Cardinal sins

TheFigurehead

A lot of the younger generation lacks work ethic period.

Sometimes, yes... but often, those new hires who quit are simply doing the math. If you are just looking for a paycheck, being a package handler is a terrible choice. If you need the insurance, or want to make a career of it, and go driving, or are there for the tuition reimbursement... it can make sense. Otherwise, working 18 hours a week for just over minimum wage, especially doing heavy labor, vs stocking shelves at Target, etc... for 20 - 30 hours a week at $12 doesn't make alot of sense. There is no honor in working harder than necessary, for less money than necessary. It doesn't make you a hero, it makes you a sucker.

The ones that stick around the hub are those that are there for something other than the paycheck. Sure 15 - 20 years ago it was hard work for fair pay. It's not 1990 anymore, however.

PT Car Washer

Sometimes, yes... but often, those new hires who quit are simply doing the math. If you are just looking for a paycheck, being a package handler is a terrible choice. If you need the insurance, or want to make a career of it, and go driving, or are there for the tuition reimbursement... it can make sense. Otherwise, working 18 hours a week for just over minimum wage, especially doing heavy labor, vs stocking shelves at Target, etc... for 20 - 30 hours a week at $12 doesn't make alot of sense. There is no honor in working harder than necessary, for less money than necessary. It doesn't make you a hero, it makes you a sucker.

The ones that stick around the hub are those that are there for something other than the paycheck. Sure 15 - 20 years ago it was hard work for fair pay. It's not 1990 anymore, however.
Or 1977 when PT preloaders were paid $.50hr less then drivers after 30 days.

tbird2000

Working Class
Well, since the initial post, the new gateway manager has tried to terminate 4 UPSers. My pal got his ID back and was paid for his missed time. His issue was that he was instructed to work on an airplane which he was not certified on and expressed his concerns for his own safety due to lack of experience. A 26yr UPSer had his ID deactivated after calling out sick 3 days and was told he was terminated, had his hearing and will be back Monday, again, paid for the missed time. A 16yr veteran was walked off property after she was told to report to a different work area and she informed her pt sup that she needed to go to her car and get some work gear, when the manager caught wind of it she had her ID pulled and was told she was terminated for stealing time. Her hearing is Monday. We've chalked this up to simply a new manager looking to make examples of folks while putting their own stamp on the operation. I'm sure said manager will feel some heat from corporate for all of the free money that they are paying out as well as the grievances piling up. Our first statement to corporate will hopefully be noticed after our building reports their United Way participation, we're shooting for 0%, maybe this will raise a few eyebrows....I guess we'll see. Have a safe day brothers and sisters!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
United Way

The spokespeople (PR) hired by UPS during the PCM last month were from a school, which I know personally, and their CFO is in jail for embezzlement.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinio.../ex_cfo_pleads_guilty_to_embezzlement_charges

The cynic in me wanted to speak up at the PCM and kindly ask to donate their time and money outside of these crooked people.

By the way, some workers at this school work eight hours with no breaks and deal with psychotic children. Despite tough Massachusetts labor law.

They are a very crooked non-profit and should be exposed.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
United Way

The spokespeople (PR) hired by UPS during the PCM last month were from a school, which I know personally, and their CFO is in jail for embezzlement.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinio.../ex_cfo_pleads_guilty_to_embezzlement_charges

The cynic in me wanted to speak up at the PCM and kindly ask to donate their time and money outside of these crooked people.

By the way, some workers at this school work eight hours with no breaks and deal with psychotic children. Despite tough Massachusetts labor law.

They are a very crooked non-profit and should be exposed.

This is why I don't donate to corporate charities. I've got a funny feeling about charity CEOs driving BMWs and living in $500k McMansions.