Cash for Clunkers...

brett636

I do NOT support Corp Welfare under normal circumstances . But my blind faith in an unregulated free mrkt atmostphere is not my idea of piloting solo the direction of the country. (analogy)The free market needs a Co-Pilot, a safety net, a check and balancer, in case the lead Independent Pilot has a heart attack. And thats exactly what happen to our aircraft. The co-pilot needed to take over temperarily to land the aircraft safetly at all cost and aviod catastrophy. What's wrong with insuring the next independent lead pilot stays healthy, limits smoking, drinking and fatty foods to aviod another hiccup later on.

Atleast you admit that you support corporate welfare as long as its a democrat doling out the money. I guess I can have a clear conscience in knowing I don't support it no matter which party controls the government.

The problem with your analogy is the co-pilot has overshot the runway thinking he can successfully cover more ground when he doesn't have enough fuel to make it to the next runway. A crash is imminent.

Oh please, cry me a river.....so these Dealerships have to worker a little harder because this Gov't program packed consumers in their showroom....Consider it their peek season.....

69 pages of paperwork to trade in a freakin car is ridiculous. That certainly isn't what anyone with half a brain would call efficient. I hate to see how much paperwork will be required if we get Obamacare when someone needs a life saving surgery. They will probably die before the doctors can get all the paperwork figured out.

brett636

‘Clunkers’ Program Has Repaid 17% of Dealer Filings (Update2)

By Angela Greiling Keane and Keith Naughton
Sept. 3 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. “cash for clunkers” vehicle trade-in program has repaid 17 percent of dealer rebate applications nine days after the filing deadline, and is hiring more workers to process the paperwork, an official said today.
The program, which has come under criticism from retailers for what they say is slow reimbursement, has approved 120,000 filings from the almost 700,000 sales generated. The $3 billion effort has paid about $500 million, said the Transportation Department official, who declined to be identified.
That pace is accelerating, and by the end of next week the government expects to be approving about $100 million a day, the official said. Even as the initiative spurred the first monthly gain in U.S. auto sales since 2007, led by Ford Motor Co., Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co., dealers have said they’re being squeezed as they await repayment.
“When you’ve got all your working capital strung out to the federal government, that’s a problem, a real problem,” Charlie Howard, staff counsel of the Ohio Automobile Dealers Association, said in an interview yesterday. “The program brought a lot of people into the showroom, but we’ve got bills to pay, too.”
The Transportation Department intends to repay all eligible dealer submissions by Sept. 30, said the official.
The agency plans to increase the workforce for the program to 5,000 employees by the end of next week from about 3,000 now, the official told reporters. Most of the new employees will be contract workers, the official said. Citigroup Inc. has a $7.7 million contract to handle the paperwork, the agency has said.
Covering Loans
Dealers who borrowed money to buy the cars they sold through clunkers need the government to reimburse them to cover those loans, Howard said. Some are having difficulty meeting their payroll as they await their clunkers cash, he said.
The government’s rate of reimbursement to car dealers for the clunkers program “is absolutely horrible,” Howard said. “The program was fantastic in stimulating the economy and moving the metal. But the back side is the dark side of this program. It’s been a disaster.
The National Automobile Dealers Association, based in McLean, Virginia, found in an Aug. 27 survey of its members that 5.7 percent of clunkers deals had been reimbursed.
The retailers have complained about the application rejection rate, which the Transportation Department official said is declining.
The government has seen examples of multiple resubmissions, some of them clerical errors such as transposed VIN numbers, the official said.
Ford, Toyota and Honda all reported more August deliveries than a year earlier, while General Motors Co., Chrysler Group LLC and Nissan Motor Co. fell. The industry total rose 1 percent from August 2008 to 1.26 million, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Everything I had stated earlier has come true. The program is being defined a "disaster", and both GM and Chrysler did not see the gains their private competition has seen. Gee its great when the government gets involved. :thumbdown

moreluck

golden ticket member
The only POSITIVE result of
"Cash for Clunkers":

is

It has taken 95% of the
Obama bumper stickers
off the road...

moreluck

golden ticket member
It was sent to me big & bright......you know me, just cut & paste.

Maybe I should've posted about the couple who turned in their gas guzzler thinking it would get destroyed only to find out the dealership had their old car for sale as a used car. That's not how it's suppose to go.:sad-little:

brett636

As I predicted car sales have all but halted after this massive failure of a program has ended. It simply isn't feasible for the government to offer this kind of incentive forever, and now September may be the worst month of the year for car sales when its normally a good month.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,553823,00.html
http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2009/09/19/car_showrooms_quiet_after_clunkers_clamor_ends/

As it seems all those tax dollars spent was all for not. Those auto workers put back to work will on layoff just in time for the Christmas holiday. Thank god the government stepped in the way it did. :rolleyes:

wkmac

The original analysis I posted was done by edmunds.com, and now the white house sees fit to attack edmunds.com for making such an analysis.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2009...-edmundscom-gets-it-wrong-again-cash-clunkers

Edmunds responds:

http://www.edmunds.com/help/about/press/159486/article.html

Here's another example of the economic explosion that the Obama Stimulus plan has done for the greater economy.

I can see a whole industry of ski boat/bass boat inspectors exploding on a global scale. Need to call my stock broker for sure.

brett636

I thought it would be important to dig up this thread for one very good reason. I predicted that as a result of cash for clunkers used car values would rise as the supply was stifled due to this horrendous program. Case in point my truck. I own a 2000 F150 XLT 4x4 that I use for getting around in bad weather, general hauling, etc. I've owned it for the last 6 years and I check its used value from time to time. Last time I checked it was over a year ago and it came up about $8400. Today I just checked it and the value has risen to $9500. Now I am not one to complain about this rise in value of an asset that I own, but I do recognize that my truck isn't the only one that has gone up in value. If I were to try to replace it with a newer truck my guess those values also remain artificially high due to cash for clunkers. I realize the damage has been done, but feel its important to highlight that feel good government programs do little, if anything, to stimulate an economy. They also hurt those on the lower income brackets because as the price rises trucks like mine become too expensive for them to purchase. Congrats to Obama and company for doing the exact opposite of their intention by making life tougher for those that they purport to be helping.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I thought it would be important to dig up this thread for one very good reason. I predicted that as a result of cash for clunkers used car values would rise as the supply was stifled due to this horrendous program. Case in point my truck. I own a 2000 F150 XLT 4x4 that I use for getting around in bad weather, general hauling, etc. I've owned it for the last 6 years and I check its used value from time to time. Last time I checked it was over a year ago and it came up about $8400. Today I just checked it and the value has risen to $9500. Now I am not one to complain about this rise in value of an asset that I own, but I do recognize that my truck isn't the only one that has gone up in value. If I were to try to replace it with a newer truck my guess those values also remain artificially high due to cash for clunkers. I realize the damage has been done, but feel its important to highlight that feel good government programs do little, if anything, to stimulate an economy. They also hurt those on the lower income brackets because as the price rises trucks like mine become too expensive for them to purchase. Congrats to Obama and company for doing the exact opposite of their intention by making life tougher for those that they purport to be helping.

Hilarious!

For the first time in over 5 years, americans are buying and driving more american cars then ever before. During EVERY republican president since Ronald Reagan, domestic auto sales fell to their lowest levels crippling the american auto industry. Reagan crushed three auto makers, Bush 1 crushed 2 auto makers, BUSH 2 almost wiped out the last three auto makers in america.

Today, OBAMA has strengthened the domestic auto industry and sales are booming because of the initial jump start of the cash for clunker programs.

Good ole' boys may want to drive 12 year old 4x4's with gun racks in them, but the rest of society laugh at those vehicles. Why not just say thank you to OBAMA for saving american jobs and an entire industry?

Of course, you wont do that, he's black, so that just pisses you off.

Peace

TOS

brett636

You think brett is a "good ole boy" with a gun rack and a Rebel flag on the rear window of his F150?

I'd bet that's the image TOS wants to portray of anyone who is to the right of Karl Marx. Notice all the red herring arguments about the "strengthening" of the American auto industry, my supposed hated of black people, and the "laugh ability" of my truck due its age, but not one reference to the increasing cost of purchasing, owning, and driving an automobile these days. It just highlights why people like TOS are so disconnected from reality, and if they had their way we would be like many totalitarian states where only the privileged few can afford a vehicle and the rest of us have to get by with lesser means of transportation.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Could have sworn I heard Bush actually started it and Obama just expanded the whole scope of it. Maybe I'm wrong and I apologize in advance.
(The bailout)

moreluck

golden ticket member
Could have sworn I heard Bush actually started it and Obama just expanded the whole scope of it. Maybe I'm wrong and I apologize in advance.
(The bailout)
He may have started, but dumb one continued throwing good $$$ after bad.....and continues to do so with all of his "helping" those green companies. Gotta build them a beautiful building because the gov't doesn't have any vacant real estate they can occupy until we see how well they do.!! No, that would make too much sense.

Hilarious!

For the first time in over 5 years, americans are buying and driving more american cars then ever before. During EVERY republican president since Ronald Reagan, domestic auto sales fell to their lowest levels crippling the american auto industry. Reagan crushed three auto makers, Bush 1 crushed 2 auto makers, BUSH 2 almost wiped out the last three auto makers in america.

Today, OBAMA has strengthened the domestic auto industry and sales are booming because of the initial jump start of the cash for clunker programs.

Good ole' boys may want to drive 12 year old 4x4's with gun racks in them, but the rest of society laugh at those vehicles. Why not just say thank you to OBAMA for saving american jobs and an entire industry?

Of course, you wont do that, he's black, so that just pisses you off.

Peace

TOS

You seem to use a lot of words. But in the end you say nothing. Nothing of substance anyway. Who's black????