Cell phones instead of IVIS in tractors

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When you do your pretrip tomorrow morning read the bottom of the page. It says something to the effect that you have reviewed the DVIR for any work completed and/or open write-ups.

P

pickup

Because they can? This thread is the first I've heard of a cellphone type IVIS....FNN is running behind.

FNN is alive and well. The first post is proof positive of this. The ivis that is currently in use has buttons for initiating and ending a cell phone call. They just don't seem to work right now.

Two years ago on my yearly ride, I had a sup make an off hand remark about how to make a call with it and he was about to show me how to do it until he realized who he was going to show how to. And then he decided not to do it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

IVIS cost $3000 smartphone $100. Tractors, trailers and dollies will all have gps also. No more pulling wrong loads!!

Educate this non-feeder person-------why would the dollies need to have GPS? Couldn't they just have a barcode on a metal plate that you could scan to make sure that you are pulling the right trailer?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Educate this non-feeder person-------why would the dollies need to have GPS? Couldn't they just have a barcode on a metal plate that you could scan to make sure that you are pulling the right trailer?

1. GPS is cheap.

2. Someone other than the driver would have to scan the barcode to establish the starting point.

3. Your 'metal plate', between dirt and corrosion, will soon become unreadable.

DOK

When you do your pretrip tomorrow morning read the bottom of the page. It says something to the effect that you have reviewed the DVIR for any work completed and/or open write-ups.
In our center you do have to technically look at the book to verify nothing was wrong with the truck, no need to sign everyday here.

B

BrownCubster

Please elaborate if you can. Will the cell phone capabilities of the ivis be activated? As for the dvirs, many other companies such as Schneider already use the onboard computer for them. I look forward to such a capability as the red tags will now be in the system and a trailer and/or tractor won't be dispatched until the written problem is addressed.

We have a few dispatchers and a manager who like to walk out to the tractor parking area and rip off the last page of the dvir off of the tractors they feel don't have problems even though they were written up. Not surprisingly , this seems to happen when tractors are needed.

Hopefully they won't be able to do the same thing with a computer key but if they can, hopefully there will be a record of the editing.
I brought a tractor to the shop with a writeup and the shop manager just signed it ok to operate without even looking at the writeup. thankfully it was not a safety issue.

B

BrownCubster

IVIS cost $3000 smartphone $100. Tractors, trailers and dollies will all have gps also. No more pulling wrong loads!!
I heard the building will be getting a bar code reader and evry piece of equipment will have a bar code. no more calling in at the phones.