Central Region Saturday Ground

Coldworld

60 months and counting
No, but you can see a Saturday day hub operation down the hill can't you? Day sorts happenen in many strategic places and feeders already moves in some places 7 days a week. I don't know about you , but I see a lot of these changes coming. We could keep it all the same and get passed by.
I hear you... And agree with you...if we want ups to continue to pay us more and keep the benefits we need to have more volume and looks like this could produce more volume....

LeadBelly

Banned
I hear you... And agree with you...if we want ups to continue to pay us more and keep the benefits we need to have more volume and looks like this could produce more volume....
I'm going to be making 36.29 an hour by the end of the next contract. I hope ups stays competitive.

LeadBelly

Banned
I'd entertain working the 11pm-7am package car route....
When I first started driving I was laid off a lot. I worked twi, night, and night sort preload. There was this one time that I was asked to go out and deliver at about 8 pm. I was given about 65 stops in the country. It was very peaceful, but looking back on it, I'm lucky I didn't get shot. Delivery is a day time job when you are going to people's houses.

PT Car Washer

No, but you can see a Saturday day hub operation down the hill can't you? Day sorts happenen in many strategic places and feeders already moves in some places 7 days a week. I don't know about you , but I see a lot of these changes coming. We could keep it all the same and get passed by.
Our buildings Sunday daysort is scheduled to end the middle of July. About the same time we are going live with Saturday Ground. Go figure.

10 Pt

Why should they freak out... How much surepost are they getting from ups and fedex per year..... Millions!!!
But they can't afford to lose any volume or customers because they're always writing their checks with red ink.

10 Pt

I'd entertain working the 11pm-7am package car route....
I can hear the shell going into the chamber now.
When I first started driving I was laid off a lot. I worked twi, night, and night sort preload. There was this one time that I was asked to go out and deliver at about 8 pm. I was given about 65 stops in the country. It was very peaceful, but looking back on it, I'm lucky I didn't get shot. Delivery is a day time job when you are going to people's houses.
Make sure you sound your horn every ten seconds, yell "UPS", and beat on the door when you leave the pkg.
That's displaying good methods and customer service ya know.

Distracted driver

Distracted Driver
Does anyone have knowledge of how seniority and language will affect how Saturday Ground will work in the Central?

Various drivers have speculated that if you were a driver before the Saturday language was added to the contract that you could not be required to switch to a Tue-Sat shift and you retain your right to do your own route on Monday.

If your route is mostly residential and is nearly all done on Saturday can they claim your route is "not in" or eliminated on Monday, or do you have the right to follow what little is left of your route?

If your remaining stops on Monday are split 2 or 3 ways do you have the right to choose by seniority (follow your work)...or is this a "temporary change" in operations?
Basically since Saturday ground was initiated in upstate New York they are being able to cut 40 more routes a center which of course saves this multi billion dollar company a ton of money so as far as people saying this Saturday ground will add more jobs is once again a lie

Distracted driver

Distracted Driver
If you read my earlier post, I do agree that it will most likely change in the future.

But for the time being, Saturday ground is about appeasing the big shippers that want us to delivery on Saturday.
Your correct I'm sure it will grow in the future and then it will lead to Sunday ground. Why because people want the stuff they order as soon as possible. Shippers know that and will cater to all to grow thier business and that is what corporate America is all about

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
@wide load and @babboo25 didn't believe me when I told them this. They didn't think any routes, or not many, would be cut on Monday due to this Saturday ground.

Welcome to reality.
If your center is all residential, I get the need to cut. But in my center of 64 routes, only 8 will be T-S. Between business and pickups, there is no way in hell they are cutting 40 routes on a Monday.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If your center is all residential, I get the need to cut. But in my center of 64 routes, only 8 will be T-S. Between business and pickups, there is no way in hell they are cutting 40 routes on a Monday.

I agree they will not cut 40 routes out of 64, but I bet you they will cut around 20%-30%

I'll bet you a 12 pack of your choice.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If you have pickups that are use to a 4pm pu and they are now getting picked up at 2 that is not going to fly... Guaranteed!!!! The 1800 number will be bombarded with complaints

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If you have pickups that are use to a 4pm pu and they are now getting picked up at 2 that is not going to fly... Guaranteed!!!! The 1800 number will be bombarded with complaints

I don't see that happening regularly, but I do see the businesses used to getting their deliveries at 11:00 AM now getting delivered at 1:00 PM due to routes being eliminated and combined on Mondays.