Central States going broke---

Inthegame

I believe that if a pension plan reaches that 100% level it will have enough monetary funds in their kitty to pay the promised benefits without any further employer contributions according to their investment returns, which changes year to year.
That's the actuarial theory (at that moment in time), and if returns match assumptions, it works and should cover retirees indefinitely.

Your statement also factors in no future increases in monthly benefits for active participants (when they retire), which contradicts expectations.

Remember each active employee is increasing the liability obligation on the fund as they accrue additional credits. So to keep a plan healthy, additional contributions need to be negotiated which seems to be beyond the comprehension of employers when they bargain new contracts if the plan shows high funding levels.

So what extra we contribute is on top of the company's contribution. Not in lieu of.
Pension contributions are based on 40 hours. So the hourly rate that you are not making anymore because you diverted some of it to the pension plan you are losing out on that money on overtime and the company gets the pocket that money
Plus the company is off to pay the matching social security and Medicare benefits on that diverter money and nor Do you get credit for that money for your social security
Unfortunately people do not know how to save for themselves if they did it'd be much better to put that money into your own 401K or IRA

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Pension contributions are based on 40 hours. So the hourly rate that you are not making anymore because you diverted some of it to the pension plan you are losing out on that money on overtime and the company gets the pocket that money
Plus the company is off to pay the matching social security and Medicare benefits on that diverter money and nor Do you get credit for that money for your social security
Unfortunately people do not know how to save for themselves if they did it'd be much better to put that money into your own 401K or IRA
I'm not sure what the exact amount of company contribution is. I know it's a fixed amount for our local, not attached to our hourly rate.

I'm not sure what the exact amount of company contribution is. I know it's a fixed amount for our local, not attached to our hourly rate.
what I'm trying to say is the contributions that you are given away from your paycheck is based on 40 hours

Maybe @BigUnionGuy can elaborate on
I know where I'm at The company is paying over $600 a week entire pension plan it's very closer to 6:30

Karma...

balance the fund by either negotiating with ups or by shifting some of your raise monies into the fund......some smart locals have been doing that for years while other locals have not and are in trouble.......

balance the fund by either negotiating with ups or by shifting some of your raise monies into the fund......some smart locals have been doing that for years while other locals have not and are in trouble.......
In some locals have put the raises into their fund and it's still underfunded
People may take personal responsibility for themselves and put money away in 401ks and IRAs