Car and Bike Talk

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The trouble is now they have tried to turn all pickups into luxury vehicles. I have my preferences, but I don't knock others. They are all equally bad.

rod

Retired 22 years
The trouble is now they have tried to turn all pickups into luxury vehicles. I have my preferences, but I don't knock others. They are all equally bad.

So far the only thing I don't like on my new truck is the factory remote starter. It's JUNK. You damn near have to be in sight of the vehicle- outside and within about 200 feet. I'm used to my old truck that I had an after market remote starter put on it that was good for up to 3000 feet. I could sit in any bar in town and start my truck 6 blocks away. It was also good for landing at the airport. I could hit the remote start as soon as we touched down and by the time we taxied and got our luggage the truck was warmed up.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

I don't know. The 2016 friend-350, Super Duty, Power Stroke, King Ranch I took to auction Monday was pretty damned sweet.

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't know. The 2016 friend-350, Super Duty, Power Stroke, King Ranch I took to auction Monday was pretty damned sweet.

What do they get for one of those at a car auction? I would be afraid to buy something used that little. Why would someone want to get rid of it. It must have been a lemon.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
What do they get for one of those at a car auction? I would be afraid to buy something used that little. Why would someone want to get rid of it. It must have been a lemon.

Manheim, dealer only, auctions.

I actually drove this truck home in December. Only had 10k miles on it when I got out of it. I think it was driven by an owner or a general manager of a Ford store for a while, and then sent to auction.

My company apparently bought it thinking they already had a buyer. The buyer apparently decided to buy a 2017, and after the truck sat on the lot for a month, my auto group decided to dump at another Manheim auction.

It was listed, retail, at 60k when I took it off the lot Monday. The freaking thing didn't even have a scratch in the bed, and was prepared for a fifth wheel. 440hp, 900ft/lbs of torque, and I got 18mpg on the highway empty.

Coulda been your perfect toy hauler.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
Manheim, dealer only, auctions.

I actually drove this truck home in December. Only had 10k miles on it when I got out of it. I think it was driven by an owner or a general manager of a Ford store for a while, and then sent to auction.

My company apparently bought it thinking they already had a buyer. The buyer apparently decided to buy a 2017, and after the truck sat on the lot for a month, my auto group decided to dump at another Manheim auction.

It was listed, retail, at 60k when I took it off the lot Monday. The freaking thing didn't even have a scratch in the bed, and was prepared for a fifth wheel. 440hp, 900ft/lbs of torque, and I got 18mpg on the highway empty.

Coulda been your perfect toy hauler.

I'm happy with my 2016 Chevy 2500 Heavy Duty double cab. I know the auto auctions are for dealers only. They just built a big auction lot about 2 miles from me. There I also a place close by where a lot of the VW recalled diesel cars with the inflated mileage computers are being stored while waiting to see if VW is going to scrap them. There must be 3,000 VW's on that lot. I don't know what the guy gets to store them but I'm sure hes getting rich. They have been there since last fall. Rows and rows and rows of them.

rod

Retired 22 years

We used to have a Ural dealer (Russian MC) around here. I still see one every once in awhile. One guy drove his year around for 3 or 4 years-- Aaparently they can be a pretty tough bike.