CDL before feeder school

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I know a guy who got dqed from package and then went into feeders, he turned out ok. Package will dq you if don't look like a hustler, feeders don't care about that and if they do it's for the opposite reason.

The main concern from management in feeders, is your ability and confidence in handling

the equipment. A pkg car can kill people.... a set of doubles can kill more. (IE: liability)

Driver7906

In the building that I work out of, they've already gone through all the package drivers who signed up on the feeder list last year. A large number of drivers who signed up either turned it down or didn't make it through the training. The union just recently put up another list for people to sign up. If they don't get enough package car drivers, they're going to start down the seniority list of part-timers (inside building employees). They're hurting for feeder drivers here. I'm glad I went feeder when I did.

Johney

You need to do a year of safe driving in package before feeders will even think to look your way. One more time, if you couldn't cut it driving a package car, you won't have a chance in feeders at all.
Although our bid sheet has that requirement in it I think that's if they are bringing up p/c drivers as Jacksonville is putting drivers on that have never drove package. So not sure if it's really that important.

Mack37

Well it depends on where you’re at. If you’re at a small place than it really is a nice, easy job. If your at CACH, Indy, Worldport, etc. than it’s a different story.

Your talking dozens and dozens of different jobs with a variety of start times. They can’t train you on everything so you have to figure a lot out on your own and dispatch probably won’t even know who the hell you are half the time. Two years to get off being on call and ten years to get a day bid. It isn’t all what it’s cracked up to be.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Well it depends on where you’re at. If you’re at a small place than it really is a nice, easy job. If your at CACH, Indy, Worldport, etc. than it’s a different story.

Your talking dozens and dozens of different jobs with a variety of start times. They can’t train you on everything so you have to figure a lot out on your own and dispatch probably won’t even know who the hell you are half the time. Two years to get off being on call and ten years to get a day bid. It isn’t all what it’s cracked up to be.
You mean that you don’t get an automatic blowjob for punching in? Say it ain’t so!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's nice working at an outlying center, we all have our own tractors that are parked right where we left them, no dispatch on site or any feeder management period, I haven't even talked to my "boss" in months. Very relaxed and low key we just punch in, grab our keys and start work. Downside is we don't have as many choices as far as schedules go, but I can live with that.

Mack37

It's nice working at an outlying center, we all have our own tractors that are parked right where we left them, no dispatch on site or any feeder management period, I haven't even talked to my "boss" in months. Very relaxed and low key we just punch in, grab our keys and start work. Downside is we don't have as many choices as far as schedules go, but I can live with that.

Bingo. I wish they didn’t make it such a bitch to transfer. Not that it matters because I don’t think the big hubs would ever let you go.

To the OP, UPS is a good job but what a pain in the ass they can be. If you get your cdl on your own, consider getting on as a tto with USPS. I’ve done both and the money is about the same but there’s no real stress at usps.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
You need to do a year of safe driving in package before feeders will even think to look your way. One more time, if you couldn't cut it driving a package car, you won't have a chance in feeders at all.

my brother in law went into feeders straight from fulltime preload. never drove a package car a day in his life. plenty others went from preload as well. there is a building wide feeder list for all fulltimers here. i turned it down a couple years ago as a clerk.

Special UPS Operator

Good idea i passed my cdl test from a community college 3 days ago. Had started as package handler and filled an intent form got call hr lady telling me to bring my paper cdl.

So it is a safe bet to get ur cdl before hand. Especially especially if you are near a BIG hub or if the hub does intent forms.

Id say go for it. In m yhub I heard some ppl say thwy might be willing to prefer you over non cdl feeder candidates too.
I drove the vehicle fine. The delivering part sucked, but didn’t really get a fair shake. Not really interested in defending myself on that as I don’t care if you believe it or not. I’d just like to get people’s opinions on getting a CDL before UPS feeder school. Thanks.

wilberforce15

Package will dq you if don't look like a hustler, feeders don't care about that and if they do it's for the opposite reason.

Seriously, feeder has a much better qualification rate than package in my building.

Right trailers. To the right cities. No wrecks. Show up every day. Pass the classroom stuff. Done.

In package, some stupid customer complaint, too much backing, failing to make an impossible air commitment, missing a scan, or just not running and working through lunch enough....there are endless ways to fail.