Central Region Saturday Ground

10 Pt

I presume that the customer will pay the same shipping charges for a Saturday delivery as M-friend?
I heard that Amazon is looking forward to getting away from FDX Home/Ground.
I know the post office is freaking out.

LeadBelly

Banned
I presume that the customer will pay the same shipping charges for a Saturday delivery as M-friend?
Correct, the only charges will be a 3 dollar and 50 cent charge for a commercial pickup which qualifies you for a commercial delivery.

LeadBelly

Banned
True

Like I said, a few exceptions. This means what I said was true.

And these types of accounts are the majority of our pickups.

Yes, a few of the exceptions.

Huh?

Who is going to process these exceptions that were picked up on Saturday.

In order for your claim of a more processed Monday delivery schedule, there will have to be hubs working a Saturday night sort to process these trailers and then move them Saturday night to the centers for a Monday delivery.

So I will say it again....

There will be no Saturday pickups, except for a few exceptions. They may pickup a few accounts on Saturday, but for the most part, what comes in Saturday morning will be all there is for Saturday and Monday.
We pick up certain Saturday accounts now. With the new Saturday service, we will be making pickups on Thursday, and Friday that we never got because of Saturday delivery. Once this service is implemented across the board all three days Thursday through Saturday will trickle in on Monday. Ups objective is to ultimately speed up the lanes across the board. This will help us complete in certain lanes that fed ex beats us in. Stay tuned and we'll see.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We pick up certain Saturday accounts now.

Yes we do, but we do not have hubs working a Saturday night sort to process these packages and get them sorted.

With the new Saturday service, we will be making pickups on Thursday, and Friday that we never got because of Saturday delivery.

Yes, we will be picking up packages that were slated for a 2 day delivery. They will now be delivered on Saturday instead of Monday. We will get some that went to FedEx or the USPS because they delivered on Saturday. The rest of the pickups will remain the same.

Saturday delivery is not designed to speed up the shipping time of any other packages except for the 99% Saturday residential.

Once this service is implemented across the board all three days Thursday through Saturday will trickle in on Monday.

No, the packages slated for a Saturday delivery will be delivered on Saturday. The business packages that came in Saturday morning will sit until Monday. There will be nothing else coming in on Monday except a few exceptions, but not enough to matter.

Ups objective is to ultimately speed up the lanes across the board.

This will happen for the packages slated for delivery on Saturday. They will basically be sped up by a day. Delivered on Saturday instead of Monday, with 99% being residential. To speed up lanes that would not normally be delivered until Tuesday, UPS needs to at least run feeder jobs Saturday or Sunday to move these loads. It is possible that this will happen, then trailers may be arriving for the Monday morning sort that normally would not be there until Tuesday.

But this is not what the Saturday delivery is about, and these feeder loads are not moving, or Saturday pickups are not being processed yet. Will this change? Probably some time in the future.

This will help us complete in certain lanes that fed ex beats us in.

Yes it will, but only for Saturday residential. And Amazon is trying to build their own delivery system and Walmart wants customers to choose delivery to a local store.

Pretty soon, we will not have any shippers left that really want this Saturday delivery.

Stay tuned and we'll see.

I do foresee in the future moving some of these loads on the weekend, or even running limited Saturday or Sunday sorts to move the Saturday pickups, but it has nothing to do with Saturday delivery.

These are two separate concepts.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Why should they freak out... How much surepost are they getting from ups and fedex per year..... Millions!!!

I've been with UPS for over 22 years and recently transferred. We start the T-S schedule this week and since I have low hub seniority I am scheduled to work T-S. Article 22 (b) says that no employee with seniority date prior to August 1, 2008 will be forced onto a Tuesday through Saturday work week. The union is stumped and so are the supervisors here because this is not a hub enforced schedule its a nationwide change. I was wondering if anyone knows or heard anything about transfers hired prior to 2008 forced to work T-S? Any help would be appreciated.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I've been with UPS for over 22 years and recently transferred. We start the T-S schedule this week and since I have low hub seniority I am scheduled to work T-S. Article 22 (b) says that no employee with seniority date prior to August 1, 2008 will be forced onto a Tuesday through Saturday work week. The union is stumped and so are the supervisors here because this is not a hub enforced schedule its a nationwide change. I was wondering if anyone knows or heard anything about transfers hired prior to 2008 forced to work T-S? Any help would be appreciated.
i'm not up to speed on union language but i don't believe your pre-2008 hire date has anything to do with your t-s seniority which is based on your transfer date

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i'm not up to speed on union language but i don't believe your pre-2008 hire date has anything to do with your t-s seniority which is based on your transfer date

This is correct.

