Central States going broke---

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A buy out is generally a bad deal anyway unless you plan to die in a few years but yeah, at 40 years it makes zero sense.

Explain please. Serious question. Keep in mind, I'm only 58.

What I consider: By average life span tables, I'll live maybe about 15 more years give or take. It's truly unknown. No man has lived past 72 in my family....ever. My wife has cancer....we really don't know where that's going.

Interestingly, my Bro in Law just retired from AT&T. He got a lump sum payout....in his hands. Now, will UPS be there 30 years from now or even a pension? Good question. Look at all the Central States folks left holding the bag. Just when they reach true retirement age and find employment difficult....they're down to nuthin. Sound good?

Now, I'm still working because I'll (probably) make another near million to add to whatever I have now...then the plan is to draw....keeping in mind my wife's situation and free insurance. SSI and Medicare will kick in about then.

Again my financial guy says "why retire at your peak earning potential?".

I'm belittled and smeared because I'm still working....but then these a wholes don't know me. The plan works for me. Always has....for 40 years. Interestingly, a lot of these a wholes have worked for 40 years also(give or take) but just at crappy jobs and bad decisions...

I've just had a good paying job, free insurance and all the rest for 40 good years. I think a ton of bitter jealousy drives most of it.

I don't pay ANY ex-wives or any of that crap. Daughters out of school and married with a good job and we don't have any of her school debt. Life is pretty good with a few nice toys to pass the weekends. Better than even some folks here on BC.

I say all this because as usual, I'm attacked for just not being like these a wholes(for whatever reason).

About that buyout.......only if the number is good enough. I wouldn't just take anything.

So FFS.....why rip me a new one for the above? BTW, I'm in great health...good knees and back.

BTW....I like what working affords me....a really nice home and plenty of pocket money and no worries about our health care.
Know of many package drivers over 60. The young drivers don’t understand why they work. These old guys say “I’m in good health, have no pressure at my job. Why retire?”

1) Free medical/dental/vision
2) 7 weeks vacation
3) 5 option days, 5+ Sick days
4) increasing pension payout for every hour
worked.

Know of many package drivers over 60. The young drivers don’t understand why they work. These old guys say “I’m in good health, have no pressure at my job. Why retire?”

2) 7 weeks vacation
worked.
But you can't buy time

PT Car Washer

2) 7 weeks vacation
worked.
Gets me out of the house at least once a day. Important in the Winter months. Jobs not that hard.

Total agreement, but there are definitely people who would struggle without work to give structure to their day. Like that guy up in MA who worked for 50 years or whatever (he might still be there). Someone like that is probably better off working til they die.
I'm at that point right now I'm not sure what to do

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm at that point right now I'm not sure what to do
Take 5 weeks straight vacation and see how it feels. If you're climbing the walls then maybe you should keep working. I knew two guys who had over 30 years and no sign of quitting then they went out on disability for an extended time (one had an accident the other had a medical procedure) and it was like a light came on and they realized there was another life outside of UPS. They each retired within a year of coming back.

rod

Retired 22 years
Take 5 weeks straight vacation and see how it feels. If you're climbing the walls then maybe you should keep working. I knew two guys who had over 30 years and no sign of quitting then they went out on disability for an extended time (one had an accident the other had a medical procedure) and it was like a light came on and they realized there was another life outside of UPS. They each retired within a year of coming back.
Even 7 straight weeks of vacation wouldn't give a person the true feeling of being retired from UPS. The one thing about vacations that sucks is that in the back of your mind you know you have to go back to the same old grind eventually. Being retired takes that out of the equation.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Even 7 straight weeks of vacation wouldn't give a person the true feeling of being retired from UPS. The one thing about vacations that sucks is that in the back of your mind you know you have to go back to the same old grind eventually. Being retired takes that out of the equation.
I agree it's not like being retired, but it might help you figure out if you're gonna be bored or have trouble finding stuff to do. I never did that btw, I think I took 3 weeks in a row once and that was it. But I never had any doubts about retiring either.