Cell phones instead of IVIS in tractors

P

pickup

I heard the building will be getting a bar code reader and evry piece of equipment will have a bar code. no more calling in at the phones.

We have a system in place for a while now, maybe two years where we don't have to lift the phone when we come in. That's if everything works. When we get close to the destination hub, the hub's system and the ivis start interacting. When you pull up and hit TA (turnaround), the two systems really start interacting and you will end up having a bay assignment or a yard spot assignment for your trailer.

Sometimes , you get a "failure " message and you will
have to pick up the phone at the inbound gate. The failure can be due to a variety of factors too numerous to list. But I would say there is about an 80 percent chance of successful inbounding with the ivis and the hub system. The success rate in the outbounding is quite higher.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I could see them being similar to what Amazon security uses at the gate. It would make sense to be portable so the equipment could be scanned in instead of typed.

I know of 5 loads that were either left on the yard or pulled to incorrect locations since I've been in feeders. One was a set of air going to SDFAS on a holiday weekend that a driver from another hub brought in by accident. It wasn't found during a yard audits over the weekend and was something like 6,000 pieces of late air.

I'm always amazed at meet points when other drivers hand off a set without signatures on the paperwork. Of course those are the guys who never post trip when they drop or go beyond their front landing gear before leaving. Incredibly, most are wearing patches on their shirts so I guess it has worked out OK for them.