Had you stayed put you would not be affected by the change but since you voluntarily applied for the transfer you have no protections when it comes to having your schedule changed.

LeadBelly

Banned
Since I assume you transferred for educational purposes you keep you seniority for weeks of vacation and your wages, but go to the bottom of the list for everything else. Your pre 2008 wouldn't apply in this senecio.

LeadBelly

Banned
Yes we do, but we do not have hubs working a Saturday night sort to process these packages and get them sorted.

Yes, we will be picking up packages that were slated for a 2 day delivery. They will now be delivered on Saturday instead of Monday. We will get some that went to FedEx or the USPS because they delivered on Saturday. The rest of the pickups will remain the same.

Saturday delivery is not designed to speed up the shipping time of any other packages except for the 99% Saturday residential.

No, the packages slated for a Saturday delivery will be delivered on Saturday. The business packages that came in Saturday morning will sit until Monday. There will be nothing else coming in on Monday except a few exceptions, but not enough to matter.

This will happen for the packages slated for delivery on Saturday. They will basically be sped up by a day. Delivered on Saturday instead of Monday, with 99% being residential. To speed up lanes that would not normally be delivered until Tuesday, UPS needs to at least run feeder jobs Saturday or Sunday to move these loads. It is possible that this will happen, then trailers may be arriving for the Monday morning sort that normally would not be there until Tuesday.

But this is not what the Saturday delivery is about, and these feeder loads are not moving, or Saturday pickups are not being processed yet. Will this change? Probably some time in the future.

Yes it will, but only for Saturday residential. And Amazon is trying to build their own delivery system and Walmart wants customers to choose delivery to a local store.

Pretty soon, we will not have any shippers left that really want this Saturday delivery.

I do foresee in the future moving some of these loads on the weekend, or even running limited Saturday or Sunday sorts to move the Saturday pickups, but it has nothing to do with Saturday delivery.

These are two separate concepts.
I disagree with some of what you have to say and agree with a little. Other than that your reply is just to long and would require to much effort. Do not the line when I'm right about much of what I said everyone will forget that I said it. I'm totally at peace with this.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Are you in the Southern California area???

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I disagree with some of what you have to say and agree with a little. Other than that your reply is just to long and would require to much effort. Do not the line when I'm right about much of what I said everyone will forget that I said it. I'm totally at peace with this.

I never forget what you say, good or bad.

I'll sum up my long post.

Saturday delivery is not about speeding up some of the shipping lanes to compete with FedEx.

Saturday delivery is about pleasing shippers like Amazon, Walmart, Kohl's, etc, who want us to deliver on Saturdays. In a way, we would be speeding up these residential deliveries by a day, but not much of the business stops.

This Saturday delivery of mostly residential will play havoc on the dispatches on Monday.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Saturday delivery is not about speeding up some of the shipping lanes to compete with FedEx.

Saturday delivery is about pleasing shippers like Amazon, Walmart, Kohl's, etc, who want us to deliver on Saturdays. In a way, we would be speeding up these residential deliveries by a day, but not much of the business stops.

This Saturday delivery of mostly residential will play havoc on the dispatches on Monday.
For now.....maybe?

If you look closely at the language, that was put in place long ago, what's happening now is just the tip of the iceberg and will likely be a fluid process of our Company transitioning into a 24/7 company.

If you ask me, it's time for this Company to start forging the future, rather than chase it.....

.....that is if they can see past the stock ticker.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
For now.....maybe?

If you look closely at the language, that was put in place long ago, what's happening now is just the tip of the iceberg and will likely be a fluid process of our Company transitioning into a 24/7 company.

If you ask me, it's time for this Company to start forging the future, rather than chase it.....if they can see past the stock ticker.
Are you suggesting having a night preload and delivery crew???

LeadBelly

Banned

Some play chess one move at a time, while others play many moves ahead. Only time will tell if what I say is right. I've got the time and the seniority to wait it out. Your move!

LeadBelly

Banned
Are you suggesting having a night preload and delivery crew???
No, but you can see a Saturday day hub operation down the hill can't you? Day sorts happenen in many strategic places and feeders already moves in some places 7 days a week. I don't know about you , but I see a lot of these changes coming. We could keep it all the same and get passed by.