caravan

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
If Dems are smart, they’ll turn over districting to computers and let demographics do the rest.
That is what got the Repugs in trouble.
Goofy looking districts don't pass the smell test and is where the name gerrymander comes from.
The original gerrymander, and original 1812 gerrymander cartoon, depict the Essex South state senatorial district for the legislature of The Commonwealth of Massachusetts put in place by the Massachusetts Governor Gerry.
Gerrymander is a portmanteau of the governor's last name and the word salamander.

250px-The_Gerry-Mander_Edit.png

It will be fine

Why is Gerrymandering legal?
538 did a podcast series about it. It’s worth a listen if you’re interested. There are many problems that arise when trying to fix it. The voting rights act causes some problems that basically mandate it. That’s why I think we should turn it over to some algorithms, but as witnessed by the Zuckerberg senate hearings, our officials are basically Luddites.

It's a weird dynamic going on here for decades. White flight to the burbs to avoid 'crime'.

Truth is they're just dodging taxes, even though they drive into the city to work every day. Eventually the financial requirements of a dense population catches up to them, and their municipality starts raising taxes.

Then they move further out, rinse and repeat. Just a bunch of delusional tax dodgers.
Dodging which taxes? I only live where
I can afford to. With quality of life first priority. Saving .1% has never been a consideration.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
538 did a podcast series about it. It’s worth a listen if you’re interested. There are many problems that arise when trying to fix it. The voting rights act causes some problems that basically mandate it. That’s why I think we should turn it over to some algorithms, but as witnessed by the Zuckerberg senate hearings, our officials are basically Luddites.
Computer algorithms do what the person that programmed desired and hopefully intended.
In most cases, computers only do things faster and not as good as a person.
Check out the posts and threads on ORION.

It will be fine

Computer algorithms do what the person that programmed desired and hopefully intended.
In most cases, computers only do things faster and not as good as a person.
Check out the posts and threads on ORION.
The latest lawsuits set up a pretty decent standard of wasted votes with the efficiency gap metric. You could set an algorithm to limit that and it would probably be a good start to maintain a more representative government. It’s a start and there’d still be problems, but it would limit the blatant disenfranchisement the current system encourages.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
The latest lawsuits set up a pretty decent standard of wasted votes with the efficiency gap metric. You could set an algorithm to limit that and it would probably be a good start to maintain a more representative government. It’s a start and there’d still be problems, but it would limit the blatant disenfranchisement the current system encourages.
I really don't buy that because slimy politicians will be involved.
Political parties will develop their own inputs to produce a desired output.

BrownArmy

I'm not sure we need a computer to figure out voting districts.

I don't get it, when a certain state is Gerrymandered to the point where one party can win even though they have less actual votes, that seems undemocratic to me.

What am I missing?

It will be fine

I really don't buy that because slimy politicians will be involved.
Political parties will develop their own inputs to produce a desired output.
Make the code transparent so data nerds can show when a party is cooking the books in their own favor. It may not matter but it’d be in the open instead of hidden like it is now. Now they use algorithims to suppress votes and consolidate power and it’s all hidden from the public. Open it up, sunshine as a disinfectant yadda yadda.

It will be fine

I'm not sure we need a computer to figure out voting districts.

I don't get it, when a certain state is Gerrymandered to the point where one party can win even though they have less actual votes, that seems undemocratic to me.

What am I missing?
Framers intended it to be a legislative issue. Vote them out if they cheat, it doesn’t really work in practice, especially with the data we have available now. That and we haven’t increased the number of members in the house in a long time.

BrownArmy

What's the issue if we just divide districts up by a grid, everyone votes, and we just add up all the votes?

Sorry to sound so dense, I just don't understand the issue.

I understand the part of the issue where 'Gerrymandering' has disenfranchised voters, but it's not clear to me why we're where we are.

It's 2018, if I go to an ATM, I get my cash out, the odds of a mistake are negligible.

It's 2018, why can't voting be like an ATM?

We have the technology, what's the issue?

How hard is it to tabulate votes?

Again, what am I missing?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Make the code transparent so data nerds can show when a party is cooking the books in their own favor. It may not matter but it’d be in the open instead of hidden like it is now. Now they use algorithims to suppress votes and consolidate power and it’s all hidden from the public. Open it up, sunshine as a disinfectant yadda yadda.
I like the idea.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
What's the issue if we just divide districts up by a grid, everyone votes, and we just add up all the votes?

Sorry to sound so dense, I just don't understand the issue.

I understand the part of the issue where 'Gerrymandering' has disenfranchised voters, but it's not clear to me why we're where we are.

It's 2018, if I go to an ATM, I get my cash out, the odds of a mistake are negligible.

It's 2018, why can't voting be like an ATM?

We have the technology, what's the issue?

How hard is it to tabulate votes?

Again, what am I missing?
It's complicated!

Last edited: