Casuals coming back march 15th?

Faceplanted

You'd be surprised how much easier Saturdays are currently vs working Monday, if you were thinking about making a switch. I'm just speaking from the perspective of doing it 6 days. If I was forced to choose between the two, I'd do T-Sat. This is coming from a guy who swore off working Saturday as a regular day.
you have 2 8hr every month. Once this sat crap comes to my center, all of my 8hr request will be for Monday. That's how u beat em at least 50% of the time.

ManInBrown

Wtf is a casual driver
In my local they're temporary off the street drivers hired to help cover summer vacations and peak. They are allowed to work certain dates, but have to be laid off by the beginning of January. They usually start in April. Work thru the summer and get laid off for one week in September. Then they come back and work thru Christmas. Usually the ones they like the most is hired permanent. In the past few years they've started keeping more and more. I don't know how that works with the 6 to 1 ratio but they're doing it.

PT Car Washer

In my local they're temporary off the street drivers hired to help cover summer vacations and peak. They are allowed to work certain dates, but have to be laid off by the beginning of January. They usually start in April. Work thru the summer and get laid off for one week in September. Then they come back and work thru Christmas. Usually the ones they like the most is hired permanent. In the past few years they've started keeping more and more. I don't know how that works with the 6 to 1 ratio but they're doing it.
At my building they are called FT cover drivers.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
So the consensus seems to be bottom 20-25% of drivers will be working T-S. Does anyone know if they went the volunteer route first, before forcing from the bottom up? That would be my only hope. I'm bottom 20% in my center. I still think if they asked for volunteers first I might be spared. Panickers would jump at the opportunity to avoid the clusteryouknow what that Monday will become IMO.

We have about 11-13 routes on Saturdays. Usually run around 52 during the week. Out of those 13 I think about 6 volunteered from higher on the list.

you have 2 8hr every month. Once this sat crap comes to my center, all of my 8hr request will be for Monday. That's how u beat em at least 50% of the time.

So far, Mondays haven't been all that bad here since Saturday implementation. I'd rather do a Monday, with actual lighter volume, than the crazy cuts they make Thursday and Friday around here. Some routes are actually pretty sweet on Monday.

DOK

I believe some locals my have tue-sat already written in their contracts. Where it's not in the contract they ask for volunteers then force from the bottom I imagine.

supaalex

Are they making utility drivers (full time drivers with no routes) or cover drivers (drivers who cover vacation sick jury etc ) come in Saturday? Im utility and this last week they had the cover drivers come in Saturday. But today I got the news cover drivers are going to be exempt from Saturday because "
Cover drivers will work as replacements for full time package drivers only for the purpose of covering vacations, holidays, jury duty, personal holidays, funeral leave, sick days and leaves of absence."

My understanding from what I heard someone say is since Saturday's aren't a m-friend route covers will not be forced to come in to cover.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yuppers.

Think about it for a second. Where is this work coming from? This is not unlike advancing loads during Peak, except that there is no volume coming in on Monday to make up the difference.

Locally all of our loads are on property by 9am or so Saturday morning. If they were to start Saturday delivery here they would simply start unloading trailers until about 30 minutes before start time, with whatever left over run on Monday.
It's not this cut and dry.... There will still be pickups to do and some routes have lots of pickups

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Everybody is saying it's coming, I been saying it's already here. Half of my center makes 18hr while the other half 35hr. Looks like a 2 tier wage to me.
Do these drivers get pension contributions or healthcare???? I assume they go back to the hub when there's no work in package??? Here, they have full time cover drivers and yes there is a 4 year progression but they only go back to the hub when there is no work just so they can keep their healthcare and something going into their pension. To be honest there is always someone willing to take the day off so these low senority guys can work. This is the best system and every contract ups tries to get this to change and every contract our union says no way...this will never happen.

Faceplanted

Do these drivers get pension contributions or healthcare???? I assume they go back to the hub when there's no work in package??? Here, they have full time cover drivers and yes there is a 4 year progression but they only go back to the hub when there is no work just so they can keep their healthcare and something going into their pension. To be honest there is always someone willing to take the day off so these low senority guys can work. This is the best system and every contract ups tries to get this to change and every contract our union says no way...this will never happen.
We keep having issues with seniority. "ass kissers" getting off before management asks the higher seniority drivers. They keep threatening us that they will lay off from the bottom.

We'll see

In my day the smart drivers want "tcd" got red circled and then went full time. Now these guys go straight full time so we have tons of guys making 18.xx an hour. That combined with a bunch of 23.3 and feeder openings and our center is very young. Never used to be like this

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We keep having issues with seniority and "ass kissers" getting off before management asks the higher seniority drivers. They keep threatening us that they will lay off from the bottom.

We'll see

In my day the smart drivers want "tcd" got red circled and then went full time. Now these guys go straight full time so we have tons of guys making 18.xx an hour. That combined with a bunch of 23.3 and feeder openings and our center is very young. Never used to be like this
That's what the company wants.. All 24 year olds and jack up routes 30 stops....and some of these"kids" don't care get it done skip their lunch...get hurt and get kicked to the curb... Sad.