Blustien was an engineer, beginning of the end of HD.
I test rode an M2 Cylone once. With the stock exhaust it sounded like a lawn tractor. Lots of torque.

quad decade guy

Dude, stop. No, Harley's target demographic that they banked on entirely too hard didn't buy Buells. But that demographic that they banked on is aging out of the market and Buell's would-be customers are buying Japanese and European bikes instead.

Got it. But, you are assuming the "potential would be Buell buyers" would be just that. In other words, would they have even considered a Harley. I say no to begin with. The trick to Harleys survival is whatever they come up with going forward it can't be $30k.

See, Harley doesn't sell side by sides and generators to spread the losses over. Your'e right in that once the old guys like me are gone...who is left? At $30k the Livewire is pure folly.