cell phone while driving

brown_trousers

There's a few ways,like getting a concierge to sign 15 times for 15 condo units
when you leave them at the front desk,prerecording stops,and completing them
when off area,taking credit for overweights and padding miles.I'm sure some drivers
have many more imaginative ways to try to look better on the O.R.
But if they think you are padding,it adds up to stealing time to them.

Lol... I do this at a few of my stops, but I have never been told not to by a supervisor.

Have you guys ever been specifically told NOT to do this? It definitely helps my numbers. It also seems like it would keep better record of the stop by having all the suite/apt numbers recorded in the diad, as some of those numbers probably wouldnt show up on record if not recorded in the diad

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
No report generated for DM to see. Would be amazed what that report would look like. The two back first from Friday to the over paid, under educated, time stealing weasel would be small fries.

If a center has ODSe then they can see if you've done that. Especially if your on-car sup is familiar with the stops he can nail you for 1. Stealing time and 2. Wasting time. I'd be on the lookout...CYA kinda stuff. They can tell how fast you were going in ODSe.

sortaisle

Either way I was trained to go to each apartment, leave an info notice, scan them and then tie them together at the office. Still get credit for going to each apartment and a signature from the office folk.

HomeDelivery

back on topic... heard that it's a major ticket if caught.

eventhough management states not to do this while driving, i've seen it done anyways. on personal cars, truckers, ups, fedex, & usps.

I won't do it, even with bluetooth or speakerphone; that's what voicemail is for & will check it while stopped at a delivery point. Keeping my driving record clean is priority in staying with this job.

I think that's one of the reasons why HD doesn't receive/ or we can't send text messages on our scanners... while Express, Ground, & UPS can do that while on-the-road

have a good peak season!

sortaisle

Some states are harsher than others. My state gives out tickets like there's a free circus in town. I've also heard that if you're OTR or Feeder, then it's a large $$$ ticket. Also, there's a bill in the senate right now that will outlaw Bluetooth, earphones, and not allow car manufactures to install hands free devices anymore. Don't know how they'll enforce that, but that's the hearsay.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Some states are harsher than others. My state gives out tickets like there's a free circus in town. I've also heard that if you're OTR or Feeder, then it's a large $$$ ticket. Also, there's a bill in the senate right now that will outlaw Bluetooth, earphones, and not allow car manufactures to install hands free devices anymore. Don't know how they'll enforce that, but that's the hearsay.
They can't have the laws to cover ALL activities that people do while they drive......I've seen people eating a bowl of cereal with a spoon and talking on the phone while putting on mascara.,
Just drive, people!!

texan

They can't have the laws to cover ALL activities that people do while they drive......I've seen people eating a bowl of cereal with a spoon and talking on the phone while putting on mascara.,
Just drive, people!!
I laughed out loud, but it is not funny.
It is so dangerous and they could kill someone.

Sometimes I fantasize when I pass people holding up the flow of traffic going slow and weaving while talking
away on their cell phone, that I could have a zap gun.

I would pull the trigger and it would disable every electrical circuit in their auto and the cell phone
itself for one hour. Auto comes to a stop, radio, cell phone, ignition, all electrical circuits disabled.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Al you need is a window sized piece of cardboard to place on the dirver's side that says "Hang up and Drive!" The action of flashing that sign is no different than pulling down the thingy to shade your eyes from the sun.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I am Sure upDickNYupser will be here shortly to give the official definition of padding stops I am sure he would correct whatever anyone else says. So I will refrain from inserting my definition at this time.
I about fell out of my chair on this one!!!! :rofl: :rofl: I'm going to be using that in the future, I am sure!!!! LOL!! So on point I can't even type!

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I find it hard to believe that with Telematics this guy still drives with the bulkhead door open.

They discipline drivers who are caught by supervisors in person while driving the bulkhead door open. They cannot discipline drivers who show up on a report. It must be an observed offense. This guy probably has a lazy center team that doesn't go out on the road, he knows it, and he exploits it. Doesn't make it smart, though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They discipline drivers who are caught by supervisors in person while driving the bulkhead door open. They cannot discipline drivers who show up on a report. It must be an observed offense. This guy probably has a lazy center team that doesn't go out on the road, he knows it, and he exploits it. Doesn't make it smart, though.

Look for this to be addressed in our next contract.

packageguy

I've tried to talk with the guy who delivers my home. Always has the bulkhead door open. He just shrugs and keeps on delivering with it open.....every day. I said "Hey man, they're watching....." Oh, well.

I think this guy would be a great example, of putting something in his truck and then questioning him how it got there.

CAFAL

I thought I saw on the news about a year ago that a law was passed or trying to be passed about commercial drivers using cell phones while operating their vehicle. I wouldn't be to against it considering when I'm driving personal or commercial I'm focused on driving. Too many accidents and lives lost to texting while driving.

Not sure if everywhere but in ny it was passed in feb. $8500 fine for cell use in a commercial vehicle. Automatic suspension of license if driving a tractor. Six months i believe

over9five

Staff member
The thing I hate about these laws is that there is different laws or a stiffer penalty for CDL holders. It should be the same for everybody. I see a lot more cars swerving all over the road while the driver is babbling on the phone than I do trucks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The thing I hate about these laws is that there is different laws or a stiffer penalty for CDL holders. It should be the same for everybody. I see a lot more cars swerving all over the road while the driver is babbling on the phone than I do trucks.

We had a semi plow in to a line of cars which had stopped due to road construction. 6 people died, including the daughter of a UPSer. The part of the road in question was flat with unlimited visibility, the road was dry and the weather was clear. The semi driver was distracted. Had the semi been a passenger vehicle the resulting damage and number of fatalities would have been much lower. CDL holders are professional drivers and as such should be held to a higher standard.

CAFAL

Lol... I do this at a few of my stops, but I have never been told not to by a supervisor.

Have you guys ever been specifically told NOT to do this? It definitely helps my numbers. It also seems like it would keep better record of the stop by having all the suite/apt numbers recorded in the diad, as some of those numbers probably wouldnt show up on record if not recorded in the diad

They tried to fire a guy in my building. He was delivering two stops at one office. Getting same sig twice. We were told that company policy was if you have multiple addresses and you have one person sign,then it's one stop. Left at duplicate. This was a huge deal here. Driver was written up and suspended and union did nothing,but keep his job. With orion and next version of telematics,these practices will end and we all will get twenty more stops. Like I said this is in nj district

bluehdmc

Not sure if everywhere but in ny it was passed in feb. $8500 fine for cell use in a commercial vehicle. Automatic suspension of license if driving a tractor. Six months i believe

As I understand it there is a Federal law for CDL drivers of $2750, $8500 is really over the top. Unfortunately this may not be enforced because the cop may feel sorry for the driver.

According to AAA driving and talking on a hand-held device is the equivalent of drunken driving. If the penalties were appropraite and enforced on people driving cars maybe less people would drive this way. I see people constantly driving with a phone held to their ear, even cops, some example they set.

Another trick is to put the phone on speaker and hold it.