Cell phones and electronic devices in the UPS facility

mixyo

Dispatcher
Need some clarification on this. I was always under the impression (or told at some point?) that cell phones/electronics were NOT allowed inside the UPS facility. However I have started noticing other preloaders listening to iPods and part-time sups using personal cell phones. There have even been picture taken from inside package cars posted on this forum. So are cell phones and other electronic devices allowed? What are the restrictions (if any; such as taking pictures)? Consequences?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The answers to your questions would be location specific. A good rule of thumb for PTers would be to leave your cellphones and iPods in your cars. DO NOT take pictures!

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
When I was PT, PTer's were not supposed to bring in any electronics, although now I see the same thing as you. Preloaders jamming out to their hip hop music, on their cell phones and whatever. I would ask your local steward or management member for clarification on the policy before you bring in your electronics. Cell phone cameras are SUPPOSED to be prohibited inside the building, but many drivers in my hub have snapped pics of their "quality" loads, myself included.....just don't go bragging about it.

PT Car Washer

Good advice. Yes PT sups may have a cell phone and yes they play with them all the time. PT hourlies unless you are driving, NO. Upstate is right, YMMV.

Cementups

Box Monkey
as Dave said, it is mostly location dependent. As long as it doesn't become a distraction then it's usually not a problem.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Our building is a major hub and cell phones and personal electronics are allowed, however you have to go to the LP office and get them registered and put a sticker on the device. inside employees can listen to music on their iPods or phones including ear buds as long as one ear is free.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
In my hub, you can bring in whatever you want, no stickers required. Every once in a while my center manager will ban ipods for a week if misloads are high...like it makes a difference lol.

djkre8r

They are allowed in our center because it is small. I was told the music was part of my miss load problem. Let me take the ear phones out and see how fast I get distracted by others including sups! I have gone a whole day with ear buds in and not plugged up to anything just to see how many talk to me. Was a fun experiment.

In our hub we have been allowed radios and then they were taken away, now they are allowing headphones in one ear only. Seems pretty reasonable now and everyone is quite a bit happier.

brown metal coffin

Same here as far as you have to get the phone registered with LP. The main reason for that but what they don't always share is that this will show verification of ownership and that you did not steal the phone if the question is raised against you. There was a time that were having a problem with cell phones being stolen out of packages in the hub.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Who is Davis?

President+Obama+Speaks+Economy+UPS+Facility+Jm4yNVDMR1Ql.jpg

You gotta recognize this guy.
President+Obama+Speaks+Economy+UPS+Facility+Jm4yNVDMR1Ql.jpg