Central states- ground pay for air drivers

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yep.

"When an employee is required to spend more than one (1) hour, but less than four (4) hours, of his/her workday upon a job providing a higher rate of pay, he/she shall receive four (4) hours’ guarantee at the higher rate; for work in excess of four (4) hours at a higher pay classification, he/she shall receive eight (8) hours’ guarantee at a higher rate."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18centralregionsupp.pdf

My Local has 22.3 yard shifters that clean up on this language. They are paid feeder

rate while working the yard, one click over 4 hours.... and top rate all day. During

peak, they can work 15-16 hours in the yard. Some don't want to go home.

-Bug-

ARTICLE 40. AIR OPERATION
Preamble
In order for the Employer, the Union and the employees to further benefit from the expanding air operations, the following Sections shall supersede language on the same subjects in the Supplements, Riders and Addenda, unless specifcally stated otherwise in this Article.

All I'm saying is Article 40 provides for the penalty of top scale ground pay when air drivers deliver ground....and Article 40 stands alone.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Preamble
In order for the Employer, the Union and the employees to further benefit from the expanding air operations, the following Sections shall supersede language on the same subjects in the Supplements, Riders and Addenda, unless specifcally stated otherwise in this Article.

All I'm saying is Article 40 provides for the penalty of top scale ground pay when air drivers deliver ground....and Article 40 stands alone.

Yes it does, for the time they are delivering.

When they are done air driving, and start sweeping floors for their other hours, Article 40 does not afford them drivers rate to sweep floors.

The Central does, if they air drove more than 4 hours, delivering ground, and getting ground rate for those 4+ hours.

They then get ground rate for sweeping floors, or preloading, or unloading.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes it does, for the time they are delivering.

When they are done air driving, and start sweeping floors for their other hours, Article 40 does not afford them drivers rate to sweep floors.

The Central does, if they air drove more than 4 hours, delivering ground, and getting ground rate for those 4+ hours.

They then get ground rate for sweeping floors, or preloading, or unloading.

....yeah, but this was the question asked by the OP (as you are fond of pointing out):

Air drivers delivering ground are paid ground rate all day after how many hours? I have been told Northern Plains you get paid all day ground rate after 4 hours. What is Central States?

I'll agree there are other wrinkles, such as "extra work" and "22.3 bid" content that would not qualify for the Company to pay this so-called penalty, but I continue to assert:

Article 40 provides for the penalty of top scale ground pay when air drivers deliver ground....and Article 40 stands alone.

....and the Central Region Supplement has no standing in the Northern Plains.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Preamble

It supercedes language in supplements and riders, except where it says it doesn't. The problem is that Article 40 does not specify what portion of the shift the penalty pay applies to. If a supplement said that there would be no penalty pay, that language would be superceded. But a supplement could fill in the blanks left by the master in regards to how long the penalty pay would apply. That is clearly how it works since the company follows the rules set out in the supplements regarding this issue.

The only question that remains is what language applies to the OP? I've never heard of Northern Plains, and can't find any reference to it, so my guess is that the central region supplement applies.

PT Car Washer

It supercedes language in supplements and riders, except where it says it doesn't. The problem is that Article 40 does not specify what portion of the shift the penalty pay applies to. If a supplement said that there would be no penalty pay, that language would be superceded. But a supplement could fill in the blanks left by the master in regards to how long the penalty pay would apply. That is clearly how it works since the company follows the rules set out in the supplements regarding this issue.

The only question that remains is what language applies to the OP? I've never heard of Northern Plains, and can't find any reference to it, so my guess is that the central region supplement applies.
I am in the Northern Plains District and also fall under the Central Region supplement. One is a UPS organizational division and the other is a legal labor contract.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Can someone explain to me what northern plains is in regard to contract language?

Nothing.

The problem is that Article 40 does not specify what portion of the shift the penalty pay applies to

Yes it does.

It specifies air driver.

If it's a combo job, like an exception air driver and preloader, he is not an air driver while he's preloading, is he?

For the time he is an air driver, doing air driver work, he gets top package rate for that entire time if he delivers or picks up ground.

The only question that remains is what language applies to the OP?

That is the question.

I've never heard of Northern Plains, and can't find any reference to

There isn't any.

I think North Dakota and Minnesota have their own supplement.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I am in the Northern Plains District and also fall under the Central Region supplement. One is a UPS organizational division and the other is a legal labor contract.
....which is why I have always said this forum is usually a terrible place to sort out what may be regional or local issues???

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Nothing.

Yes it does.

It specifies air driver.

If it's a combo job, like an exception air driver and preloader, he is not an air driver while he's preloading, is he?

For the time he is an air driver, doing air driver work, he gets top package rate for that entire time if he delivers or picks up ground.

That is the question.

There isn't any.

I think North Dakota and Minnesota have their own supplement.

I could see the company arguing, based on what is in Article 40, that they only get ground pay for the time they handled/transported ground packages, and not the entire air shift.

Local 120 covers at least part of Minnesota, North and South Dakota, and Iowa. Maybe there was some shifting of local territory covered that affected the OP.

Maplewood

Air drivers delivering ground are paid ground rate all day after how many hours? I have been told Northern Plains you get paid all day ground rate after 4 hours. What is Central States?

Here in the West, i know our Saturday Air drivers get full scale driver wage if they touch 1 ground pkg. They are actually instructed to never take ARS pkgs.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I could see the company arguing, based on what is in Article 40, that they only get ground pay for the time they handled/transported ground packages, and not the entire air shift.

They can argue all they want, and they did.

They tried exactly that, to only pay ground rate for the time they handle ground packages

They lost. Paid ground rate the whole time they are air driving.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They can argue all they want, and they did.

They tried exactly that, to only pay ground rate for the time they handle ground packages

They lost. Paid ground rate the whole time they are air driving.

And that doesn't preclude supplements from extending the ground pay beyond the air driving work.

542thruNthru

Correct.

The Central does if you spend more than 4 hours air driving at top driver rate.

And would this pertain as well?
Screenshot_20191120-224751_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Just curious. I could be way off base.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
....which is why I have always said this forum is usually a terrible place to sort out what may be regional or local issues???

Yes it is, but the OP asked what the language was in Central States. And I believe he meant Central Region.

That answer is in black and white.

Last edited: