center manager's Questionable Safety Demonstration

Raw

Raw Member
I also get EDD and go through it to see what kind of day I am going to have. Is that also wrong?
I always wait until I punch in before getting EDD, I just can`t do anything off the clock, it`s not in my genes!! UPS get`s more than their fair share of my time and my missed family functions when I`m on the clock! :sad-little:

whiskey

Sometimes I do my first 5 stops before I punch in, just to help out. Is that OK?

Sometimes I deliver 5 stops out of my car on the way home. Usually it allows me to stay under nine five. Because I didn't make "the call". But I have to stop complete them in my board as DR FD. So five stops show up in my board all together, all DRed just before nine five. But it is very relaxing to deliver out of my own car, at my own speed, which is very, very slow. Just to help out. Is that OK?

Raw

Raw Member
Sometimes I deliver 5 stops out of my car on the way home. Usually it allows me to stay under nine five. Because I didn't make "the call". But I have to stop complete them in my board as DR FD. So five stops show up in my board all together, all DRed just before nine five. But it is very relaxing to deliver out of my own car, at my own speed, which is very, very slow. Just to help out. Is that OK?

Only if your a UPSTATENY brown nose! :wink2:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

When you request an 8 hour do put the extra stops in your garage for delivery at your liesure?:peaceful:

dave991

Lead, don't follow.
Whisky is right on, in fact I bought a beach-cruiser bicycle with a basket on the front, mirrors, a small horn, and reflector tape. Now I just load all the smalls for my home area into my personal vehicle. When I get home, I break out the orange vest I borrowed and wheel about my neighborhood and get to spend quality time with each customer. Sometimes I let my children deliver as well........is this wrong?????

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Things are so stupid with safety right now that none of this surprises me. I'm all for safety and following methods (including handrail use) but it's out of control. I think the new district structure has further removed the decision makers from the operations resulting in a bunch of silly ideas that actually do zero to improve the safety picture.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Things are so stupid with safety right now that none of this surprises me. I'm all for safety and following methods (including handrail use) but it's out of control. I think the new district structure has further removed the decision makers from the operations resulting in a bunch of silly ideas that actually do zero to improve the safety picture.

I'm pretty sure some of the former decision makers were doing some pretty stupid things also, not to mention intimidating people into not reporting them and making sure anyone with a reported injury was treated like a criminal.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I'm pretty sure some of the former decision makers were doing some pretty stupid things also, not to mention intimidating people into not reporting them and making sure anyone with a reported injury was treated like a criminal.

I haven't witnessed the intimidation you're referring to but there will always be things that appear to be stupid in our eyes. Some of it is just stuff we don't agree with, and some of it really is stupid. Maybe silly would be a better word for what I see happening with safety right now. Rather than the silly walk through a package car on the way to work, how about if a medical professional talked to the group about the impact on knees and ankles if a handrail isn't used over time. Maybe the doctors that perform DOT physicals should ask us if we're using handrails and then lecture us if we say no. Even videos that present medical information on the benefits of handrail use would be better. We're not willing to invest in medical professionals and technology to make the case, and there's no guidance from corporate health and safety so the districts come up with silly stuff (probably some sillier than others).

JonFrum

If you think you can get away with it, why not poke fun at them by scheduling a Safety PCM showing a clip from Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks. :happy-very:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would have gone ahead and climbed thru the car on my way in...and then demanded that my start time be adjusted accordingly, with a grievance filed if necessary.

It may sound petty to argue over 2 or 3 minutes of pay, but I work for a company that has been threatening discipline over 90-second Telematics discrepancies. That mentality ought to work both ways.

UPS wrote the book on splitting hairs and pole-vaulting over mouse turds. All I would be doing is reading from it.

dave991

Lead, don't follow.
I wonder what would have happened if someone would have slipped tripped and fell, climbing through the pkg car, after all your not on the clock until you punch in.....would this have been deemed an off the job injury????

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I wonder what would have happened if someone would have slipped tripped and fell, climbing through the pkg car, after all your not on the clock until you punch in.....would this have been deemed an off the job injury????

The scenario described would most definately have been a work-related injury. You were at work and being instructed to perform a work-related function, and the fact that you had not yet been given the opportunity to punch the clock would be irrelevant.

MissedBusiness

NotReallyAMember
They park trucks all ova the yard lately. theres one in front of the carwash right now with a big sign that sez "scan-dont stare".
Couple weeks ago it was a truck with its front wheel on a bicycle.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had another demonstration this past Tuesday. Our safety sup drew an intersection (in chalk) in the parking lot. It was a four lane intersecting with another four lane. She used a sup and an hourly as vehicles and went through several different scenarios. She also wrote the five factors to consider when approaching an intersection. It was actually an informative demonstration. The only part that was laughable was when she wrote L R L in big letters at the end of the driveway.